Player
    Character
    Lushiya Ikariname
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70

About the /simper emote

So, all this time when someone types /simper the game will say "[Person] smiles weakly at [person]".
    Searching what simper means, it got definitions like "smile in an affectedly coquettish, coy, or ingratiating manner." or "an affectedly coquettish, coy, or ingratiating smile or gesture."
    As a non-native English speaker, this was still too ambiguous for me still so I decided to further investigate what "coquettish" and "coy" meant, these were my results:
    Coquettish - "behaving in such a way as to suggest a playful sexual attraction; flirtatious."
    Coy - "making a pretense of shyness or modesty which is intended to be alluring." or "reluctant to give details about something regarded as sensitive."
    Now I could be wrong here but the person using these emotes on me has a completely different translation (since they're French), on their side, they get "Lushiya Ikariname vous sourit tendrement". While "'Lushiya Ikariname' being my character name the rest means "smiles tenderly at you."

Edit:
    I just find it weird how one translation has "smiles weakly" and the other has "smiles tenderly".

Thank you for the patience,
    Lushiya Ikariname
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Karuru Karu
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    it's because they are smiling in french - it's just more beautiful than when you smile in english. same concept as when you speak in french vs speaking in english.

hoooooowever...

that localization differences really annoy me when it comes to titles. i play in german and there is something like "Die Einsame" - wich means "The Lonely", but the english title is "of the Swirling Abyss".
    "die Seedrachenbezwingerin" (Conqueror of the Sea Dragon, or better Sea Dragon Slayer) is "of Dragon's Deep"
    "Söldnerveteran" (Veteran Mercenary) is "Lord Protector"
    "Kapitalist" (Capitalist) is "Master Caster"
    "Atheist" (i don't have to translate this one, right?) is "Myth Breaker"

i could continue this list for a while, but i think that's enough for an impression.

when i choose a specific title it should express a specific statement. but when the localization is completely different for the people around me, this statement is void - or in the worst case turns into something i actually hate.
    (1)
    Last edited by Tint; 07-05-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Player
    Character
    Rintha Elenah
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Tint View Post
    i could continue this list for a while, but i think that's enough for an impression.
    Another noteworthy title difference (at least if the lodestone is correct), is the one obtained from finishing the zeta zodiac weapon for the first time.
    "Sternenschmied/Sternenschmiedin", while the English title is simply "Z".
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lushiya Ikariname
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    While I understand what you mean, I don't find tittles to be as weird as emotes, something that's meant to express yourself in the social scene. I've heard in the german version the /hug emote simply translates to "[person] hugs you" while in english we get "[person] gives you a big hug." But in this case, "smiling weakly" and "smiling tenderly" are two completly different types of smiles, two completly different displays of emotions, now please don't take this as ranting, I just thought it was right to post this and see if we get a change due to the discrepancy. But cheers, thanks for calling this as well.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Aurelie Moonsong
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    I agree, it's not helpful if your text says one thing, but someone speaking a different language gets a different message out of it.

Also, maybe just my opinion, /simper (and a 'weak smile') is a rather negative-sounding description for what's actually one of the nicer looking smile emotes.
    (0)