Player
    Character
    Baudouin Anjou
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 70

Question about war strat and it's pros and cons

Preface: I am talking about the O5S strategy of having a warrior be the only one to go into the train for the ghost phase, use IR to kill the ghost in 2 GCDs and coming out before the party suffocates.

My question is - was it ever, at least roughly, calculated how much potency is being traded in this strat? Losing a full IR phase seems pretty big for the war and I am not entirely sure what is the exact gain in pulling the last phase a few gcds earlier from not having to kill the ghosts.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Daul Ban
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 80
    The trade is that any job going in to do the skip (most often WAR because it's the easiest) is that they might lose a small amount of DPS compared to everyone being out and ready to attack the boss at the same time. It makes lining up for buffs easier (since people aren't getting out of their ghosts and running up at the same time) and probably more importantly for pugs means that the healers don't have partially damaged tanks/dps about to get hit with the meteor markers before they can get a heal out.

WAR loses a lot of DPS mostly for the convenience of the group. RDM/SAM(?)/NIN can all do it with sufficient ilvl and with a lot less penalty to their DPS compared to 3 IR FCs and autos that the WAR is losing. Not that Pugs care nor that most DPS would bother learning to do the skips themselves.
    (0)
    One day I'll be the MT mountain I want to be... But that day is not today. (As of Patch 3.2)

Player
    Character
    King Canadane
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Using the strat actually gets your IR in sync with the ghost that pushes you from the side. So no need to hide behind a ghost box.
    It's pretty awesome overall.
    (1)

http://king.canadane.com

Player
    Character
    Dingding Ding
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 80
    It's always a group dps gain if only one get in instead of 8, it could be better if you let the RDM or NIN get in.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zyneste Azurox
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    For RDM there really isnt a DPS loss at all for doing ghost. You get more opportunity to do more damage than if you sat outside doing nothing waiting for the WAR strat. Vercure to proc Dual. Swiftcast right before the ghost grabs you. VerAero. Fleche. Contre. Verthunder. Corps and pray. lol
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Whiskey Bravo
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Nah, the biggest thing is missing IR Decimate spam on adds. But as Canadane mentions, doing the ghost cheese will at least align your IR with the upcoming knockback ghost. I still know at least 1 War tank that refuses to do the cheese because of his connection probs, but in general your just trading personal dps for raid dps. If you're going for top logs than you'd need to make someone else do the cheese. Otherwise just suck it up and do it for the group :P
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Carlo Vinne
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskeybravo View Post
    Nah, the biggest thing is missing IR Decimate spam on adds. But as Canadane mentions, doing the ghost cheese will at least align your IR with the upcoming knockback ghost. I still know at least 1 War tank that refuses to do the cheese because of his connection probs, but in general your just trading personal dps for raid dps. If you're going for top logs than you'd need to make someone else do the cheese. Otherwise just suck it up and do it for the group :P
    Well, I'd rather not kill the group due to my atrocious internet, personally, but that's just me.
    (0)