Player
    Character
    Light Khah
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinoto-no-Ryuji View Post
    We don't really need wild guessing to explain our power, is the thing. Our raw strength, while certainly formidable, isn't really that far removed from a variety of other exceptional NPC warriors, and we owe a pretty great deal of our combat prowess to the Echo and the Blessing of Light, both of which we know the source of (Hydaelyn Herself).
    If the echo is a power source why cant Minfilia fight? I am a bit curious but is there ingame evidence for that? As far as I believed echo was just the way to get out of the tempering and have a way to watch "cutscenes of the past". The blessing of light might be a bit of a power up because we have more crystals of light but we also lost the power for quite the amount of time and still kicked ass. (And its not like we can get the energy all the time or we would suck them dry too) So imo those things might help a bit but the WoL is just a very talented individual without that. (And lets not forget how sweaty Lyse was after the training while we just stood there completely unfazed)
    (1)
    Last edited by Alleo; 07-17-2018 at 03:17 AM.
    Letter from the Producer LIVE Part IX Q&A Summary (10/30/2013)
    Q: Will there be any maintenance fees or other costs for housing, besides the cost of the land and house?
    A: In older MMOs, such as Ultima Online, there was a house maintenance fee you had to pay weekly, but in FFXIV: ARR we decided against this system. Similarly, these older MMOs also had a system where your house would break down if you didn’t log in after a while in order to have you continue your subscription, but this is a thing of the past and we won't have any system like that.

Player
    Character
    Kharagal Mierqid
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 70
    There's two different powers we have from Hydaelyn. One is The Echo, the other is The Blessing of Light. Neither actually have much to do with combat prowess although they can help someone already good at combat be even better. Fordola and Zenos are good "before/after" examples.

The Echo is something a lot of people have. Some people, like us and Arenvald, use it to supplement our fighting skill. Other people like Minfilia and Krile don't. The Echo comes in three major "flavors": The Power to Transcend Words, The Power to Transcend Time and The Power to Transcend Worlds. Transcending Words has to do with translating the meaning behind what people are saying. Krile is particularly gifted in this area. Transcending Time is how we view events in the past. The WoL and Arenvald can both do this. It's also linked to how we can predict things in combat very, very well. Transcending Worlds involves traveling to the aetherial plane without getting lost in it. This is how we're able to hear Hydaelyn. Minfilia had the strongest known manifestation of this. A side product of all this is that people with the Echo can't be tempered.

As you can see, there's a bit of overlap between all three and none of the powers have anything directly to do with combat. The Echo's powers mainly involve pushing past the boundary a person's body/soul has so it can interact with various things in unusual ways. Most significantly, it's a prerequisite for becoming an Ascian.

The other power we have from Hydaelyn is The Blessing of Light. As far as we are able to tell, we're the only person who has this. This is the power behind us surviving Ultima, forming a blade of light to kill an Ascian, and things of that nature. It isn't understood very well, but it seems that it allows Hydaelyn to give us lots of aether when we need it. It also can be blocked by Midgarsormr, but given what his relationship with Hydaelyn is, that probably can't be done by anyone else. What is pretty clear from Midgardsormr's blockage, is that our strength comes less from the Blessing of Light and more from us. With the Blessing of Light blocked, we can't talk or see Hydaelyn like we used too, but our combat prowess is as lethal as ever. When the blockage is removed, our bond with Hydaelyn is stronger then before.

It's probably more accurate to say that the reason why we are the Warrior of Light is because we were really strong before we were the Warrior of Light, otherwise we wouldn't have been picked to be the Warrior of Light in the first place.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Jenna Starsong
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleo View Post
    If the echo is a power source why cant Minfilia fight?
    It's not. Not in and of itself at least. It can enhance combat ability by letting the user read the flow of aether better (WoL, Fordola, Zenos) but it won't turn a non-combatant (Minfilia, Krile, Unukalhai) into a fighter.

The Blessing of Light is similar. We were already (potentially) powerful, Echo using warriors. The blessing is a perk, not the source of our strength.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Light Khah
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 70
    Good because I really wondered why the echo is a huge power up for us if its not the case for the rest of the users. I mean Fordola got the help with being able to forsee attacks (which we dont have that much otherwise THAT spear should have been seen by us before it happened..)but this did not make her stronger. She was just able to move away from our attacks. As soon as that one part of her power was restricted she was able to be defeated quite easily by us.

Arenvald is another good point about echo being no power up. He is a fighter, has the echo and probably still trains quite hard but is nowhere near our level.

Thanks you two. I was really skeptic about us just being on normal level with the rest of NPC and the echo being the huge power up.
    (0)
    Letter from the Producer LIVE Part IX Q&A Summary (10/30/2013)
    Q: Will there be any maintenance fees or other costs for housing, besides the cost of the land and house?
    A: In older MMOs, such as Ultima Online, there was a house maintenance fee you had to pay weekly, but in FFXIV: ARR we decided against this system. Similarly, these older MMOs also had a system where your house would break down if you didn’t log in after a while in order to have you continue your subscription, but this is a thing of the past and we won't have any system like that.

Player
    Character
    Galqar Haragin
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilia View Post
    There are so many ways my character would differ from the canon Warrior of Light - she's sharper and less prone to allowing the villains to monologue - so a lot of the Garlean Emissary mini-arc would be pretty different. Instead we have a protagonist who can't figure out where Tsuyu went, who just stands there despite how heated the situation with her in Namai will quickly become, and who allows all the Tsukuyomi shenanigans despite Asahi's plan being pretty clear after the Echo flashback from their father. Charge her instead of listening to Yotsuyu ramble, or try and call out to Tsuyu! Do something, geez!
    If I could change one thing about the Warrior of Light, this would be it. I'm fine with no set backstory; I just want to be slightly less reactive. I realize certain things have to happen for plot purposes, but I feel like the WoL spends too much time standing around looking shocked in cutscenes.
    (0)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6