Through the course of the game, we hear about several characters origins, and even meet some of their family, but when it comes to the WoL, I can only think of one actual origin clue, and one false clue that I assume was from an old acquaintance. Because I picked Xaela Au'Ra I assume there might be less origin clues about what my life was like before becoming an adventure since they were a later addition to the game, Stormblood however did add one nice hint when you come across the Xaela tribes. When speaking to the Xaela merchant who sells Buz, she haphazardly insinuates that your parents must have fed you this traditional Xaela culinary dish, and I had to think, well yeah I guess they would have or could have.

What I would like Square Enix to do at some point, is allow us maybe through interaction and narrative kind of backtrack our WoL's prior history, maybe during an interview with someone, we can answer a few specific questions about what we remember growing up, and a few experiences that eventually led us to setting out toward our chosen starting city states. Maybe it's different based on race, maybe your were adopted. Maybe some of these choices could wind-up leading to the occasional correspondence from a family member or friend from your past before becoming the WoL, (we do have a mail system, maybe the writers could generate specific letters based on a multitude of previous answered questions and have someone close to you send you the occasional personal missive.) I'm not asking for fully voice acted cutscenes, but if you think about it, if they wanted to show you from a earlier point in time than when the game started they could just make it a first person perspective and angle the camera up while lowering its position to the ground to give the impression you're a small child.)

Just some quick thoughts.