Thread: SAM worth?

Player
    Character
    Auron Vale
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    Stay as SAM and get good at playing samurai. Know that the skill floor is pretty low, but the skill ceiling is pretty high. Research the job, I recommend joining the Balance discord if you're able. They have some of the best SAM advice and guides out there. Never stop improving. Because when you do finally reach those high numbers of the skilled SAM's, your groups will appreciate you for it despite the lack of utility. Your damage is your utility, so learn how to master that shit. And have fun! Samurai flows so well at 70.
    (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by alimdia View Post
    It really isn't that hard to treat other people like human beings.

Player
    Character
    Mustad Markolak
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 59
    Thank you for the tips!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Eugene Tracewood
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 87
    People treat meta comps as gospel, I've had several meta comps in PF utterly fail before halfway into the fight. They're considered "trap" parties for that reason.

Yes, there are alot of horrible SAMs, but there are horrible players on ALL jobs. SAM/BLM stick out because lolnoutility.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Delta Spirit
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    People are talking about cutting edge content, and meta comps; But I'll leave you with this.

I played SAM to start the expack. I spent hours upon hours getting denied/locked out in PF (not cutting edge content)

I came back a few weeks ago, and things haven't changed. I got my DRG to 70 and no longer am I waiting at all.

Point being is sure any job can do any content, and that is true. But I don't have (m)any friends nor do I have hours to waste in getting into a group.

If you plan on just duty finder then you'll be gravey!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ohlala Chico
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 90
    SE should just give Sam and Blm party dps buffs, ... even if just small, it would make a HUGE difference, making Sam & Blm being accepted in every PF..

(even if they are theoretically still not 100% in the "meta", everyone would accept them right away for sure.. since getting buffed is more important than a 0.01% / world first clear comp for the vast majority; meta is just an excuse to get buffing dps classes for personal fflogs)

just the slashing debuff is not enough for Sam, unless Sam's can exclusively be stacked with the Nin and War debuff
    (still prefer buffs for all, and NOT slashing, piercing, magical or physical only)
    (0)
    Last edited by Shiroe; 07-09-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Player
    Character
    Mortucus Invictus
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 41
    a well played SAM has massive DPS and no group buffs
    Massive DPS is what a dps IS FOR
    love the SAM
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Fox Dyo
    World
    Spriggan
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 80
    Can you clear all content as Samurai?
    Yes

Will it be harder on Samurai than other classes?
    Yes

The reason why it will be harder is because the community does not like Samurai for raids. Anyone who raids on a high level will lock out Samurai in Party Finder. You may ask why?
    Now if I get a Samurai who doesn't know what he's doing, he's useless. If i on the other hand get a DRG or Ninja that knows at least how to press Battle Litany, use Trick attack or apply piercing debuff, I get some utility out of them.
    Barely anyone on a high level of raiding plays Samurai, which is why the mediocre playerbase follows with the idea of "Samurai is not as good as other classes" when they don't even understand why.

The best example would be the following:
    At the release of Zurvan Warrior got locked out of it by 90% of Party Finders. This is due to tacking a supposed stack Mechanic alone with Hallowed Ground. The community sees this, they think warrior is bad and lock it out. At the same time, these people are unable to Skip Soar (Good Meme) as 5 DPS players.
    The funny thing is that Warrior was able to take the shared damage with the right cooldowns. It's just how the community works. Top players do something for them because of good reasoning, the mediocre players copy it without even knowing why.

Play Ninja or Dragoon and enjoy the easy party finder life. People will love you.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Raven Quinn
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    If you're planning to pugging raids - better to switch, honestly. Not only some people outright block SAM in PF, the massive number of SAM players (only casters seems to be more abundant) makes finding a slot in a party pretty hard.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Hashmael Lightswain
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    I find it super dumb to tell a new player their job isn't any good in end game content, when said player isn't anywhere near end game content, and may not even be especially interested in participating in end game content.

Until you hit 70, all the high end raids and trials you run will probably be unsynced (because nobody is queuing for that synced), where nothing really matters. Dungeons, with Augmented Ironworks/Shire, you'll be overgeared for the majority of leveling dungeons and the 50/60s, so it doesn't really matter.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Ohlala Chico
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 90
    the real problem is, others want to get buffed, and sam (like blm) doest not buff others..

even if in theory a bad drg is better than a bad sam, since atleast the drg buffs the others, that arguement us hardly a real reason not to take a sam (unless a player just had multiple bad exp with bad sams in a short period of time...)

sam and blm will always have some issues getting into the high end difficult raids, especially since those get parsed and everone wants a good buff / parse

(blm probably has even more issues getting into such raids, blm is very difficult and need to be good or dps will drop,..and since sam has at least slashing debuff, and there are more buffs a sam can use, like mnk brotherhood or drg dragonsight; if it takes too long to get another melee or even caster, Sam might be the valid choice)
    (0)
    Last edited by Shiroe; 07-23-2018 at 07:06 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2