Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Character
    Ceciliantas Drayce
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycbad View Post
    The survey also mentioned Chrono Trigger, which is very suspicious because none of SE's old IPs are mentioned (Mana, Parasite Eve, Brave Fencer). The fact that CT was namedropped in the survey gives me hope for a sequel...especially since Setsuna did pretty well.
    But it had a sequel! Chrono Cross :P.

They may create a third game.....aka Chrono Break.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Last Hero
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    I'm barely interested in this mmo much less a new one. I kind of feel like maybe I'm burned out on SE in general. There's only so many times one can play the same game, after all. The villains are recycled, the stories are recycled, and even the 'original' ones are so obnoxious that I kind of click through them. The most egregious example I have is the story centering around a certain sexist faction and our companion NPC saying something like, "I want to stay and learn more about these people!" and I'm literally screaming at my screen "I f****** don't!!!!" - but I have to because that's storyline and I can't just tell them to throw themselves into the desert and spin. That was mostly the end for me. Add to that the systems here that are the most player-unfriendly things I have ever seen in any mmo, including FFXI, and there isn't much left that's attractive.

I think that MMOs are going to be popular into the future... just maybe not SE mmos.
    (1)
    Last edited by Souljacker; 07-13-2018 at 02:49 AM.

Player
    Character
    Pomelo Elmbrook
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Please market DQX as a new MMO (it would be for the West) <3
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Rowan Garnet
    World
    Halicarnassus
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    I think they have been “working” on the next FF MMO. I just hope it doesn’t turn out to be a wow theme park/ cash shop it’s turned into. I feel like even though 1.0 had issues . I had lot of fun times and epic memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimilu View Post
    Is it bad that I suggested a Ivalice MMORPG on the survey? >w>
    I think this is a great idea actually, they have a bunch of different race options that would entice people alone.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Mimiji Miji
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombah View Post
    I think this is a great idea actually, they have a bunch of different race options that would entice people alone.
    The more I think about it, the more I want it.

It could be set after Tactics A2, which happens after XII and Revenant's Wing but far before the original Tactics.
    The players could be wandering hunters/adventurers, who can form their own clans like in Advance and A2 that will work like FCs + Grand Companies.
    They could have the original 5 races from Advance starting out (Hume, Banga, Moogle, Viera, and Nu Mou) and add other races with the expansions (like Aegyl, Gria, Seeq, etc).
    Jobs could function like in XII: Zodiac Age, where you have a Main Job and a secondary Job, each with a license board shaped like a picture, that you unlock skills, spells, traits, and gear with as you level.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Inglis Eucus
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    I ask for a FF7 MMORPG. It be something different than ffxi and ffxiv is like it be more in the future than the past like other two.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kitty Softclaws
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    I'll definitely not buy another game from SE. Their RNG in FF is so bad, I'm shivering in Horror if I'm thinking about suffering from it again in another game.
    Not to mention the fact that they have to complicate all simple things. No thanks.
    And one more thing. I don't like the fact that SE does not want to talk to their Player in an International language. If I'm done with FF, I'm done with SE.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Slarti Bartfast
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimilu View Post
    Is it bad that I suggested a Ivalice MMORPG on the survey? >w>
    No. That is quite good, actually.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Vardy Davout
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    Apologies if someone brought up SE's investor guidance, but attempting to divine the tea leaves here (guidance May 11, 2018), http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ne...8q4outline.pdf

Yosuke Matsuda: "I next turn to the MMO subsegment. FY2018/3 saw the release of expansion packs for FINAL FANTASY XIV and DRAGON QUEST X and both titles contributed to earnings. In particular, the release of the expansion disk for FINAL FANTASY XIV led to the highest number of paying subscribers that title has experienced since its launch."

Based on this, looks like FF14 is doing great and they're gonna keep milking it instead of releasing something new. Further:

"We expect the HD Games sub-segment to book an operating loss in 1Q FY2019/3. We will not be releasing any major new titles until the launch of SHADOW OF THE TOMB RAIDER, which is slated for September 14. In other words, our launch schedule for new titles in FY2019/3 kicks off in the latter half of 2Q and is therefore weighted more to 2H. We likewise do not look for new smart device titles to start contributing to earnings until July. Moreover, because we will first be investing advertising spending on large-scale marketing campaigns and other efforts associated with the launch of major new titles and smart device games, we look for earnings to struggle in 1Q. Our plan is to make up for this starting in 2Q."

So arguably SE needs steady FF14 sub revenue to compensate their expected losses from console gaming and mobile development. I still don't understand why a company of SE's size is deciding it can be a mobile game player (way too much overhead, too many employees to compete with the nimble barebones traditional mobile devs).

BUT the one answer from SE corporate that can be read that a new MMO could be in the works:

"Q: How does your Digital Entertainment segment guidance split between HD Games, MMO, and Games for Smart Devices/PC Browsers?

A: We do not disclose the exact monetary values, so I’ll describe the trends we expect. We look for sales of HD Games to rise given our plans to launch multiple major new titles. It’s likely to be an average year for MMO since we have no expansion pack releases planned. We meanwhile target ¥100 billion in sales of Games for Smart Devices/PC Browsers."

So is that dev money being pocketed or is SE slowing down with FF14 development and may be shifting that money to developing a new MMO? I still think they are hellbent on breaking into mobile, possibly to the detriment of both their big box console and MMO business. We'll see....
    (0)
    Last edited by Auteur; 07-14-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Player
    Character
    Kisa Kisa
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 84
    Quote Originally Posted by Auteur View Post

So is that dev money being pocketed or is SE slowing down with FF14 development and may be shifting that money to developing a new MMO? I still think they are hellbent on breaking into mobile, possibly to the detriment of both their big box console and MMO business. We'll see....
    The problem is that Mobile has a very fast development cycle in Japan. I asked someone who lives there and plays a lot of the social media games, and apparently there are hundreds of them that come out every year, and displace previous games in the series. They're literately designed to milk whales for all they got.

http://reboundmobile.com/more-than-1...onths-of-2017/
    Samurai Rising will be one of these games terminating its services. The RPG action game by Square Enix features many elements that Final Fantasy players are familiar with, including the tasks and the action style. As the company is facing difficulties in maintaining a satisfactory service, the game will terminate its service on 14th of July 2017, GamerBraves reports.
    https://mmos.com/news/japanese-playe...ame-no-regrets
    Japanese twitter user * has reportedly spent 15 million Yen (~$131,940) just in the month of July 2017 on the mobile title The Idolm@ster: Million Live! by Bandai Namco. Since then, Bandai Namco has announced that the game would be shut down, with features being disabled starting in December. Surprisingly, power user gun_bus has stated that they "don't particularly have regrets" and that they had already started playing the sequel titled Idol Master Million Live! Theater Days. The game features back offices like theater offices, waiting rooms, and greenrooms where players can 'touch' their favorite idols and play rhythm mini games.

The cynic in me suspects Bandai Namco's decision to shutter the nearly identically named original was primarily done to forcefully migrate whales. Whatever the reason, its clear Theater Days is already a hit. During its per-registration period it surpassed 1 million users and went live on June 29, 2017. To get a sense of what the game is all about, check out the embedded trailer below.
    My personal opinion is that the mobile market has a lifecycle that goes with the device replacement schedule. You get 2 years out of the hardware, and 2 years out of the software. This is largely because the developer has to keep supporting old devices, and Android devices are super-expensive to keep supporting as there's many rubbish ones. All the money to be made in mobile is on the iOS platform. Korea gets more life out of their mobile devices largely because Samsung and LG are their native manufacturers, so it would be a bit off-putting if they don't support their home market developers. Apple is entirely "do it our way, or you're dropped from the store", with developers deciding to drop microtransaction games from the store early that aren't profitable enough.

I really hate how microtransactions have utterly ruined games for that platform and have creeped into desktop/console games. Sure a developer is free to do whatever they want to make it worth developing the game in the first place, but some developers seem intent on a repeat of the games crash of 1983 by pushing out as much crappy, time-wasting-if-you-don't-pay-through-the-nose, games as possible.
    (5)

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast