Player
    Character
    Crushing Fatigue
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by KisaiTenshi View Post
    The way some of the questions are leaded however, suggests they want to make a Final Fantasy themed Battle Royale game like Fortnite. Complete with all the wallet-draining microtransactions.
    And the sad thing is I wouldn't put it past the suits in charge to try. They've already embraced the very worst of what the mobile market has to offer after seeing the profit that could be made from microtransactions from their loyal fanbase. A game like Fortnite which practically prints money would be too good for the cynical, pencil pushers at the top to pass by. About the only good thing that I could see coming from it would be that FF14 would no longer have most of it's revenue taken and put into other projects if a new gravy train pulled in the station, but they'd also be the type of company to pull developers from this game to work on the new one...
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Remedi Maxwell
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    Oh ye they will do that, everyone is doing a Battle royale, thinking that SE won't follow is foolish
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rabbit Ackerman
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Blue Mage Lv 80
    They're simply gauging interest. If people want it they'll make it, but they don't want to do so until they're confident people will be satisfied in moving on.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Aylis Tessier
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    I took the survey, as a few others said I'm in the same boat of being hesitant and reluctant to try another SE made MMO. If they do make another though I'd be willing to at least give it a chance in watching a few streams or let's plays of it and stay very far away from any hype that may surround it. I'm willing to at least give it that chance because FFXIV is a Frankenstein MMO. A new game that was basically built over the different foundation of an already existing game. Like building a house over a foundation that was either to big or too small for the house in general. I'll remember that and give them the benefit of the doubt and see what they can do when starting from scratch and the house and foundation match each other.
    (0)

Character
    Shria Qestir
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Elamys View Post
    People have been saying MMOs are a dying genre for years but somehow they haven't died yet and continue to be successful.

I do think we'll see a shift in how MMOs are played, though. Subscriptions for MMOs are very nearly dead and I'm expecting we'll see more in the way of cash shop purchases as well as game design that works with shorter, less dedicated play periods. Online gaming and RPGs are still both very attractive but the whole design of an MMO being a "job" is on its way out.

Ultimately the big problem with current MMOs is that there's a LOT of them and it's very, very difficult to actively play more than one MMO because as they are currently they are a huge time investment.
    Not dying, but stagnating.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Xetsu Mitsuhara
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 70
    Good.
    Need to move on from this game.
    The treadmil's the same ol...
    I really hope for something different tbh. :/
    (10)

Player
    Character
    Kisa Kisa
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 84
    Quote Originally Posted by Aylis View Post
    I took the survey, as a few others said I'm in the same boat of being hesitant and reluctant to try another SE made MMO.
    Those of us who were there at FFXIV v1.0 Beta will remember how no feedback was taken before released it. At least no feedback from NA. Trying to file a simple bug report was rebuffed with "we aren't accepting anything right now". I saved this screenshot somewhere.

I'd like to think SE management has moved past the mistakes that basically cost the game 3 years of it's potential life. But then I look at EA and Nexon and notice that other games SE has worked on that were not FFXIV have being trying pretty damn hard to get blood out of a stone by pre-order bonus and DLC packages that are worthless.

It's not that I think SE would produce a bad game, it's that strongly believe Square-Enix would repeat EA's mistake with Battlefront 2, by seeing the goldmine that Fortnite currently is, not realize that they'd have to have built this game 5 years ago to be printing that much money. SE is not in the lead in the MMO market. Fortnite only succeeds because they converted a game that they were working on into a "knock off" of a game that was already built with their engine. Which isn't to say I think Fortnite copied PUBG, because the concept goes back to at least the 50's in some form. It's only popularized recently due to post-coldwar things like Hunger Games and Maze Runner. Overwatch likewise only succeeds in the same market that Team Fortress 2 occupies because they converted the game they were working on into it. Team Fortress 2 doesn't even have a real story to it. Overwatch does. Of some sort.

*disclaimer, I've never actually played TF2, Overwatch, PubG or Fortnite, and base these opinions on videos/reviews made by people who have, interviews with the developers and trailers.

I find shooty-type games to not be particularly fun, and part of that is how the FPS game has never really changed from 1993. The basis of a deathmatch are still the same, the arena's have gotten bigger, the amount of cheating has gotten substantially worse, griefing became a thing, and ultimately people who lose in these games stay mad. By increasing the size of the Arena and amount of players, it makes it less personal, but people don't like to lose.

Anyhow, A Final Fantasy themed Battle Royale type of game is probably something that would be worth trying, but I don't think that's what people want. I feel the current popularity of eSports will always be a short-lived thing (really, name any eSport celebrities.) As new games will always come out and supplant the previous ones.

The only real direction is for a game developer to have a persistent renderfarm that outputs video streams for players to connect to and are handed off between so that it's completely cheat proof. It will never work outside of Japan, but that's pretty much the only way to create a legitimate eSport.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Donna Shanao
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 70
    I doubt it, I mean look at how long ff xv to be release plus ff 7 still under development,
    Next mmo will probably be release 2027 lol.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Cylla Lightfall
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Skivvy View Post
    The idea intrigues me, but honestly I think at this point I'm a bit hesitant to try another MMO by SE.
    This also. I've lost much faith in SE when it comes to MMO's. XI wasn't perfect by all means but imo XI still gave a lot more. People will argue this and to each their own opinion. I've found that most who have the opinion that XIV is better are the one's who never played XI or only played it for a short time/after it prime years.

With that said, maybe SE knows that XIV isn't going to last that long. With the fact that XIV no where near what most MMO's are these days, it may be best for them to cut their ties soon. The lack of resource going into this game is disheartening enough. Things like housing and glamour system aren't up to speed and we have this half-*** broken, limited system. Spaghetti coding as we all like to call it. Sometimes I wonder if they took the servers from XI that got turned off and used them. Sometimes it feels like we're playing a game that running on a server that about 15 years old, only even XI has more storage resources then XIV has. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With that knowledge, maybe they'll give us a better MMO or maybe they'll do another crap job and that will be the end of SE when it comes to MMO's.

I'd give it a chance but if it ended up much like this, I'd be done with SE and their MMO's. 14 years of XI says how much I enjoyed it and how it was made. I've tried very hard to love XIV and I can't with all it little problems, same path of content, and replay value of content is slim to 0 (Diadem anyone?)
    (10)
    Last edited by Cylla; 06-30-2018 at 02:40 AM.

Player
    Character
    Mica Zerrshia
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by DDkiki View Post
    Not dying, but stagnating.
    It's because everyone wants to make a WoW clone, are going for cash grabs or give players too much freedom and lack of direction. ESO I know is a whole lot busier than XIV, so its maybe its also where you look.

There are a few games coming out soon that want to rewrite the ways mmo are done. Hopefully they will do it right. I know I already slapped down $300 for Ashes of Creation.... Its one of the few times I decided to take a chance on a game. Hopefully I'm not burned.
    (0)

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast