Player
    Character
    Alzelia Shey
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 50

Level 50 Miner Gear

I'm starting to get back into FFXIV... My Miner is currently halfway past level 47 and soon I need to start getting some end game gear. My only other R50 is ARC. I joined Gridania's company. I'm not sure anymore what stats I should look for. I'm working on getting the luminary pick, but that is gonna take a while.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    You'll want to get a Cobalt Dolabra and Mythril Sledgehammer for starters. As for gear, you have a few options.

The Raptorskin Jerkin/Culottes/Work boots/Survival Belt combination is certainly common. As variations you can go with a woolen doublet for added perception or a Gridanian doublet for extra output. On the head, it's generally either the Cobalt Mesail (Gathering) or an Angler's Hat (Perception).

Spend some company seals on the Serpentcarrier's Ring for +5 Gathering and Perception as well.
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Nyris Reach
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Catapult View Post
    Spend some company seals on the Serpentcarrier's Ring for +5 Gathering and Perception as well.
    Serpent.... grid... hahaha

BTW.... Grids ring is output and perception
    Ul'dah is Gathering and perception
    Limsa is gathering and output

Honestly though... You're absolutely right about the gear to use....
    Though I would like to add... if this is JUST for Miner, you may want to invest 3 raptor leather and 1 felt to make:
    Jerkin of Vitality
    Work Gloves of Vitality
    Culottes of the Mind
    Work Boots of the mind

Also VIT materia can go on Body and MND materia can go on head

You can put either MND or VIT on pants (But sadly not both....)
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydin View Post
    BTW.... Grids ring is output and perception
    Ul'dah is Gathering and perception
    Limsa is gathering and output
    Oops, I mis-typed... DERP!

(thanks for pointing it out)
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Jashmund Grandfury
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    Depending on prices and how often you can get access to a crafter's time you might also think about skipping the upgraded stats on the gathering gear, using the generics, and just blowing them up for materia as you go.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Alzelia Shey
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 50
    Okay, I kinda followed your advice, I was able to get my output to 122 for 8 attempts on a grade 5 node and my perception to 126. Im really liking perception over gathering, what do you guys think?

Edit: A List of my gear:
    Cobalt Dolabra
    Mythril Sledgehammer
    Woolen Doublet
    Felt Work gloves of Vitality
    Then Raptor Belt, Shoes, and Culottes
    (0)
    Last edited by Alzelia; 02-09-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Player
    Character
    Laela Prismriver
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 51
    Welcome back to FFXIV.

Regarding Miner gear, there really isn't too much regarding gear from what you can already achieve just by wearing the most up-to-date Pickaxe/Sledgehammer. If you want a more comprehensive discussion regarding Miner, I'll point you to this BlueGartr discussion:

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/991...mp-Help-Thread

If you want some sort of guide as to what to wear, however, these are the stats I emphasize:

Output: I believe with base output from your tool at 47, you'll get 6-7 hits at Grade 5 nodes. Putting enough output gear will net you 8 hits, which is the max both for mainhand and offhand gathering. Other than that, if you're already hitting 8 hits off a node, you don't need more output.

Gathering: This is the second stat I'll put in if I'm not at 50. Gathering increases your success rate for gathering on offhand, as well as decreases the amount of hits necessary to get certain items (i.e. at lower levels, it takes 2 hits to mine Cobalt Ore; as you get higher or get enough gathering/VIT, you'll be able to get them in 1 hit. This is the same with farming matter). If you don't have any problems with quarrying or are getting matter/high-level ore with 1 hit, no need to put more in this stat.

Perception: I wouldn't recommend stacking this. According to the BG post I put up, the benefits of stacking Perception from gear are so incredibly minuscule that you will hardly see the difference.

I actually spend a lot of time putting together very cheap 40+ gear on my DoL so I can spiritbind while I farm. This way you can get some money off your gear and at the same farm materials for yourself or for selling in the wards.

Anyway, that's my opinion. Good luck on mining and with the axe, it's a lot of work! :O
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Madruk Darkrune
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 50
    ^^

What she said. Don't bother with specific mining gear. Put on whatever you can spiritbond. Pretty much all three stats are useless except output to some degree. With linen smocks and a +1 pick with output melded you can pretty much get 7-8 strikes on any grade node anyway.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ver Her
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 80
    @ 50 Miner I get all 8 hits with Cobalt Mesail, Raptorskin Jerkin, Felt Work Gloves, Raptorskin Survival Belt, Raptorskin Culottes, and Raptorskin Workboots. After reading Laela's post I switched out from my perception stuff and didn't see much of a difference in gathering rare ore, +gathering is the way to go! I never have to hit a point twice, I get everything on the first try.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Quesse Mithril
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhol View Post
    @ 50 Miner I get all 8 hits with Cobalt Mesail, Raptorskin Jerkin, Felt Work Gloves, Raptorskin Survival Belt, Raptorskin Culottes, and Raptorskin Workboots. After reading Laela's post I switched out from my perception stuff and didn't see much of a difference in gathering rare ore, +gathering is the way to go! I never have to hit a point twice, I get everything on the first try.
    Same.

Pretty much the gear you have and 8 attempts plus only 1 hit on any item. Can't get much better than that, perception is nothing.

Sad how shallow it is.
    (1)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast