Character
    Vynce Walker
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Quesse View Post
    Same.

Pretty much the gear you have and 8 attempts plus only 1 hit on any item. Can't get much better than that, perception is nothing.

Sad how shallow it is.
    Perception obviously makes a difference, its just a matter of figuring out when it stops being beneficial. At 139 perception I get more HQ's than I got at 100 perception, or even 118-124 perception. Perception is probably one of those things you need to add in +20-+30 chunks to really notice any difference at all. Saying it doesn't work I think is pretty incorrect though. Course when I triple meld a pickaxe ill get back to you to see if there's a difference between 150 perception and 130's
    (0)

Player

@161 perception and cant tell if it makes a difference or not yet, but at r50 imo there is NO point in gathering and output in gear. output+ food guarantees 8 hits at a node, gathering doesnt do anything and we all want HQ mats!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    State Alchemist
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 55
    I have 166 Perception with food and I am still missing +Perception pieces. Now! One thing to consider... when seeing if +Perception gives you more HQ you can;t just look at what your aiming at. You have to look at "Out of X number of successful gathering attempts, Y number of times I got HQ items." A lot of people look at it as "Out of X number of times mining Electrum Ore, Y number of times it was HQ." That is where a lot of people get the sense of +Perception is useless. As far as HQ goes, I get a lot more HQ successful gathers then I did before. My goal is to hit about 175 Perception. Now one important thing to remember is to boost your DoL's STAT. For miner it is VIT/MND. VIT affects your success rate(And remainder usage**untested**) and the activation of the following abilities: Earthen Favor, Nald'thal's Ward, Deep Vigor, Stone Resolve, Truth of Mountains, and Fingerprint of the Gods. MND affects your Rare Item/HQ Rate and the activation of the following abilities: Sharp Vision, Menphina's Ward, Solid Reason, King's Yield, and Master of Rock.

So in other words. To completely maximize your chance for HQ items you want to stack as much MND and Perception as possible (for Miner). The only ability you will want set when going for HQ items, by the way, is Master of Rock.

Hope this helps.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Vynce Walker
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 50
    Holy hell is that true?? Cuz when I increased my VIT to about 292 I swear Master of Rock was working more. I'm gonna meld some mnd and get back to you. Luckily I have a lot of MND materia...

Or wait..does VIT affect the actual success rate of abilities? Like for example, does VIT increase the chances Master of Rock willl get you hq, or that such and such ability will give you the right crystal? Random Q.

I have to say with 141 perception with food I like my HQ rate. Ima try and double meld some mnd tho lol. I could go for more perception but I'm having no luck with perception materia atm.

EDIT: Just to confirm MND does increase hq rate, but there seems to be a threshold in my experience. At 252 MND it wasn't doing anything for me...well not much. At 269 MND the difference is very noticeable; it is not uncommon for me to get 3-4 hqs in a single node without master of rock at all. I'm in the process of trying to get over the 280 mark to see if that makes a difference as well.

Random theory: I have a suspicion that MND/VIT become more important than Gathering/Output/Perception after a certain point. The design seems similar to how you need to combine STR/Attack, INT/Mag Potency on dow/dom classes. I'll suggest some numbers based on my experience so far.

Output: At 125 Output I get 8 attempts. I'm pretty sure this is right around the threshold. So at a minimum try to get 125 Output; course you can try a point or two lower to see if you still get 8 attempts.

Gathering: Imo its not even worth stacking this stat at all. I have Gathering in the 80s and 1 hit just about everything, with rare cases where I don't. I think Vitality helps you get one-hits as well though, so I wouldn't go out of your way to pump gathering into triple digits.

Perception: Past a certain point MND affects your hq rate far more than an increase in perception will. I wont go as far as to say Perception has a soft cap, but I will say that increasing yoru perception beyond a certain point isn't all that beneficial. My suggestion with perception is base 140-150. With food, that will give you a max perception of 154-165. Going much beyond this is not even worth the effort, since you would have to triple or quadruple meld a pick, as well as let your other stats suffer.

MND: As I said I noticed a big difference at 269. I'm assuming a good goal to reach for is around 280-290. 280-290 MND with 154-165 perception (with food) is likely to make anyone an HQ beast. Course this is speaking from my HQ experiences at 269 MND and 146 perception (with food). I'm assuming it can get better lol.

VIT: I dont have any number suggestions for this. I can suggest double melding vit to your body at a bare minimum. Whether you use vit rings or mnd rings is entirely up to you, and largely depends on what gear you wear and how high you want your stats to be.

What about the pickaxe?

Depends. Personally i wouldnt bother melding gathering/output on a pickaxe, as the threshold numbers are easy to hit with gear. The question really boils down to perception vs main stats. Idk yet, as im in the process of testing how high mnd can go before it ceases to produce noticeable differences. Just know at most you are looking at a +20 increase in your perception stat if you manage to get lucky and quad meld. In the more likely event of a double meld, you are looking at a measly +10 to your perception. Now you substitute that with main stats, you are looking at +36 to either stat, or +18 or so for both of them. This is just a guess, an educated guess, but the increases to a main stat will easily overshadow a measly +10 in your perception. I"d take 36 MND over +10 perception any day!
    (2)
    Last edited by Lux_Rayna; 04-06-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Player

115 output if the magic number for 8 hits. (Assuming level 50)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Syntax Lies
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Leatherworker Lv 50
    you don't need good gear at lvl 50, at around lvl 40-45 you should be getting 8 hits on grade 5 and theres not much else to it. If you want good gear wait til grade 6 comes, there will prob be newer gear out then anyway.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sephrick Markarius
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Just to clear up some personal confusion: I thought Vit only governed "strike consistency" and Mnd only "Yield"?

There are further functions for these stats such as mind helping HQ rate?
    (0)

Player

Yep 115 is the minimum number for Output
    (0)

Player

Quote Originally Posted by StateAlchemist View Post
    I have 166 Perception with food and I am still missing +Perception pieces. Now! One thing to consider... when seeing if +Perception gives you more HQ you can;t just look at what your aiming at. You have to look at "Out of X number of successful gathering attempts, Y number of times I got HQ items." A lot of people look at it as "Out of X number of times mining Electrum Ore, Y number of times it was HQ." That is where a lot of people get the sense of +Perception is useless. As far as HQ goes, I get a lot more HQ successful gathers then I did before. My goal is to hit about 175 Perception. Now one important thing to remember is to boost your DoL's STAT. For miner it is VIT/MND. VIT affects your success rate(And remainder usage**untested**) and the activation of the following abilities: Earthen Favor, Nald'thal's Ward, Deep Vigor, Stone Resolve, Truth of Mountains, and Fingerprint of the Gods. MND affects your Rare Item/HQ Rate and the activation of the following abilities: Sharp Vision, Menphina's Ward, Solid Reason, King's Yield, and Master of Rock.

So in other words. To completely maximize your chance for HQ items you want to stack as much MND and Perception as possible (for Miner). The only ability you will want set when going for HQ items, by the way, is Master of Rock.

Hope this helps.
    Is there any testing or proof of VIT and MND effecting proc rate. i have a miners website and would like to add this info to it
    (0)

Player

For those of you willing to contribute information to help the website.. here is a sneek-peek of the website. Still work-in-progress
    http://www.wix.com/grudge11/miners-guide
    (1)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast