Player
    Character
    Usul Omnis
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70

EXTREME lag

I have exhausted all possible solutions from the ticket I opened regarding this issue and was told to post here instead.

I have extreme lag, with the Received latency fluctuating wildly. In towns it usually stays in the 3-4 digits while as soon as I get into any kind of instance it spikes into the 4-5 digit range without any rhyme or reason.

I have adjusted my DNS as instructed. I am connected directly to the router by a network cable but cannot set up port forwarding because my current ISP does not allow access to the router configuration. This issue has been ongoing for many months, from Portugal to Poland, even after changing between local internet providers and replacing the motherboard (and the network adapter with it) a couple of months ago.

I have removed the configuration files and tried to run the game with the default settings. I have tried to do a full clean reinstall. I have tried pretty much everything I could and after weeks of troubleshooting attempts the support team told me that they had exhausted all avenues of inquiry and that I should post here. I have no idea what may be causing this and it has never happened with any other game.

I thought the fact that I am playing on a US server from the EU side might be the cause, but after logging in on servers from both sides, Balmung and Fairy, the result was exactly the same.

I have tried to run the game with all browser windows closed and after shutting down any applications that might be downloading in the background. I have uploaded a configuration file to the support team and they did not found anything unusual. I even tried a trial of WTFast (which for those who, like me had never heard of it is supposed to be a type of VPN designed to cut lag for online gaming) and it was only enough to shave off about 20% of the latency according to the readouts, which in the high four digit range means nothing at all.

I do regular malware checks, reset my router and connection countless times. Nothing works. The game gets completely unplayable at the worst parts of it since it's impossible to avoid area attacks that bosses love spamming, so anything I do in terms of endgame or group content ends up being a very frustrating experience on most days.

Just as a point of comparison, I get latency in the 500-800 range just standing idle in Idyllshire.
    (0)
    Last edited by Elyseon; 06-22-2018 at 01:46 AM.

Character
    Shinigami Zetta
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    I just recently beginning to encounter this on my server as well. I kind of think it's the ISP throttling bandwidth unless my gaming line has been hacked. I mainly get it in raids more than usual. ( Note this was during light times not heave times ). I requested my line to be cleared so hoping that will be fine now. So far it has not worked -.-; I can't raid do to this and keep getting lag in dungeons now and while crafting only. By the way they will ask you on what device, and info on it.

Windows 10, 64bit, comcast business network,

ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI DVI M.2 Z370 ATX Motherboard with onboard 802.11ac WiFi and USB 3.1 for 8th Generation Intel Core Processors

Intel Core i7-8700K Desktop Processor 6 Cores up to 4.7GHz Turbo Unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W BX80684i78700K

ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB GDDR5 Advanced Edition VR Ready DP HDMI DVI Gaming Graphics Card (ROG-STRIX-GTX1070TI-A8G-GAMING)
    (0)
    Last edited by ManuelBravo; 06-22-2018 at 02:58 AM. Reason: adding specs

Player
    Character
    Usul Omnis
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Well, I don't know if this will help but this is the result of the tracert I ran to Balmung. While I have some knowledge of IT, it doesn't extend far into network aspects. https://imgur.com/pwZS78k The latency values displayed there are nothing compared to the ones I get ingame.
    (0)

Character
    Shinigami Zetta
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    are you using a VPN? or a PGN? that would cause those issues to an extend. Also if sharing the line with multiple users or multiple programs with bandwidth. Back end updates? Just make sure you provide more info they will ask you this when they are trouble shooting.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Usul Omnis
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    No VPN or PGN here. Just a regular ISP connection with the computer physically connected to the router via network cable. I'm the only one using this line too.
    (0)

Character
    Mordavia Planeswalker
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    Steam sale that started today is killing the internets Was lag free for months today it hit like a brick, all nodes seem affected, disconnected from instances bad.
    |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    | WinMTR statistics |
    | Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
    |------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
    | 192.168.0.1 - 0 | 38 | 38 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
    | No response from host - 100 | 7 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
    | ip-104-153-24-249.user.start.ca - 28 | 18 | 13 | 14 | 33 | 209 | 15 |
    | bdr1-toronto1-ae0-3.net.start.ca - 28 | 18 | 13 | 14 | 18 | 36 | 15 |
    | ae1-2407.cr0-tor1.ip4.gtt.net - 19 | 22 | 18 | 13 | 18 | 32 | 15 |
    | et-0-0-67.cr7-chi1.ip4.gtt.net - 19 | 22 | 18 | 26 | 31 | 44 | 28 |
    | as2914.cr7-chi1.ip4.gtt.net - 19 | 22 | 18 | 32 | 38 | 51 | 34 |
    | ae-0.r21.chcgil09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net - 28 | 18 | 13 | 33 | 37 | 49 | 34 |
    | ae-5.r22.snjsca04.us.bb.gin.ntt.net - 43 | 14 | 8 | 77 | 81 | 92 | 78 |
    | ae-19.r01.snjsca04.us.bb.gin.ntt.net - 12 | 26 | 23 | 79 | 83 | 96 | 82 |
    | ae-4.r00.scrmca02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net - 19 | 22 | 18 | 79 | 83 | 96 | 82 |
    |xe-0-1-0-1-1.r00.scrmca02.us.ce.gin.ntt.net - 0 | 38 | 38 | 80 | 83 | 97 | 82 |
    | 204.2.229.234 - 28 | 18 | 13 | 79 | 84 | 96 | 80 |
    | 204.2.229.100 - 43 | 14 | 8 | 80 | 84 | 95 | 81 |
    |________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
    WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Hopefully it will get less congested soon
    (0)
    Last edited by FFgame; 06-22-2018 at 04:14 AM.

7. 06-22-2018 04:24 AM

Player
    Character
    Usul Omnis
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Well, this issue has been going on for over a year, and if moving 3000 kilometers didn't improve the connection, then I don't know what will.
    (0)

Character
    Kerwin Nindon
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 90
    Moderators will blame your ISP even though your tracet clearly shows NTT having this issue.

The mods will give you basic trouble shooting guides. Of course you should follow their instructions to help them out. But ultimately they will move and close this thread.

They are aware of NTT and their poor service effecting their customers. But they take no blame and will take no further actions since their data center is not the issue.

"Deal with it." That's what they are going to tell you.

You can visit my thread and see the similar issues that you have been having Elyseon.
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...ag-disconnects
    (0)
    Last edited by Kerwin; 06-22-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Good afternoon and thank you for posting on the Final Fantasy XIV Technical Support Forums.

I'd like to get a few more details about your issue, Elyseon.

When did this start happening? You mentioned "this issue has been going on for over a year," is it intermittent, or has it consistently been this high for that long?

Have you tried connecting to the EU Data Center? Do you have the same issue trying to connect to that one?

Do you ever get completely disconnected form the game? Or is the latency the only issue?

Please provide:

- Platform (PC, PS4, Mac)
    - Type of connection (wired or wireless)
    - Other programs running while the game is playing (if any)
    - Everything you have tried to resolve the issue

We hope we can be of assistance in helping you enjoy the exciting world of Final Fantasy XIV!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Usul Omnis
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    As I said before, it has been near constant and affecting my connection in both EU and US servers. Latency is the only issue at this time, with the Received latency spiking wildly between 3 and 5 digits. No disconnections, just really annoying and unstable lag.
    I am playing on PC, the connection is by cable and the computer is hooked directly to the router. I pretty much tried to shut down every nonessential program running in the background to see if it would help.
    I already opened a ticket with the game support staff (Ticket 8484236) and was told to post here after exhausting all the troubleshooting instructions provided, with no result. All the steps taken so far should be detailed there.

The long and short of it was, I adjusted the DNS settings, did the whole release-flushdns-renew thing, lowered the graphics settings, adjusted other options as instructed, tried to run the game with the default settings and with a clean reinstall. I am unable to set up port forwarding because my current provider does not allow access to the router configuration.
    (0)
    Last edited by Elyseon; 06-24-2018 at 03:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast