Player
    Character
    Rin Aomine
    World
    Louisoix
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 70

Healer DPS - enjoyable or a chore?

It's generally agreed upon that healers should DPS when they can. In Savage, it's more or less imperative. Paradoxically, the consensus tends to be that the less time a healer spends actually healing, the more skilled they are (with exceptions, of course.)

When I heal, I adhere to this to the best of my ability, but I don't really enjoy it. I find healer DPS boring and unengaging, most of all because it involves spending 90% of the time hitting a single button and it often feels I'm trying to be a subpar DPS than a healer. While I certainly don't agree with not DPSing at all, I can understand to an extent the often parroted defence of "if I wanted to attack, I'd DPS." AST's card mechanic adds another dimension to gameplay that helps it feel less shallow to a degree, but I feel it quite strongly on the other jobs.

My own feelings aside, it brought to mind the question, is healer DPS actually enjoyable in its own right? Is it something healers generally like doing, or feel compelled to? To healers, given the option - would you keep it as is, prefer more of a focus on actual healing, or more expansive DPS options? Is the current method a fair way to judge healer skill?

(This is not a "should healers DPS" thread, but a given that they can and do.)
    (10)

Player
    Character
    Hestzhyen Voer
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 70
    I do it because it's better than standing around waiting for HP bars to drop or overhealing.

I like maximizing my efficiency but DPS as healer is not interesting on it's own, no. It's just part of being efficient with GCD usage. If they did a ground-up redesign of the game and made healers have to heal I would not complain much. (The inherent fun of how healing and damage mitigation works in XIV is a whole different can of worms; that would have to be addressed too.)
    (9)

Player
    Character
    Duvaineth Hithaeron
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 70
    agree with OP.

for me, healer DPS in this game isn't as enjoyable.
    I mean, I've played healers in other MMOs where heals can be offensive skills (i.e. casting heal on an undead; switching modes that transform your heals to damage + buff) that allow the healer to actually have a rotation that includes both healing and DPS spells. or sometimes just pure buff, like if you stop casting anything, the incoming damage will definitely hurt the party, so constant "buffing" is needed. I find some of those classes more engaging, that's also why for years I've always played support classes.

I guess in a way that's the uniqueness of healer jobs in FFXIV? personally keeps me on my toes, because unless you're playing with a static, there's really no 'rotation'; the challenge is about how you deal with PUGs--your situational awareness and your quick response. that goes without saying that I've had my share of screw-ups, but I do wish healer DPS has more...flavor to it.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Moro Murasaki
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 70
    I don't think dpsing as a healer in a vacuum (like on a training dummy) is fun or engaging, no.

I do think dpsing as a healer during actual fights can be fun and engaging though, but only if you treat it like you're consistantly trying to improve. How much lower can you let a tank drop in a dungeon? Will you have time for one more cast before Benediction? It's about getting the most out of your effort and seeing the results.

I was helping a friend level BRD last night, we were spamming Doma Castle and I was on WHM. Other dps and tank were pugs each time. I never let anyone die and according to my friend consistantly maintained second in DPS during boss fights with a few drops to third when I had to heal more while being top dps on the big trash pulls. No one likes repeated dungeon spam but I got to see the results in noticeably faster clears thanks to my dps and that made me just want to try harder so we could get him to 69 faster.

I think enjoying healer dps is about being able to look at that big picture, understanding the impact you can have by contributing in that way and preferably seeing the numerical proof that you're doing an appreciable amount of damage that your group would be missing otherwise. At that point it isn't about the fact that you're just rolling your dots and pushing one or two buttons, you're fighting yourself and your group to waste the least number of casts on healing that you can. It's no different than avoiding tank stance or your threat combo when you're tanking - you do what you have to to properly perform your primary role so you can see how much dps you can squeeze out with the time you have left.

As an aside while I am very confident in my ability to really push the most possible dps that I can in really casual content like dungeons and normal raids I struggle with it in Savage a ton. This was the first Savage tier I really tried to get my feet wet in and I have been a hot mess on WHM. I've had a really patient AST who will only gently tell me to screw off when I heal over her Earthly Star but I am definitely not contributing what I would like to be as a healer in Savage and I think that is something that makes healer dps (or any dps) engaging as well - seeking and finding improvmemt where you can.

I hope the healing and damage model of this game remains the same as we move forward. I find it to be really enjoyable in any level of content.
    (13)

moromurasaki#5719

White Mage|Red Mage|Warrior

Feel free to add me on discord! :3

Player
    Character
    Jace Ossura
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 70
    Ain't got enough buttons to push without them.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Mumuki Muki
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 60
    Yeah... I have to say that I don't enjoy healer dps either. To me it's only marginally better than doing nothing at all and only by virtue of understanding that it's more efficient to spend that dead time contributing damage. Ironically, the better I get at "healing" any piece of content in this game, the less I want to. Dungeons are the pinnacle of dps boredom, and I've actually literally fallen asleep when healing them a few times now. Savage has enough damage that I can tolerate the breaks in damage there ( at least for my current level of skill and teamwork), but it's really the only place I can stand to play healer because of this design.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Ea Sin
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 70
    So little heal is usually required that I actually find it fun trying to heal as little as possible with my co healers. DPS is just filler (though it's marginally better on sch)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Maeka Blazewing
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    When the tank is actually taking a good bit of damage? No, I don't really find trying to DPS particularly fun, I don't like being reckless. Letting tanks drop down to 10-20% just to squeeze out DPS? Heck no. I'm not reckless and I don't like throwing caution to the randomness of lag.

But when the dungeon is easy and the tank is barely taking damage, then what else am I going to do? Stand there with my fingers up my butt doing nothing?

Now, I will admit that sometimes I wish that "Healer DPS" wasn't Aero3, Holy Holy Holy Holy Holy Lucid Holy Holy Holy or Aero, Stone Stone Stone Stone Stone Stone Stone because dang that gets old fast. Especially if you're questing. Nothing is more boring than solo questing as a WHM. Aero Stone Stone Stone Stone /yawn
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Sharl Llyntine
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 70
    I enjoy it, I can't imagine not DPSing as a healer really. It's not even something I need to try and do anymore, it's just muscle memory at this point. If I'm not doing anything else, why not?

That being said, I do find the healer rotation rather boring. Put up your dots and spam a single spell...I know SE doesn't want us to worry about DPS much as healers, but is it really necessary to make it as boring as possible?
    Games like Tera gives healers really fun combos to do, this game could at least give us some type of rotation.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Makani Risvertasashi
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Chore. I do it reflexively, without so much as a thought. But it's not exactly what I play healer for. And healer DPS potential is pretty terribly low for single target anyways.

Maybe someday SE will make stuff decently damaging.
    (6)
    Guide to filtering out lootmaster parties:

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast