Player
    Character
    Syrus Hyena
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90

PS4 controller on PC latency spikes Help

I've been using a PS4 controller on PC ever since the start of 2.0, and recently my controller gets these latency spikes. When they occur, my inputs either do not go through, or my inputs get stuck (character/camera keeps moving)

I have no idea as to what the cause of these spikes may be. I picked up a brand new controller today. This occurs whether or not I am using DS4 (I've used my controller w/o DS4 and works just fine) but DS4 has narrowed down that the latency spikes hit over 10ms (no clue)

Any ideas?
    (0)

Hello Syrus_Draco Thank you for posting on the Final Fantasy XIV Technical Support Forums

Can you elaborate on the kind of issue you are having?

Please provide:

- Platform (PC, PS4, Mac)
    - the nature of the latency
    - Type of connection (wired or wireless)
    - Other programs running while the game is playing (if any)
    - Everything you have tried to resolve the issue

Hope to be of assistance
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Syrus Hyena
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Platform: PC w/ a PS4 controller (blue tooth wireless)
    I usually have Discord, Firefox, Telegram, and sometimes DS4

I've tried having only 14 and Discord open (minimal programs)
    Reset the game, reset my computer, reset controller connection
    Attach the controller to the recharge temporarily (even though the battery is fine)

The controller latency with my dualshock 4 causes zero input (No attacks or movement go through even though the game is running), or my inputs to be stuck (i.e. my character keeps moving forward even though I have changed the direction) These latency spikes make my game inconsistent. They spike up here and there.
    (0)

Thank you for the update Syrus_Draco.

It sounds like it's not latency so much as you lose control of the game momentarily, does that sound correct? Have you had this problem with any other controllers (if you have any to test), or with the mouse and keyboard? You mentioned you purchased a new PS4 controller, is this only happening with the new controller, or do you experience this while using the old one?

First, let's try closing all other programs so only Final Fantasy XIV is running. Then try a clean boot. Simply open the task manager and select the 'Start up' Tab. Disable everything here and restart the PC.

We hope we can be of assistance in helping you enjoy the exciting world of Final Fantasy XIV!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Syrus Hyena
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    I should clarify, that it's some sort of latency with the controller, at least that is what DS4 tells me. But yeah for a second or a few, I lose control of my character and my controller is not responsive, as if the inputs are stuck or not responding. The game runs fine and as expected, but the loss of control hits me here and againa.

In the past I thought it was my controller showing it's age, so I bought a new controller. Now I am experiencing this with a brand new controller. Mouse/Keyboard is fine with being responsive (not a keyboard player)

So I did a clean reset like you suggested. I started a Byakko EX farm group, and during the fight I got two spikes of controller loss.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Henry Jekyll
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 80
    Assuming you're using Windows, go to Device Manager. Under Software devices, right click and disable the "Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator". Hopefully that works for you as it has for others. Not sure why GMs don't keep track of solutions to these and recommend the same.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Syrus Hyena
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Assuming you're using Windows, go to Device Manager. Under Software devices, right click and disable the "Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator". Hopefully that works for you as it has for others. Not sure why GMs don't keep track of solutions to these and recommend the same.
    Unfortunately this did not work. I still experienced controller loss/lag.

Also to the GMs, when I was having controller lag during a god kefka run, I did experience that my wireless keyboard was also lagging. Both controller and keyboard have their own separate dongles. The keyboard lag is something new, as I've had both types of keyboard and controller since the start of ARR
    (0)

Thank you for the update Syrus_Draco.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "it's some sort of latency with the controller, at least that is what DS4 tells me," what kind of program are you using?

Both your controller and keyboard are connected wirelessly, correct? Are they connected via the same bluetooth device, or do you connect them using another method?

We hope we can be of assistance in helping you enjoy the exciting world of Final Fantasy XIV!
    (0)