Player
    Character
    Ziero Rehw-bidit
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyNeko View Post
    Also Raw Intuition/Bulwark > Dark Mind for fluff.
    Tell me again how that's working out for you in o5s and o6s. Also, you don't use DM for fluff. TBN zeros out autos, and can be used frequently on demand.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Wedge Ironworks
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 87
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierro View Post
    Tell me again how that's working out for you in o5s and o6s. Also, you don't use DM for fluff. TBN zeros out autos, and can be used frequently on demand.
    I still do not know why most players do not understand this. Use tbn for fluff, and use darkmind/shadow wall for tank busters. Unless the boss is full magical, then yea add dark mind in for fluff with tbn. A 16k shield for fluff every 15 - 25 secs is pretty solid mitigation if you ask me. Just try your best to make sure you time it right and make it pop, so you can get as many blood spillers as possible.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Lythia Norvaine
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    If TBN was actually dps neutral, then you could certainly throw it out on random autos. It's not.

The dps value of TBN is variable. In some cases the blood gain is greater than the MP cost, as tends to be the case during raid burst windows. On average, though, it works out to be a minor dps loss.

This shouldn't discourage you from using it when you need to mitigate a cleave or tankbuster. But it's a bit of a waste to use it frivolously. If you're unsure of this, look up DRKs who are trying to optimise for speedruns. You'll find a much lower rate of TBN usage in general (on the order of 1-2 times per fight). I'm not saying that you should necessarily emulate this, but it's worth noting.

I think that TBN's design tries to be clever with its resource juggling, but falls a little short because the rest of DRK's kit doesn't really take full advantage of blood - MP conversions. If it's supposed to be a focal mechanic, they should've gone the route of turning DRK into a full Zarya tank. Throw out shields, hit harder, throw out more shields.

From the way people talk about IB, you'd think that nobody ever uses it. If so, they should consider just replacing IB with FC in Defiance during the next job action crunch.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Wedge Ironworks
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 87
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyth View Post
    If TBN was actually dps neutral, then you could certainly throw it out on random autos. It's not.

The dps value of TBN is variable. In some cases the blood gain is greater than the MP cost, as tends to be the case during raid burst windows. On average, though, it works out to be a minor dps loss.

This shouldn't discourage you from using it when you need to mitigate a cleave or tankbuster. But it's a bit of a waste to use it frivolously. If you're unsure of this, look up DRKs who are trying to optimise for speedruns. You'll find a much lower rate of TBN usage in general (on the order of 1-2 times per fight). I'm not saying that you should necessarily emulate this, but it's worth noting.
    Square should just make bloodspillers from TBN popping a obvious dps gain. From 400 to 500 potency would be nice.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Minati Illu
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubytoe View Post
    Square should just make bloodspillers from TBN popping a obvious dps gain. From 400 to 500 potency would be nice.
    The problem is, if TBN use is a flat DPS gain, then TBN becomes a DPS ability and you stop using it when it matters, but as much as possible.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Hildegarde Rosea
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Ah, TBN...so incredibly controversial. I feel like most of the problems Dark Knight is facing currently can be directly or indirectly traced back to it. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised then, that those most satisfied with Dark Knight currently are the biggest fans of this skill. I am not, however. It's a very cool concept that I like, but the implementation is maddeningly frustrating at worst, and feeling like it's missing something at best. I still feel Reprisal was a better fit for Dark Knight's skillset and wish they would have expanded on that instead of replace it entirely.

I personally feel with less spammy and dumbed down Dark Arts, TBN being reworked into something a bit less frustrating, and a little bit more damage overall, I'd be satisfied with Dark Knight for the rest of the expansion.

Of course, some kind of Souleater function out of Grit, Blood Price/Weapon being unlocked, Syphon Strike's silly dark arts effect being removed and shuffled into more Dark Passenger usage, some kind of knockback prevention or increased range for Plunge, Living Dead being less obtuse, all these would be kind of wishlist stuff but give me the aforementioned 3 things and I'd be alright with whatever place Dark Knight falls in the tank balance shenanigans until 5.0.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Shiro Terkhev
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyth View Post

I think that TBN's design tries to be clever with its resource juggling, but falls a little short because the rest of DRK's kit doesn't really take full advantage of blood - MP conversions. If it's supposed to be a focal mechanic, they should've gone the route of turning DRK into a full Zarya tank. Throw out shields, hit harder, throw out more shields.
    It's not that bad. Looking at top 5 DRKs on godka, 3 of those used TBN ~1 time per minute, one didn't use it at all (?) and one used it nearly 2 times per minute. We are talking about the very top here. You probably could use it on cooldown (when it breaks ofc) and still get into 95+

Personally I don't like blood mechanic at all. I'd prefer them to just build on mana bar instead of adding totally separate resource. Feels clunky and forced.
    (2)
    Last edited by Terkhev; 06-20-2018 at 04:52 PM.
    With great deeps comes great enmity.

Player
    Character
    Wedge Ironworks
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 87
    Quote Originally Posted by Megguido View Post
    The problem is, if TBN use is a flat DPS gain, then TBN becomes a DPS ability and you stop using it when it matters, but as much as possible.
    but that'd be up to the player's choice. Just like how black mage has to decide to move out an aoe and loose dps, or eat it "possibly die" and keep casting.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Jace Ossura
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubytoe View Post
    but that'd be up to the player's choice. Just like how black mage has to decide to move out an aoe and loose dps, or eat it "possibly die" and keep casting.
    You don't eat anything without the expressed permission and frustration of the healer.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Gulvioir Muruc
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Megguido View Post
    I disagree, even with a change to 500 potency TBN returns would still be lower than sheltron returns on procing shield swipe at a 100 potency increase. People weren't standing in avoidable aoes for 150 potency, they aren't standing in avoidable damage for 100 potency, I doubt they would stand in avoidable damage for even less reward.

More parallels to sheltron, as long as you have enough guage to hit Sheltron when you need it you’ll be fine. If we switch one Dark Arts cast to one TBN it will hardly effect much except making us slightly more tanky.
    (4)
    Last edited by Chrono_Rising; 06-21-2018 at 02:49 AM.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast