Character
    Elrica Lavandula
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90

Linking HUD layout to gear set

Hello!

It would be really nice if you could link your HUD layout to a gear set, like it is possible with glamour plates now.

I know that you can use macros like "/hudlayout 1" combined with "/gearset change 1" and so on to change your HUD layout together with your gearset. Currently I have to use macros for every class because I use two different HUD layouts for battle and crafting/gathering classes. Many people even use one HUD layout for DPS classes, another one for healers and yet another one for tanks.

Because of the macros, I need almost two full cross hotbars to change classes. People playing with keyboard and mouse would have to make at least 2 hotbars as well and click on the classes to change to them together with the HUD layout. Or you would have to change manually every time by making a keybind for it or placing separate HUD layout change macros on your hotbar.

We could free up so much hotbar space if the HUD layout could be linked to our gear sets. Please consider implementing such a feature. ^^

Thank you
    (5)

Player
    Character
    N'yuuki Nekohmi
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    This deserves a HUGE thread necro because I went looking for this EXACT feature when re-doing my HUD the other day. I would LOVE the ability create a HUD for each class ideally, since we have all those different shaped gauge bars and 1 layout or shared layouts don't always cut it/look good when rolling in those bars.

While we're at it, I'd LOVE the ability to change how many slots a bar displays, we currently always have 12 open regardless of horizontal or vertical and the only way to "hide" them is to "hide" the unused slots. That's all fun and games until your bar overlap and you try to move abilities around. Eep.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Cyrillo Rongway
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Here's a workaround to fit your job switching macros into a smaller space.

Quote Originally Posted by Rongway View Post
    Here's a set of macros that will become even more useful with the addition of new jobs next summer:

While we think of only "hotbar 9" as a single hotbar, there is actually a hotbar 9 for each class and each job, and additionally a separate hotbar 9 for "shared". These macros take advantage of the distinction between a class/job hotbar and the shared hotbar to store the many versions of one hotbar on various classes/jobs and switching which currently occupies the shared hotbar.

Overview:
    • Turn on hotbar sharing for the bar(s) you want to use for switching. (/characterconfig, Hotbar Settings, Sharing)
    • Create macros for each class/job/menu category you want to use.
    • Make multiple versions of the bar, each with a different category "expanded", saving them on classes or jobs.

Example macro set:
    Code:
    Magic DDs  : /hotbar copy thm 9 share 9
    Ranged DDs : /hotbar copy arc 9 share 9
    Melee DDs  : /hotbar copy pgl 9 share 9
    Healers    : /hotbar copy cnj 9 share 9
    Tanks      : /hotbar copy gla 9 share 9

Crafters   : /hotbar copy crp 10 share 10
    Gatherers  : /hotbar copy min 10 share 10
    Hunt Bills : /hotbar copy fsh 10 share 10
                 Aside: my example shows this macro with the Battle Stance icon: /micon "Battle Stance" emote
    Set up hotbar 9 as your caster gearsets, then put the macros for each other job category on the bar so it looks something like

RDM BLM SMN Healers Tanks Rangers Meleers

in whatever order you prefer. Then save the bar to where your magic DDs macro says it should be, which is just manually running the reverse command:

Code:
    /hotbar copy share 9 thm 9
    Then set up hotbar 9 for healers, something like

Casters WHM SCH AST Tanks Rangers Meleers

Then save the bar to where your healers macro says it should be:

Code:
    /hotbar copy share 9 cnj 9
    etc.

Once finished, you'll be able to click a category to "expand" it, and therefore be able to fit all your jobs on one bar. If you want all combat jobs and all non combat classes on one bar, you'll need to combine (healers and tanks) and/or (casters and rangers) to make them fit, since the number of categories plus the highest number of options in an "expanded" category can't exceed 12. Or, you can put two hotbars together, and have each macro switch both bars.
    (2)
    Error 3102 Club, Order of the 52nd Hour

Player
    Character
    Elrica Lavandula
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Here's a workaround to fit your job switching macros into a smaller space.
    Unfortunately this would only work if you play with mouse and keyboard. Not really usable with a controller. If I would play with m+kb I would do it like that. I tried making it work with a controller, but it's not really possible. For anyone that doesn't play with a controller, this is a great solution though because it's even easier than changing your class through the menu.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ociela Koslun
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    I want to say touchpad for PS4 controller, then theres a button combo to turn your left stick into a cursor, you an then just manually click a bar on the right side of your screen just for hotbar changing.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Cyrillo Rongway
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Limonia View Post
    Unfortunately this would only work if you play with mouse and keyboard. Not really usable with a controller. If I would play with m+kb I would do it like that. I tried making it work with a controller, but it's not really possible. For anyone that doesn't play with a controller, this is a great solution though because it's even easier than changing your class through the menu.
    The visual format would be a bit different but you could still do it with /chotbar (just add a 'c' to each line). The underlying principles are the same: you have (# of jobs)+(# of classes)+1(shared) versions of each chotbar 1 through 8 that you can use to swap bars in and out.

It's even actually more compact on a chotbar. For regular hotbars, you need two bars to handle all jobs and all classes, but you can fit all jobs and classes on a single chotbar (not even an expanded bar, just a regular chotbar). LT+button to change job category, RT+button to change job.

And whether you're using hotbars or chotbars, you can also add "/hudlayout #" to each category macro, and then you don't have to spend a million macro slots on job changes. Press the Healers button to change your hudlayout to healing layout and bring up the healer gearsets; press the melee DDs button to switch to your melee DD hudlayout and bring up the melee DD gearsets; etc.
    (2)
    Last edited by Rongway; 04-17-2019 at 07:06 PM.

Player
    Character
    Elrica Lavandula
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by OcieKo View Post
    I want to say touchpad for PS4 controller, then theres a button combo to turn your left stick into a cursor, you an then just manually click a bar on the right side of your screen just for hotbar changing.
    I thought this only works for the PS4 version, but not the PC version.

The visual format would be a bit different but you could still do it with /chotbar (just add a 'c' to each line). The underlying principles are the same: you have (# of jobs)+(# of classes)+1(shared) versions of each chotbar 1 through 8 that you can use to swap bars in and out.

It's even actually more compact on a chotbar. For regular hotbars, you need two bars to handle all jobs and all classes, but you can fit all jobs and classes on a single chotbar (not even an expanded bar, just a regular chotbar). LT+button to change job category, RT+button to change job.

And whether you're using hotbars or chotbars, you can also add "/hudlayout #" to each category macro, and then you don't have to spend a million macro slots on job changes. Press the Healers button to change your hudlayout to healing layout and bring up the healer gearsets; press the melee DDs button to switch to your melee DD hudlayout and bring up the melee DD gearsets; etc.
    Thanks, I'll look into it. I would prefer it to not use my hotbars for stuff like this anymore, but there is not really a good way to change your class together with a HUD layout other than using macros for it and putting them on your hotbars I guess.
    I think it's a little inconvenient to have two instead of one button press every time I switch from one crafting class to another though. Or does it stay showing all the crafting classes if you press on the crafters symbol?

Now if we could have prettier macro icons as well... ^^

(And what if they someday remove classes and we only have jobs? We couldn't use macros like this anymore.)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Y'kayah Tia
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 50
    I think it's a little inconvenient to have two instead of one button press every time I switch from one crafting class to another though. Or does it stay showing all the crafting classes if you press on the crafters symbol?
    It should stay on whichever category you'd last selected, so the selecting category step would only apply when you're going from one category to another rather than e.g. from one crafting class to another.

But even when you are changing categories, if you compare it to the standard default way to switch gear sets:
    1) From the main menu, open the character window.
    2) From there, open the gear set list.
    3) From there, select the gear set you want. (involves having to scroll through the list if on controller)

Instead this pattern has:
    1) Switch to this gear sets cross-hotbar.
    2) Select the category (if different than current)
    3) Select the gear set.

It's no harder than before, in fact slightly easier since the last step doesn't need scrolling through the list, and the second step is sometimes unnecessary.

It is a fair amount of work to set it up in the first place, though.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Cyrillo Rongway
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    (And what if they someday remove classes and we only have jobs? We couldn't use macros like this anymore.)
    You still would be able to. You'd just store each bar on a job instead. You'd still have (# of jobs)+1(shared) available versions of each hotbar.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Elrica Lavandula
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    I tried it out and it was pretty easy and quick to set up.
    I've used the pvp LB icons for each role for the icons, they were the only ones I found that had the role icons. Of course they are greyed out, but whatever. Better than the default macro icons with the numbers on them that don't differentiate between the DPS jobs.

When I change my hotbar set, my WXHB changes with it (I have it set to cycle so when I'm on hotbar 1 the WXHB shows hotbar 2. When I press R1 it changes to hotbar 3+4 and so on). So when I change to hotbar 8 the WXHB shows hotbar 1. But whatever. It's only for switching classes anyway.
    I had planned to use hotbars 5-8 for emotes, but then I'll use 5-7 for it. 7 will show the job change bar above it then though... maybe you can make emote hotbars with macros like that as well?

(I would still like it to be able to link the HUD layout to a gearset like you can with your glamour plate though ^^)
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast