Player
    Character
    Maeka Blazewing
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by ChameleonMS View Post
    PLD is the tankiest tank in the early game if you are MSQ locked.
    DRK is the most complete tank early if you have already reached Heavensward on a different class. You start at lv30.

AoE damage, very important when pulling larger packs:
    PLD - Total Ecplise lv46, and Circle of Scorn at lv50
    DRK - Unleash lv6, Dark Passenger lv40, and Salted Earth lv52

Single DPS target rotation:
    PLD - Fast Blade, Riot Blade, Goring Blade lv54 / Riot Blade lv60
    DRK - Hard Slash, Siphon Strike and Soul Eater lv38

In all situations, DRK gets more of its toolkit soon than the PLD.
    You do not need Total Eclipse whatsoever for a PLD. Shield Oath (Lv30) and Flash is more than enough to grab and hold aggro. Before Lv30, use two Flashes at the beginning of each pull and if it's taking awhile to kill everything, throw a third a little bit later. You should never, ever, ever lose hate.

PLDs get Rage of Halone by the time they get to Haukke Manor, so you have a 3-button combo by Lv30. It isn't Goring Blade, but it works fine up until HW levels.

PLD rotation changes when you get Royal Authority at Level 60 (you should use it instead of RoH) but it's still a 1-2-3. Sheltron and Clemency gives you extra tools to optionally use, and later on, Holy Spirit enters the picture (which makes Sheltron and Riot Blade even more important).

In the late 40s and 50 you get Spirits Within and Circle of Scorn, but they are oGCD abilities and can easily be weaved in. You get Total Eclipse, but I find that I only use that when we're facing exceptionally large packs of enemies. I use it for DPS, rather than enmity because seriously, Shield Oath+Flash and/or Circle of Scorn is way more than you should ever need.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Araminta Kressida
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 81
    My tanks are 70pld, 65drk & 60war

My favorite tank early on was Warrior as it seemed to have everything I wanted from it in regards to how I tank.

PLD was my first tank and I highly recommend it as someones first tank if they have never tanked in a mmo game before as I find the shield nullifies some of the cluelessness.

DRK I love the mp based moves it has (which is plenty) and it's different to the tp based (mostly) above. But I did find it confusing starting at 30 as I prefer to learn each move as they come.

Hope this helps. Remember it is my personal perspective.
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2