Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Player
    Character
    Sebazy Spiritwalker
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    At the risk of side tracking the thread, I don't think your approach is giving you a net benefit overall, at least when taken to the extremes in the way you did on that first boss.

Here's a comparison log from the full Ala Mhigo who's clip I linked above. Have you got a log for your run? It'd make for a good side by side.

Whilst I took liberties with Raffter's HP, I generally kept the rest above 50% because that's just my cautious nature so if you've got a log for your run there it'll make for an interesting comparison. I suspect I would have thrown more heals and generally been less efficient than you on this front. However I'm wondering if my aggression with mid pull dotting combined with chasing all the GCDs was enough to make this up as I've always felt that these two factors were what made my dungeon DPS as high as it is despite being a little more cautious than some.
    (0)
    ~ WHM / badSCH / Snob ~ http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/871132/ ~

Player
    Character
    Maeka Blazewing
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    I never meant to use my own clips as a "benchmark" and yes I do realize that I over-heal, and that's not what I'm saying to do.
    I was over-healing because I was rusty (clip #1) and trying a new style (clip #2).

Once I get settled into the new style, I will indeed let them go down a little lower before starting to throw heals.

But I'm talking about, for example, that 1 minute video that was posted earlier in this thread of the first pull of Ala Mihgo where you were healing an FC tank. You let him get down to, what was that? 5k? 7k? Health before dumping a Benediction on him.

I've had healers do this to me as a tank in Randoms, and you know... what if a lag spike hit you at that very moment? I'm standing there with 5k health, the healer attempts to use Benediction and ends up with a 2-second lag spike... next thing I know I'm dead.

Now if that happens in some kind of emergency situation, sure.... but I think it is entirely reckless to do that on purpose. And quite unnecessary, IMO.

But yeah I do understand what you guys are saying about keeping people at 100% full-time. That's a bit overkill and I realize that. But again, I was doing it to make sure people don't die while I get used to the new style, new buttons, etc. I like to do a few runs like that, and gradually weave in more DPS as I get more comfortable.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sebazy Spiritwalker
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    My post was aimed at Eamett’s replay, I should have been clearer there.

One detail I will note though, look a little closer at Raffter’s HP. I could have safely delayed that Benediction by 2 or 3 GCDs due to everything being stunned by Holy. It was actually a lot safer than it looked. However with Pug tanks I am more cautious still. Watch my first video (@12:30) to get a better idea of how I handle Bene’s in solo roulettes. I’m pretty confident my approach is decently considerate.
    (0)
    Last edited by Sebazy; 05-19-2018 at 02:06 AM.
    ~ WHM / badSCH / Snob ~ http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/871132/ ~

Player
    Character
    Ea Sin
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    I don't have a log but I can go make one if you want. I'm not really sure how effective comparing might be since tank and party dps play a pretty important factor. But there's bound to be something interesting in there. I also do think your hot along the way strat is a very efficient dps approach.

And don't get me wrong, the extra CDs gained aren't going to make or break your(my?) dps. But the same could be said for many optimisations. The main takeaway here is that it doesn't matter where people's HP lay so long as you're in control. There's no difference between a player with 10k hp taking a 9999hp hit, or a player with 100k taking the same hit. They both live and you adjust your healing in preparation for the next mechanic.
    I can understand people getting flustered at low HP, or wanting to take a more cautious approach. Ultimately it doesn't matter what your pick is in 4 man content the gain/loss in time will be minimal either way. But why even bother optimizing if those are the standards?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sebazy Spiritwalker
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by EaMett View Post
    And don't get me wrong, the extra CDs gained aren't going to make or break your(my?) dps. But the same could be said for many optimisations.
    Yep agreed. I suppose my main point is that I just feel worried that if the DPS or Tank start panicking and trying to cover heals themselves rather than putting their trust in me, it's effectively undoing the work we've strived to achieve. Plus of course there's always that small risk of someone taking umbrage and having a tantrum over it

As far as why all the optimisation goes? I'll openly hold my hands up and admit that I am a crummy at putting good DPS out in Savage content, old dog and new tricks etc. I'm just too cautious even with my co-healer who is literally one of the very best in the EU. For whatever strange reason, I'm far more willing to take risks and push boundaries in 4 and 24 man content and as such, I really enjoy seeing how far I can push my DPS here since I'm never going to be particularly competitive in Savage 8 man.
    (0)
    Last edited by Sebazy; 05-19-2018 at 05:04 PM.

Player
    Character
    Maeka Blazewing
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Once I get comfortable, I think my style is going to be "somewhat decent DPS, but nobody dies, ever, if I can possibly help it" kinda thing. I might overheal some, and I might not be doing as much DPS, but I should not be seeing RDMs throwing Vercures or Paladins spamming Clemency while I'm healer, lol.

On the flipside, I'm not going to just stand there and do nothing for no reason (I know there are times I pause for a second or two, but that's just me evaluating or waiting on a cooldown and sometimes it is literally me going "eh... I forget what this boss does... I know he's about to do something..." lol.

My memory is terrible sometimes (thanks to sleep apnea), esp. in Dungeons I haven't seen in 3+ months. That, and some of the dungeons are rushed so much these days, that I STILL don't know the mechanics to some that I've run a dozen times. I did Sastasha Hard as a PLD (that I mentioned before). I had absolutely NO clue what I was supposed to do in the Kraken fight, other than "avoid the stuff on the ground", because you know, nobody bothers explaining things or even paying attention to mechanics anyways. There are also times that I am literally blank minded for a second or two going "uh.... oh, right, I'm supposed to be throwing Stone" lol. Not sure why.

I know I'll never be in Savage Raids, I just don't got the cajones for it (I'm a casual player, that kinda thing ain't for me and I admit that, so I won't be coming to your Savage Run and then being that guy you rant about sucking), so if I can do 4 and 8 man stuff OK for MSQ and such, and if people give me comms, then that means that I'm doing a decent job altogether, if people are having fun.

But yes, I did see room for improvement, and I'm making improvement, especially in targeting. This thread has already borne some fruit in that respect; I target with F keys now instead of clicking, and my hotbar improvements mean I never accidentally swap and I rarely click stuff on hotbars either. I'm glad because there are times I nearly wiped the group because of that lol.

I still remember tho... my first Aurum Vale run... the group members sounded worried that this newbie healer might not handle the first and last bosses that well....

..... nobody died. Hehe. Easy 3 comms.
    (0)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3