Player
    Character
    Mantu Calias
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70

SCH: What to do when Fairy catches aggro

I am a pretty new healer. I have a 52 Scholar, but I've only been healing since about level 42.

I am doing levelling roulettes as a way of educating myself as well as gaining XP. In general, I feel that I'm doing a pretty good job, but I have noticed one situation in which I get distracted and I have let people die.

That's when my Fairy gets aggro, and she's being whacked on. I have no idea what do do in that situation. I have tried running over to the tank, but I can't see if she's following, and I don't know what to do about her situation.

I appreciate any useful help.

Thanks,
    Mantu
    (0)

Character
    Shinigami Zetta
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Depends on what your doing. Some mobs will agro it if they see it other based on their actions. I normally dismiss if I'm sneaking around or set it to obey when in group and pulling to prevent enmity based on auto actions. Once pull is over I just set to auto or keep it in obey being I rather administer actions my self. It really varies by your play style.

Note any regen on tank cast by you or fairy will auto gain enmity when tank pulls.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Princess Mae'a
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 90
    If I'm solo, I just place my fairy at a static spot and run away out of range. When she unspawns, they normally ignore me.

In a party, I just normally move her beside the tank. Either he'll get aggro off her or she'll die and the tank aoe aggro will grab them when he does his rotation.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Duvvvv Starflux
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    just let the fairy take the hits while you're rezzing the DPS/keeping the tank alive. you can cast sustain then return to healing the party.
    fairy should be able to take care of itself, and it's a good distraction when things go awry. tank should be able to aggro the mob back.
    if you just need to move your fairy near the tank then use place. you should always take advantage of place esp during boss fights.
    if the fairy dies you can always summon it back, a bit of a setback but not impossible to recover from.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Mantu Calias
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Okay, thank you all. Dumb question: How do you move the Fairy? I have been just using the default settings, which I guess means she's following me around?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Astra Tsuki
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantu View Post
    Okay, thank you all. Dumb question: How do you move the Fairy? I have been just using the default settings, which I guess means she's following me around?
    There should be a skill called "Place" I believe. It's in the pet toolbar. Just make sure you tell her to "Heel" after the fight, or she will stay there as you move farther till the distance limit is reached and it auto desummons. (This also applies to SMN pets as well)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Cyrillo Rongway
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Tell the tank to Flash/Overpower/Unleash more.

Also use Place. Useful macro for Heel/Place so you don't need two buttons:
    Code:
    /pac Heel
    /pac Place
    /micon Place pet
    (1)
    Error 3102 Club, Order of the 52nd Hour

Player
    Character
    Kisa Kisa
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 84
    Quote Originally Posted by Rongway View Post
    Tell the tank to Flash/Overpower/Unleash more.
    This. The Fairy is not a tank. If the fairy is catching aggro you have two solutions:
    1. Tell the tank to use flash, or use the right combos to keep enmity. Eos will otherwise generate more enmity than the tank can create if they're doing it wrong.
    2. Unsummon Eos and use Selene. Selene is more useful for her AoE debuff removal, but that's rarely needed in most content, hence players use Eos. Eos's party heal generates enmity from the HoT in the same way casting Medica II/Aspected Helios does, thus she will cast it needlessly and draw all the aggro to her.

If you switch fairies mid-battle, you'll transfer the enmity to the next person on the enmity list AFAIK, which will likely be you if the tank wasn't good at generating enmity.
    (0)
    Last edited by KisaiTenshi; 04-27-2018 at 08:18 PM.

Player
    Character
    Tempest Deep
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantu View Post
    That's when my Fairy gets aggro, and she's being whacked on. I have no idea what do do in that situation. I have tried running over to the tank, but I can't see if she's following, and I don't know what to do about her situation.
    Congrats. You got yourself a bad tank. Let her take the hits and rez her when she dies. The only time you should reasonably see this is with new tanks in the first couple dungeons (in which case it's not a big problem because the fairies can tank in those dungeons just fine.) If you see it in higher level dungeons, they aren't doing their job.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Winter Gem
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Your fairy shouldn't be grabbing aggro. Leaving the Fairy on Auto Pilot is bad habit that you will want to break as soon as possible. Selene can run around on Sic no problem but Eos has very very very strong skills and you will want to make sure you use them at the correct time because nothing is worse, especially in low level dungeons, than having no options to heal the party because the fairy blew all her cool downs before anyone ever needed them. If you are using her to heal in the right situations she will almost never grab aggro from the tank and tanks will appreciate it.
    (3)
    Last edited by NobleWinter; 04-28-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast