Player
    Character
    Kaelnok Furyclaw
    World
    Seraph
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 82

Lvl 60 PLD quest/cutscene question...

POSSIBLE SPOILER for those that have not yet finished the PLD quests to level 60 yet.

Without going into great detail, here's my question: At the end of the level 60 PLD quest "This Little Sword of Mine", If you give Oathkeeper to Jenlyns (as he is the Captain of the Sultansworn paladins and is it's rightful owner now), why/how does Constaint end up carrying it in the cutscenes & then again at Falcon's Nest when you part ways?

Did I miss something in the story there? Or... is this one of those things where one of the devs messed up and designed the characters/3D models with the wrong weapons?

Sorry if it's a bit of a oddball question, I just finished the quest ~10 minutes ago and noticed that and it's eating at me. That whole quest chain was... worthy of more than a few GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRs (if you know what I mean).
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    I just checked my screenshots of the scene in question (as it was several years ago now I did that quest so my memory is hazy), but looking at the screenshots, you've got some characters mixed up. Constaint doesn't have Oathkeeper at all at any time, he's equipped with Solkzagyl's blade which is a brother blade to Curtana (one of the three blades cast from a fragment of Oathkeeper that were given to the original three founding members of the Sultansworn, the player has Curtana canonically of course, with the other two being Durandal and Joyuese, so Solkzagyl's blade is either of these).

Initially Constaint is equipped with a generic knight sword but as soon as you enter the battle against him he is suddenly equipped with Durandal/Joyuese (and full AF), with no explanation.

Instead, it is Solkzagyl who wields Oathkeeper (it's the blade he uses in battle against you - this is because he has to use his old PLD Soul Crystal to restore the 'light' to Oathkeeper, the 'tainted' soul crystal he originally gave you way back in the very first PLD Job quest which Jenlyns has held onto since then.). Hence after that scene Solkzagyl leaves with Oathkeeper - it was already part of his model.

As for why he left with it, well, Solkzagyl himself mentioned that Oathkeeper "is just a sword", so Jenlyns probably felt that the symbolism the blade held was no longer important to restoring the reputation of the Sultansworn as more their deeds (epitomized by the player's actions). But then, the narrative of the PLD quests was rather simplistic, but that's just my opinion..
    (1)
    Last edited by Enkidoh; 04-22-2018 at 04:52 AM.

Player
    Character
    Kaelnok Furyclaw
    World
    Seraph
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 82
    Thank you for the reply, sorry it took me a few days to get back.

I went back and re-watched the cutscenes today after reading your post, & I must have some seriously heinous short term memory loss because I don't know I mixed them up. Oathkeeper, being grey-ish and lacking ornamental features is (imo) bland looking compared to the sword Constaint ends up with, which has a lot more gold & blue decorations.

At least you've managed to help me clarify that and get it out of my mind, confusing stories I can handle to some extent... but bloopers/holes in stories bug me, and this can be put to rest now that I'm aware it was 'just me'.

Thank you!
    (0)