Player
    Character
    Cloudio Onizuka
    World
    Aegis
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90

The old civilization of Gelmorra and the goddess Nophica

Hello again, fellas o' the void (or Void *cough*check here Ferne*cough*)!

I've a Great interest in the named places on the map written in Eorzean characters. I wish they all had a story of their own, as I requested in another thread.
    The one that intrerests me the most is probably the Gelmorra Ruins north of Camp Emerald Moss (and the peaceful, rewarding-for-your-endeavors area of Proud Creek above), so in patch 1.20 I was surely glad to learn some first informations from Millith Ironheart in Buscarron's Fold:

Today, I also read this post in Reinheart translations' Topic, a looong lore post Foxclon of the Japanese Community Team wrote some days ago, about the original japanese name of the abilities Sacred Prism and Shroud of Saints, that are originally called “Compassion of the Goddess” and “Protection of the Goddess”, a reference to the goddess Nophica “big-boobs”, the Matron.

Even if I understood most of Reinheart's translation, I'd like to ask Fernehalwes, renowned voisent of the LOC team that often seismic screams us some interesting lore tidbits, if:

Can we have an official translation of that post?

At the beginning of it, Gelmorra is briefly mentioned, but I don't understand very well that part. Maybe it says that the Conjurers were originally from the underground city of Gelmorra and learned there their first arts and ability to commune with the Twelveswood's elementals?
    Surely Nophica appears to have been the patron deity of Gelmorra, too.

Lastly, considering those 2 abilities have that little backstory in their names, was it intended to remove the “Goddess” part in the English localization, or is there some other meaning in Sacred Prism and Shroud of Saints, like in their japanese counterparts?
    Foxclon says their name would have been too long in English, but “Goddess' Compassion” and “Goddess' Protection” don't seem that long. Just asking, I'm fine with localization's choices.

Well, anyway, when you've the time, if you can answer me and post an official translation of this, offering any other new tidbits would make amends for not already posting it (just kidding, of course, I know you're eye-on patch 1.21!).
    Since not everyone follows Reinheart's translations, more adventurers might read it here in the Localization forum... Then if we can trick/lure one among the morbol, the opo-opo, the cactuar or the snurble to bring the official translation up in the dev tracker, even better.

I think those kind of lore posts deserve their own attention.

Thanks, and take your time!

Cloudio Onizuka, future Gelmorra Explorer

P.S.: For those interested, here's an older post of Ferne on Nophica.
    (13)

An Adventurer's Dream of his house by the sea: http://goo.gl/tCsp1z
    -------
    Interested in Lore? Support the Great Library/A library in Ishgard with outdoor balcony. Let's have a true library in Eorzea! => http://goo.gl/Hkp2AQ
    -------
    The 7th Umbral Era – All the Events from my Journey in the old Eorzea => http://goo.gl/pGkhn

Player
    Character
    Lienn Deleene
    World
    Gungnir
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 50
    Heck! This poster is a trap...just can't go past it without stopping a min to admire its "features"! It's by far the best art from FFXIV until now! @_@

Anyway...since you seem to have placed a voidsent bait somewhere here, i'd like to leave an off-topic question to our LOCy buds since this annoyed me even from when i still played FFXI...

Why is it "Valentione" and not Valentine? Is it a holiday whose name cannot be used here or is there something else?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Cloudio Onizuka
    World
    Aegis
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90

On Topic

Uhm, maybe you should ask that in the Valentione's Day Topic or in a new one (I think it's just another one of the many puns in Eorzea, being Arabelle de Valentione the name of the countess of Ishgard which the festivity pays tribute to), this is a discussion about a completely different matter.
    Ferne and Co. haven't been posting in a while, I bet it's because they're super busy with 1.21, and having more topics in a single Topic wouldn't help them.
    (2)

-------
    Interested in Lore? Support the Great Library/A library in Ishgard with outdoor balcony. Let's have a true library in Eorzea! => http://goo.gl/Hkp2AQ
    -------
    The 7th Umbral Era – All the Events from my Journey in the old Eorzea => http://goo.gl/pGkhn

Player
    Character
    Lienn Deleene
    World
    Gungnir
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 50
    Ya just didn't want to create a new topic for this (didn't saw the one you put the link or i'd have it posted there). I also understand that there is a lore behind it...'m just curious about the name itself because this one in special was used at FFXI too and just looks like some kind of mispelling that was kept since then.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Cloudio Onizuka
    World
    Aegis
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90

Distant Saints Wanted

*shily raises a special luring Ahriman Glass Lens*

Ehm, sorry for bringing this back up, but since it ended on second page and over one month has passed, I wanted to ask if there's still a possibility to have that post translated and receive an answer to my other lore questions in the first post.

I was waiting for post patch 1.21 before doing the request again, as I know the LOC Team is ultra-busy over there in the void, so here I am. The Localization section is always the first one I visit every day, and will still be in any case.

*goes back to hunt down for distant saints*
    (1)

-------
    -------

Hey Onizuka,

I just wanted to assure you that we haven't forgotten about you (or your post), but as you mentioned, we are ultra-busy working to get in-game content translated...as well as preparing things for 2.0. We're essentially making two games at once! This has left little time for anything beyond what the almighty Yoshi-P has delivered to our doorsteps.

However, all is not lost! We are currently in talks with the Community & Service team (the guys that run the Lodestone) to add a Lore page to the forums, providing us with a proper place to put lore posts (including the monster you mentioned), and at the same time, a better place for players to post their questions, hold discussions, and speculate about past, present, and future events. Once we have an answer from C&S, I'll get back to you!
    (21)

Player
    Character
    Rane Farstrider
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    Hey Onizuka,

I just wanted to assure you that we haven't forgotten about you (or your post), but as you mentioned, we are ultra-busy working to get in-game content translated...as well as preparing things for 2.0. We're essentially making two games at once! This has left little time for anything beyond what the almighty Yoshi-P has delivered to our doorsteps.

However, all is not lost! We are currently in talks with the Community & Service team (the guys that run the Lodestone) to add a Lore page to the forums, providing us with a proper place to put lore posts (including the monster you mentioned), and at the same time, a better place for players to post their questions, hold discussions, and speculate about past, present, and future events. Once we have an answer from C&S, I'll get back to you!

A lore page on the Lodestone would be a great idea! Thanks, Ferne.

I'm sorry that you're crazy-busy. I have to admit, though... the fact that you're working on 2.0 is exciting news to me. Some people might think "well duh, of course!" But back when the 2.0 PDFs hit, there was an interview with Yoshida in which he said that, for the most part, just programmers were working on 2.0 (as it was in its early stages). Then in a late January producer's letter, a 2.0 build was "on the shop floor". Now 2.0 work has made its way to the localization team...exciting!

Um...for me, that is. Again, sorry you're so busy! (^^);;
    (2)
    Last edited by Rane; 03-14-2012 at 05:46 AM.

Player
    Character
    Cloudio Onizuka
    World
    Aegis
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90

Great!

Of course I understand that you're all full of work and just wanted to have a sign of life. Thanks for taking the time to answer me. And wow, the LOC Team is already on the move with 2.0, that's good to know!

I'll definitely be looking forward the “Lore Section”: it'd be a Great place for us lore-interested adventurers to share our informations.

The story of Eorzea has such a big potential and it's a shame many just skip through quests' text, so I'm sure the Lore section and a direct feed with you fellas from the void will please those that like to enjoy reading every dialogue like me (and maybe interest those other adventurers used with the skippin', who knows).
    (3)

-------
    -------

Player
    Character
    Orophin Calmcacil
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    I'm a big fan of story and lore, and even though I don't hardly post in the Localization forums, I'd like to thank Ferne and the others from the LOC team for posting.

I put this as one of my suggestions in the newest player poll, but I figured I'd mention it here as well. You specifically mentioned putting a Lore section in the forums, and I think that'd be great for Q&A. But it'd also be nice if there were a section for it on the front page of the Lodestone on the navbar to the left with the rest of the different sections for already established information pertaining to the lore and story of FFXIV.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Eyriwaen Zirhmusyn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Something I'm wondering... could the lore page on the lodestone be reflected by what we have done in-game? So completing certain quests adds pages to the lore as our characters themselves discover more of the world's secrets?
    (4)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast