Player
    Character
    Nixx Delumi
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Thamorian View Post
    And how many of these "people" are actually human? When I see the same few people undercutting no matter the day or time, then I think we need some kind of limiter. And people can check their prices before closing the retainer.
    Probably more than you think. After all, if you're on to see them undercutting you, then all you've discovered is that their play times are similar to yours.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Shizuka Hio
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    I tend to message the competitor and crush him by totally flooding everything he's selling until he stop being an ass and play the pricematch game

They're usually pretty cocky at first, but after selling jack-shit for 2 weeks they changes their mind
    (0)
    Last edited by Ninkyo; 08-04-2018 at 12:55 AM.

Player
    Character
    K'nahli Yohko
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 89
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam_Harper View Post
    I'm not sure why people dislike this. You are going to be undercut regardless, that's how markets work. A 1g undercut means the market value of the item hasn't really dropped. That's a good thing. If the buyer is on your market (let's say your retainer is selling in Ul'dah and your undercutter is Limsa) your item will sell. Not worth teleporting to save 1gil. Also good.

Agreed. Myself and anyone crafting X item are doing so for profit. Unless an item is not selling then I see no reason to lower the market value significantly each time when we can just take turns propping ourselves up to the top now and then to achieve some light sense of symbiosis. I find it far more respectful of your fellow sellers to abide close to their price point rather than force them to cut more than they like/are willing to.

With that said, I've noted that certain people seem to get irritated by this regardless, so if I ever see a trend where the undercuts are much larger - but systematic - then I will follow along with that.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Song Sparrow
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixxe View Post
    Probably more than you think. After all, if you're on to see them undercutting you, then all you've discovered is that their play times are similar to yours.
    I'd wager at least a few of the constant, instant undercutters are botters. If you're always getting undercut instantly by the same people what are the actual chances that they're always on at the same time as you and always able to undercut right away? It's like when I tried to give the benefit of the doubt to gathering botters, that we just had the same play schedule and goals. There's almost zero chance that they'd always be at the node at the same time as me, playing at the exact same times.
    (1)

cerise leclaire
    (bad omnicrafter & terrible astrologian)

Player
    Character
    Nixx Delumi
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Elamys View Post
    I'd wager at least a few of the constant, instant undercutters are botters. If you're always getting undercut instantly by the same people what are the actual chances that they're always on at the same time as you and always able to undercut right away? It's like when I tried to give the benefit of the doubt to gathering botters, that we just had the same play schedule and goals. There's almost zero chance that they'd always be at the node at the same time as me, playing at the exact same times.
    I'm not saying there are no botters, but in my many years of playing MMORPGs and other online games, it has become clear to me that people frequently rush to the bot explanation over every little action that doesn't fit into their narrow idea of how people play the game. For instance, how do you know you're getting undercut every five minutes unless you're checking the MB that frequently? And if you're checking it that frequently, why is it so unreasonable for them to do the same that they must be botting?
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Frizze Steeleblaze
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixxe View Post
    For instance, how do you know you're getting undercut every five minutes unless you're checking the MB that frequently? And if you're checking it that frequently, why is it so unreasonable for them to do the same that they must be botting?
    Me? I dont run into these problems because i am an erratic seller. Ive already made more money then i could reasonably spend, so i dont actively try to make more. I list a few things here and there, but i only check the prices a couple times a week. But if i was still actively making money and i suspected that i was competing with a bot then i might change my behavior. Back then i used to check prices when i logged on and logged off. But if i suspected a bot, i imagine i would check a minute or two after relisting something to test my theory. And knowing the way my mind works, i would probly try to tank the market for that item as a way to "deal" with the bot. And i know youre right that people blame bots for other player behaviors that they dont understand, but gathering bots are real. Ive seen a horde of them magically appear at a timed node, swing in unison, and magically disappear after finishing.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Nixx Delumi
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Frizze View Post
    Me? I dont run into these problems because i am an erratic seller. Ive already made more money then i could reasonably spend, so i dont actively try to make more. I list a few things here and there, but i only check the prices a couple times a week. But if i was still actively making money and i suspected that i was competing with a bot then i might change my behavior. Back then i used to check prices when i logged on and logged off. But if i suspected a bot, i imagine i would check a minute or two after relisting something to test my theory. And knowing the way my mind works, i would probly try to tank the market for that item as a way to "deal" with the bot. And i know youre right that people blame bots for other player behaviors that they dont understand, but gathering bots are real. Ive seen a horde of them magically appear at a timed node, swing in unison, and magically disappear after finishing.
    Yeah, gathering bots I've definitely seen as well. I ran into a swarm of them in Central Thanalan once. They were mining something at the botany nodes in the Clutch and just kept moving together underground. They all had gibberish names too. At that point your choices for explanations are basically 1) bots or 2) it doesn't matter because they're still clearly exploiting.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Alijana Tumet
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    Trying combat botters by undercutting them doesn't really work because they don't feel a need to factor in the labor cost involved in gathering/crafting and will readily drop their prices much lower then legitimate players would be comfortable with if it means getting faster sales and/or making their competition back off.

Most of the food/infusions on my server are going for a measly 3.5-4K a piece right now because of them and that feels too low in the time/profit ratio to even bother with.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ish Kabibble
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 80
    "then undercuts the lowest price on the MB by one gil "

I don't worry one bit. Personally,I refuse to buy ANYTHING from someone who plays that game, and I know a lot of people who believe the same way. But if you figure the varied tax applied to items, a lot of times it's cheaper to pay a little extra from your local vendor or even travel to the selling city if it means saving 100k in taxes. But if you're a crafter and you've been playing this game more than 6 months, you count your gold in tens and hundreds of millions. My little Lalafell, Ish Kabibble, uses 100 gil notes just to light her Cohiba Red Dot cigars. If you really want to have the best price, charge 10 or 20% less than this goombah. Hell, charge 50% less. IT'S JUST A GAME! IMO the best idea of how to handle it is to not handle it at all. Yes, the gil is a measure of our success as crafters, but it's actually meaningless. It won't buy me a bigger fishing boat, it's not going to pay for my grandkid's college, and it won't pay for my wife's new boobs.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nixx Delumi
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxsdad View Post
    "then undercuts the lowest price on the MB by one gil "

I don't worry one bit. Personally,I refuse to buy ANYTHING from someone who plays that game, and I know a lot of people who believe the same way.
    Who do you think this helps?
    (3)

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast