Player
    Character
    Callinon Soulforge
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by MistakeNot View Post
    I don't care what was done in other Final Fantasy games. I haven't played any of them, and have no plans to play any of them. From what I have heard, the use of suffixes is not universal throughout the FF series anyway.
    You're missing out then, a lot of them are excellent (some of them are 13... but that's neither here nor there).

Even if you have no prior exposure to the Final Fantasy series, you can at least acknowledge that you're playing Final Fantasy FOURTEEN. It's probably reasonable to assume that the 14th entry in a series probably shares some history with the entries before it.

The use of suffixes is pretty universal in this series. I've explained the reason it wasn't done in the early English translations.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Eeri Yul'hart
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 80
    I hate numbers being thrown out randomly, anything to have the more traditional naming.

They don't even make sense when 1 is single target, 2 is AoE but only for damaging spells, 3 is again AoE but somehow smaller and only for Cure spells, 4 is again AoE but only for Thunder while Fire and Blizzard are single target. What the hell.

A mixed system would be optimal: numbers for increased potency, -ga/-ja for AoE on target, -ra for AoE on caster. Easy, consistent and visually appealing.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Callinon Soulforge
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Imakun View Post
    I hate numbers being thrown out randomly, anything to have the more traditional naming.

They don't even make sense when 1 is single target, 2 is AoE but only for damaging spells, 3 is again AoE but somehow smaller and only for Cure spells, 4 is again AoE but only for Thunder while Fire and Blizzard are single target. What the hell.

A mixed system would be optimal: numbers for increased potency, -ga/-ja for AoE on target, -ra for AoE on caster. Easy, consistent and visually appealing.
    That's my problem with it too. The numbers don't convey the one thing numbers are good at conveying. Simply copying FFXI's naming/numbering system would have been a much better choice. FFXI had a great naming system for spells (also a lot more spells, so it was super important).
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Kairi Kokoro
    World
    Kujata
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    While I was watching old episodes of Remnants of a realm, I noticed something in the 1.0 gameplay; Aero II was being used by a caster, with that name specifically. However, in much other gameplay you'd see the typical Fira, Firaga, so on, so forth. This means that naming the magic spells when they happen to be different mechanic-wise isn't an issue. Aero III as it's known now could be simply known as Aero II, with the upgrading Aero being known as Aero I... Aeroa I? Aera I? I don't actually know. And Aerora I. Stone could still be Stone I, II and III as it is mechanically different to traditional spells. I don't know EXACTLY how the spell naming scheme worked in 1.0- I'll have to keep an eye out.
    (0)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3