Player
    Character
    Aeidis Sieryn
    World
    Kujata
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80

INT melee and STR ranged dps job ideas?

Just something QoL for those casters that wanna occasionally play melee, or those STR melee that wanna play a ranged, just to make it easier for gearing another dps just like BRD/MCH/NIN do.

RDM had every opportunity to be the melee INT we need but it wasn't. Maybe cannoneer for STR, Blue Mage for INT. Or even adding Beastmaster as some sort of ranged axe master for STR.

And as a stretch, maybe a melee MND like dancer.
    (0)
    Last edited by Aeidis; 03-21-2018 at 01:29 AM.

Player
    Character
    Tal Young
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    What difference does it really make?

NIN could be made into an INT melee and the only difference it would make is that NIN gear would have INT on it instead of DEX.

But in the interests of being constructive, a physical ranged role Garlean gunblade based job could be STR based possibly, a mash up of machinist, dragoon and red mage. Jump into melee, do some pretty heavy handed stabbing, then jump back out to deploy magitek bits and stuff.
    Leaping about in Garlean armor, hitting things with a gunsword, aiming and firing said big heavy gunsword, and deploying heavy machinery all strike me as things you'd need to be strong to do.
    (3)
    Last edited by Jandor; 03-21-2018 at 02:43 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Player
    Character
    Aeidis Sieryn
    World
    Kujata
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandor View Post
    What difference does it really make?

NIN could be made into an INT melee and the only different it would make is that NIN gear would have INT on it instead of DEX.

But in the interests of being constructive, a physical ranged role Garlean gunblade based job could be STR based possibly, a mash up of machinist, dragoon and red mage. Jump into melee, do some pretty heavy handed stabbing, then jump back out to deploy magitek bits and stuff.
    Leaping about in Garlean armor, hitting things with a gunsword, aiming and firing said big heavy gunsword, and deploying heavy machinery all strike me as things you'd need to be strong to do.
    The difference would be benefiting from gearing one job and half of another on accessories like BRD and NIN benefit from DEX.

Gunblade would be awesome for STR ranged, and it would fit if we go to Garlemald in the next expansion, and then melee INT could be Magitek something! Great idea 10/10 you win - SE make it happen!
    (0)
    Last edited by Aeidis; 03-20-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Player
    Character
    Tal Young
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeidis View Post
    The difference would be benefiting from gearing one job and half of another on accessories like BRD and NIN benefit from DEX.

Gunblade would be awesome for STR ranged, and it would fit if we go to Garlemald in the next expansion, and then melee INT could be Magitek something! Great idea 10/10 you win - SE make it happen!
    Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they rolled all the different primary stats into one next expansion and just locked gear based on roles rather than STR/DEX/INT/MND.
    I know Yoshi said part of the reason they picked SAM/RDM was to balance the primary stats, but that's only going to last for this expansion at best. It's already technically a 6/3/3/3 distribution.

Thanks btw, although I think a physical ranged Gunblade job would have to be crafted pretty carefully to avoid treading on MCH toes. The melee component would definitely have to be more substantial than RDM's, personally I think it would be probably be best as a "reverse RDM" where it's in melee most of the time and jumps out to deploy magitek and shoot stuff briefly.
    Your cannoneer suggestion is probably a better ranged physical candidate. Beastmaster could work well as STR ranged physical as well, as like a non-magic counterpart to SMN.
    (0)
    Last edited by Jandor; 03-21-2018 at 03:01 AM.

Player
    Character
    Antony Gabbiani
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 90
    I'd like to see this expanded, and had been wondering about ideas for a melee INT based class (also I had incorrectly predicted RDM to have DEX as its primary stat rather than INT)

Considering it's likely we will see tank and healer jobs next expansion, though, I would be interested to see those changed up a little. Maybe using something like Chemist as a TP-based healer (instead of MP) that possibly uses INT as a primary stat instead of MND, and as such uses caster accessories. Similarly they could make a tanking job that relies more on dodging attacks instead of shielding against them, which would work at that point to use DEX as a main damage trait over STR.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sarynth Midgard
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    I'm thinking for a str based ranged job ranger (rng) would fit nicely. Add xbows little to no support skill and lots of firepower like its ffxi counterpart. Would think blu would fit the Int based melee best.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Antony Gabbiani
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarynth View Post
    I'm thinking for a str based ranged job ranger (rng) would fit nicely. Add xbows little to no support skill and lots of firepower like its ffxi counterpart. Would think blu would fit the Int based melee best.
    STR based ranged job for when they introduce Blitzball perhaps?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Shiru Elysia
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Primary stats are the most important stat. Yet, they could only make one called "Power", it would pretty much be the same.

Since we have no really stats customisation (they removed that system) and everything a job does is based on its primary stat now... well
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Tal Young
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by KDSilver View Post
    Primary stats are the most important stat. Yet, they could only make one called "Power", it would pretty much be the same.
    Literally the only thing that would change is that Summoners might decide to stick physick back on their bars.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Khuja'to Binbotaj
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    INT melee - mystic knight. Though I would much rather it be a tank (still technically a melee)

As for strength ranged.... Thematically not many jobs make sense, because the idea of strength is how hard you physically hit etc., and it's hard to do that from a distance
    (1)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast