Player
    Character
    Elune Baq
    World
    Ridill
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 42

Turning XP and lvling off

Yes. You heard me. I think there should be an option to turn leveling and xp gain off.

Reason:

There are in certain situations where it's unbeneficial to gain xp. For example, when you farm. You do not want to generate xp if you are farming materials off mobs for your crafter to make armour for your own level. If I for example am leveling leatherworker and armorer, I will with my farmer outlevel the armour I'm trying to craft through gathering materials for synth-xp. By the time I have the materials to level up my crafter, the armour I set to make have become outdated.

Another reason is that I may have the interest to not level away from regular lvling buddies that wish to experience the world together. If I now have time to play when others don't, I do not have the option to farm for my crafting while waiting for them, as I would then outlevel them.

Just something that popped into my head after farming bomb-ash for steel, realising I will basically past the point of needing the steel for my GLA if this keeps up. lol

Disclaimer: I'm new. If this have been proposed before, I apologize. And if there's a special reason that forced leveling would actually be a good thing for some unknown balancing reason (like loot drops or something. idk <_<), then I will not apologize, bc you should apologize to me for making me feel I should apologize to you. So I apologize for being rude asking you to apologize to me who should be the one apologizing.

(1)

Player
    Character
    Raldo Volca
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    No, thanks. If you need to not level, then use a different class.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Fiofel Zalalafell
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 1
    @OP, I see your concern although my thoughts were different when this was happening.

I thought, "Oh shoots, I *still* need bomb ash to make the steel to get my smithing levels to the next phase up." Local leves have been unkind to me travel-wise, so t'was looking for an alternative.

Out-leveling the friends will usually be a concern. At one step below the extreme, you may consider taking on a farming/solo War/Magic class and then set aside your level-with-friends class.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Geesus Ravenheart
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 70
    They had a system "sort of" in XI that allowed you to in the case with friends where you could lvl synch. I DO however get ur point about farming. What you can really only do is lvl 1 job to 50 and use IT to farm with. U'll kill low lvl mobs instantly and you know you should be able to do better drop higher mobs easily without feeling like ur wasting time.

Hope that made sense?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Mica Zerrshia
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    wait what? Oo

this post makes 0 sense and sounds like the op is just trying to start a flame war
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Mariya Shidou
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    Whut? You don't get lower drop rate when you're too high level AFAIK. At the very least over level farming is better for DoL when you want to mass produce something, you get more gain per gather and you get more gather per node...
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ai Oboeteimasuka
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    I recall that FFVII used to have materia which did this so its not a unique concept to the FF series. However the materia had some other awesome property so it a trade-off.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Elune Baq
    World
    Ridill
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 42
    Nice with some feedback!
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Fiosha_Maureiba View Post
    Out-leveling the friends will usually be a concern. At one step below the extreme, you may consider taking on a farming/solo War/Magic class and then set aside your level-with-friends class.
    Hehe, yeah. This is probably what I will have to resort to for avoiding that to happen. It does feel kinda lonely to pre-experience the game ahead of my mates, which was mostly the point of the suggestion per se, but I thank you for your advice and I will work on my Marauder!
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by MicahZerrshia View Post
    wait what? Oo

this post makes 0 sense and sounds like the op is just trying to start a flame war
    Absolutely not my intention. It was just something that popped up that would had been a feature I'd appreciated under the set circumstances.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Geesus View Post
    They had a system "sort of" in XI that allowed you to in the case with friends where you could lvl synch. I DO however get ur point about farming. What you can really only do is lvl 1 job to 50 and use IT to farm with. U'll kill low lvl mobs instantly and you know you should be able to do better drop higher mobs easily without feeling like ur wasting time.

Hope that made sense?
    Yes. It made very much sense. I'm an old FFXI fox too, and frankly do miss the level sync, albeit it's not gamebreaking at all if they don't implement it. The thing about lvling up a lvl 50 solely for farming would be that then I indeed would way pass the lvl of the gear I am aiming to actually craft with the items I am farming to make for this set level with that job. So it's kind of a vicious circle in a way. :x
    ---

This is of course a suggestion based on a subjective experience of a feature I'd appreciate, and is by no mean meant as anything but that. I do recognize that leveling a character to 50 for farming will make me able to farm without gaining xp, however, then the same eery situation will happen. That you will outlevel your crafter while farming for the materials you need him to use in order to craft you the gear you need now, and not after you've leveled away from it (if it makes any sense). And you will not be able to keep up the crafting of gear for that farming job going for lvl 50.

Yes, materials can be Bought from the market in order to avoid outleveling what you are attempting to craft, and that's what I thought people would react most strongly about since it could lead to less incentives to use the market. On the other hand, the fact all crafts and gathering professions are available to everyone, surely the market and economy is driven mostly out of being a shortcut, and not a necessity? Why else allow us to use all crafts, all gatherers, allowing us to be (theoretically) entirely self-sustainable on a single toon? Also worth pointing out is that maybe not all the materials you need are available on the market, forcing you to farm, in which you will outlevel your crafters ability to serve that job with gear.

Worth noting, this is indeed nitpicking from my part. The only real intention for me posting this suggestion is that I think it would provide an easier way to keep your crafters and fighters more in-sync with each other, making it easier to keep your gear up-to-date.
    (0)