Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    There is also an ancient Crystal of Light that Matoya owns from a past Umbral Era (the one Krile used to track down Y'shtola in the Lifestream), which is particularly potent (due to apparently being more 'pure') - unlike our own Crystals, this one seems to be completely physical rather than more aetheric like the ones possessed by the Warrior of Light, which probably explains it's purity.

Also, whatever became of that synthetic Crystal of Darkness manufactured by the Students of Baldesion that Minfilia made such a big deal about explaining just prior to Operation Archon? (the one she planned to use to free Thancred from Lahabrea's thralldom? - Lahabrea was directly driven out of Thancred's body in the Lifestream by Hydaelyn Herself so it made that whole thing nothing more than a red herring at best). I presume given what it was planned to be used for it probably is quite potent aether wise.
    (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rannie View Post
    Aaaaannnd now I just had a mental image of Lahabrea walking into a store called Bodies R Us and trying on different humans.... >.<

Lahabrea: hn too tall... tooo short.... Juuuuuust right.
    Venat was right.

Player
    Character
    Autumn Vale
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    Did she plan to use the synthetic Crystal of Darkness? I thought it was just a prop and visual aid to show us what they're supposed to look like, and maybe work like to a lesser extent.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Re-reading dialogue for that scene in question (via screenshots) she stated pretty clearly that it was key to forcing "Lahabrea to relinquish control of Thancred" (paraphrased) but exactly how it would do so was unclear, presumably using the aether in it to overwhelm Lahabrea's own actual Crystal of Darkness that he used to bind his will to Thancred's body and thus destroy the crystal (causing Lahabrea to be expelled from Thancred).

However, that never happened, as after the Ultima Weapon/Lahabrea fight, Hydaelyn draws both Lahabrea-in-Thancred's meatsuit and the player's character to Her, and the player evokes the Blade of Light to firstly force Lahabrea out of Thancred, when he's then dispatched by Hydaelyn evoking the collective will of not only the player's character but their allies as well which drives Lahabrea away (and ultimately destroys the Crystal of Darkness wrapped around Thancred's neck. At no time is the synthetic crystal ever shown and was never mentioned again.

So it's most likely something that was intended to be used but never was due to other means becoming available that were used, or at worst just a red herring.

Either way, this is the dialogue Minfilia mentioned about the synthetic Crystal of Darkness:

Quote Originally Posted by ARR main scenario quest 'The Black Wolf's Ultimatum'
    Minfilia: "Thancred's fate weighs heavily on my mind. I cannot bear to think of him in thrall to an Ascian."
    Minfilia: "Mayhap you know this already, but the Ascians are immortal beings without physical form. Since time immemorial they have fanned the flames of chaos from the shadows."
    Minfilia: "That they might work unseen, the Ascians entrap and possess mortal men by means of malign artifacts known as Crystals of Darkness."
    Minfilia: "One such Crystal may yet be the key to saving Thancred."
    (She pulls out a purple synthetic crystal, resembling a solid lightning crystal)
    Alphinaud: "This is a Crystal of Darkness?"
    Minfilia: "A mere replica, created using data obtained from anomalous crystals found across Eorzea."
    Minfilia: "It comes to us courtesy of the Students of Baldesion, our distant allies."
    Minfilia: "Even for an Archon, Thancred's talents are exceptional. We all had complete confidence in him."
    Minfilia: "It was for this reason that none among us foresaw the danger in sending him to investigate the Ascians alone."
    Papalymo: "Thancred had been striving to fill the void left by Louisoix. Yet it was plain he was overtaxing himself."
    Yda: "Yeah... He would volunteer for everything and work til he was dizzy."
    Alphinaud (thoughtfully): "And the toll taken by his exertions made him vulnerable to Ascian influence..."
    Minfilia: "The Crystal that binds Thancred must be somewhere on his person. If we could but destroy it, his Ascian possessor would be compelled to relinquish control over him."
    (0)
    Last edited by Enkidoh; 03-08-2018 at 09:58 PM.

Player
    Character
    Aurora Vlondett
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    I feel like, reading that, she wasn't saying the synthetic one was the key, but an example of what they needed to find on Thancred to free him. I am now imagining the WoL having to strip-search an unconscious Thancred to find it now, thanks. =P
    (1)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2