Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Sod Ransom
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 70

Do 1 hour abilities have a place in ARR?

As the title says, do you guys think 1 hour abilities have a place in ARR? I kind of miss them tbh. It's fun having that super awesome (if they make it that way) ability that you have to use sparingly that can save you from a tight situation.
    (2)

http://chaostheoryffxiv.enjin.com

Player
    Character
    Kuro L'anzce
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Not sure but we kind of have that 15 minute skills
    (0)

Player
    Character
    J'hyan Tia
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    I do miss XI's 2-hour abilities, however the battle mechanics in that game (e.g. length of time to subdue a single, xp-granting mob) are a great deal slower than XIV's, where decisions on what WS/ability to use weighed much more heavily on the fight's outcome than what we had in both 1.0 and what we've seen of 2.0. (Even more so in this regard, from what we've seen so far in Alpha footage.)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Siorai Aduaidh
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsy View Post
    I do miss XI's 2-hour abilities, however the battle mechanics in that game (e.g. length of time to subdue a single, xp-granting mob) are a great deal slower than XIV's, where decisions on what WS/ability to use weighed much more heavily on the fight's outcome than what we had in both 1.0 and what we've seen of 2.0. (Even more so in this regard, from what we've seen so far in Alpha footage.)
    Those FFXI abilities have a 1-hour cooldown now.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    J'hyan Tia
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    That's nice. My point remains.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Quesse Mithril
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 70
    1 hour abilities in ffxiv would seem really out of place. Its a much more fast paced game - even 15 minutes seems too long. 10 would be better.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantetsuken View Post
    Those FFXI abilities have a 1-hour cooldown now.
    From what I understand, the original 2 hour abilities were reduced to 1 hour because SE are planning on adding a new set of 2 hour abilities for each Job in FFXI, thus the old ones were downgraded in a sense in preparation for this.

As 2 hour abilities in FFXI traditionally were kept in reserve 'for emergencies', and not just because of their long recast, but also because many were extreme hate magnets (PLD's Invincible and WHM's Benediction to name the two worst offenders), if they were approached in the same way in FFXIV they could work as Job only abilities.

But as has been said, 2 hour cooldowns are a bit extreme for FFXIV's more faster-paced battle system, so a much reduced cooldown would be necessary (say, half an hour or something). That way it stops abuse if it was even less but still keeps it in reserve as a 'emergency/get out of jail free card'.

Irony is, a number of Job-only abilities in FFXIV were originally 2 hour abilities in FFXI .
    (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rannie View Post
    Aaaaannnd now I just had a mental image of Lahabrea walking into a store called Bodies R Us and trying on different humans.... >.<

Lahabrea: hn too tall... tooo short.... Juuuuuust right.
    Venat was right.

Player
    Character
    Reika Shadowheart
    World
    Durandal
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 80
    ARR combat is too much faster than XI combat to have 1hr cooldown abilities. Hell 1.0 combat was too much faster than XI combat for 1hrs. If the 1.0 15m abilities arent still 15min, they'll be shorter cooldown, not longer.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Max Wind
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 55
    It's been said before but we don't really need 1 hour buffs especially since this is fast paced game and we get full party and light party buffs...
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Linkci Lunarpaw
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    I don't understand the whole combat is "to fast" argument for 1hr/2hr abilities?

To me it should work just the same as it did in XI, they were abilities that you held on to for that emergency we are almost dead or finishing blow to the battle target. Why could you not do this in FFXIV? It would be used for the very same purpose.

Are people so worried about people not knowing when to use the abilities at the right time that it will cause a party wipe because of them?

I mean people need to learn how to use their class/job. But epic fancy movies. (yeah I intended to say moves, but spelt movies but left it because it actually kinda applies!)

I say movies, because powerful abilities that triggers cutscenes were the best part of Final Fantasy series. I know it's pretty hard to get a party to sit still to watch a CS for a combat action when it's not single player. But that doesn't change the fact that it is not FF to have such abilities with CS's.

While, CS may be a bit much for a 2hr ability it's really my way of emphasizing that the 1hr/2hr abilities need to be EPIC!
    (1)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast