Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12
    Player
    Character
    Grimoire Mogri
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 90
    We don't need more customization in our classes as much as we simply need more dynamics added to them and quality of life overall. And what I mean by that is to strip some of the rigidity in the current rotations away to make them more flexible. Some good examples of this are the slow, long combos of Dragoon needing more breakpoints, the positionals and stances of Monk needing more flexibility and the sheer lack of interaction between the disparate parts of their kit needing to be addressed, the Heat generation and Wildfire/Overheat mechanics alongside all the unnecessary feeling buttons in Machinist's kit gating it from the majority of players simply because of how much of a clunky mess it is, and the aetherflow lockouts on Summoner that forced it to be a phase based class instead of building on the rotation players adopted in Heavensward that inherently had more flexibility. These need to be altered (or in the case of Summoner, removed) to be more accommodating, but still matter.

BLM and SAM are probably the most balanced in this regard. BLM has more than enough cooldowns to help with their turret gameplay, and really only needs one tweak to make Thundercloud more appealing to use during their Astral Fire period, while SAM could see the positionals on their weaponskills removed in exchange for generating more Kenki if a weaponskill got a direct hit or something similar and not suffer whatsoever for it.

The tanks and healers also need to evolve, but that requires SE's raid design to evolve with it. They need to take more risks again, and reflect how players actually play their game and the meta perception that creates, not how their isolated testing goes.
    (0)
    Petition Thread for "Playable Loporrits": https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/436512-Make-them-Playable-You-Cowards
    Are You Happy with the Endwalker Healer Reveal? - Poll: https://strawpoll.vote/polls/2e6mxhnx/vote - Thread: https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/443437-Poll-Are-You-Happy-with-the-Healer-Kit-Reveal-for-Endwalker

Mechanics are Aesthetics. Graphics don't make interesting gameplay.

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumadurin View Post
    I genuinely think this is the way to go. Because frankly we're at about the limit for the number of things one can be expected to manage. Even WoW stops forcing new skills upon you after level 90 or so.
    Maybe Paladin could opt into stronger heals. Easing the load on the healers and freeing them to do more damage.
    Maybe MCH could opt into stat-boosting darts that it could fire at teammates.
    Maybe Samurai could opt into having to land frontal-positionals (high risk due to cleaves, but also high reward).

The key word here is opt. Modify/enhance existing abilities rather than just add more meat to rotations.
    Further Devil's Advocate:

1. Are we truly at the limit for the number of things one can be expected to manage, or just nearing excessive button counts? There's a large difference between the amount of things we need actually track, calculate, or make decisions upon and the number of keys required to perform or maintain a mostly thought-free action or state, respectively.

2. WoW has received severe criticism for introducing few new skills over the last 3 expansions and for having fewer actions available to each spec than it had 5 expansions ago. The feedback towards the 90-120 leveling experience is much like that of the 1-30 gameplay experience here, trading just a bit of the "not enough here" for "nothing new" and the "when will it get going?" for "wait... that's it?"

3. Ultimately, any variation is simply going to be treated as another job. Either it will be strong, complimentary enough with/to the strongest to be meta-appropriate, or it will be inferior.

Historically, very few players participate meaningfully in choice-making; far more feel that their choices are made for them, and that the majority of choices are non-choices in the context of any particular encounter or meta, largely because though the setting adjusts -- changing what is optimal with each adjustment -- the bank of options doesn't change with it. Choices are more often felt in-play in the context of the salient, oft-disused components of a job (e.g. NIN's front-positional burst-over-indirect-damage Sneak Attack, use or neglect of Fracture), than via menus. Choices generated through style of play and one's understanding of the situation's needs, rather than out-of-game menu selections, also allow for a greater sense of progression in a given class, spec, or job, so long as the sometimes disused skills are part of optimal play, but are difficult to make a net gain until well understood in the context of the fight, its timings, and one's composition.

4. We already opt for our jobs. We don't have to play new ones. But when on the wrong end of patch balance, swapping doesn't feel especially optional. Because swapping is considered more convenient and accessible than on, say, WoW, being of the "wrong" job is proportionately more frowned upon. When another option requires only a menu selection to recover from, then, it seems safe to say there will be even less understanding afforded players, given the same performance gap as playing an "inferior" job.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphor View Post
    It is a good idea, but how could it be implemented for each class?

BLM: maybe being able to spec between Thunder, Ice and Fire, being able to increase the potencies of only one within each tier. (You actually could be an 'ice mage', your rotation probably wouldn't really change, except more of your damage would come from your blizzard spells than a 'fire mage')
    In the same vein, what's there to prevent Fire from being the go-to choice for every <Fire> sort of fight, Ice for <Ice> fights, and Thunder for <Thunder> styles of fights? Or, what if they are actually close enough that the optimal would dip between the choices based on the execution of the particular attempt/run of the fight, but you're unable to adapt with it because the choice is assigned to an out-of-gameplay menu instead of, say, Enochian?

<That's as much Devil's Advocate as I can do for now, given that I actually love customization and am just still trying to figure out its potential issues for myself.>
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Prince Nuada
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 70
    Personally, I have quite a few regarding various aspects of gameplay. First up, Lorewise:

For the empire to fully exhibit a visual show of imperial might… something powerfully scenic like a vast number of their armadas and ships in the skies; then showing them performing something truly devastating that makes the WoL and the Eorzian Alliance shocked to their very core.

To be honest, we have not yet seen the full might of the Garlean Empire and there are quite a few of us who have been mentioning it for a while on the lore forums. Largest imperial force we have had to face was at Carteneau and that was just one consolidated legion. And the only time I have raised my eyebrows in surprise at a hint of their might was when the Gration appeared in Heavensward.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Arlo Nine-tails
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Here's an input:

01) Make the UI even more flexible: let us move HP/MP/TP bars separately... let us make a narrower target's health bar. Let us have the option to diplay our buffs 1st on the party frames and let us have the option to change the width of those bars, and even... having the option to only display MP or TP bar according to the job. I'd love to have a more compact party list, but it's simply not possible with the amount of stuff there. Honestly who wants to track a MCH's MP?

02) Revamp the "role action" system. It works... but it's a bit meaningless. As of now, there are many useless skills there and honestly the few ones that are vital could just be baked in the job's actions. Give us back a revisited cross-class systems, allowing us to have again basic skills from other classes (not jobs) for situational / solo utility.

03) Make the glamour dresser a thing that can store all appearances from our items. 200 limit is really nothing for a completionist. Let the armoire appearances be account-wide!

04) Create armor with 2 dye channels! Sometimes it's really underwhelming when you're trying to make a set colorful to find that only a tiny spot of the item is dyeable. Or in opposite, everything is washed in the color to the point that sometimes the original item is more interesting. I know it would be a huge undertaking to change armor retroactively to add that, but at least add for new ones.

05) I won't advocate for additional character "sliders" because that would require a lot of effort... but instead give us many more face options. Honestly, a race having just FOUR faces is really limited, especially in this game where you are constantly staring at our character's details. Make height slider a bit more intense (right now isn't that much noticeable). Also add more facial feature options and let us stack 2 or 3 face paints.

06) Let us change the nameplate font size! Oh gosh, I actually have to turn off the friendly nameplates because sometimes it's too cluttered on the screen
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandor View Post
    I'd like to see plane shifting, we know there are other reflections of Hydaelyn out there, it would be cool if we somehow got to visit some of them.
    Come to think of it, wasn't this suggestion made well before we knew what ShB would be about?

Them's some foresight, Jandor.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Tal Young
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Shurrikhan View Post
    Come to think of it, wasn't this suggestion made well before we knew what ShB would be about?

Them's some foresight, Jandor.
    Well, I was thinking more like the next deep dungeon or Eureka, something like that. A whole expansion focus is cool too though
    (1)
    Last edited by Jandor; 05-21-2019 at 06:49 PM.

Player
    Character
    Jenity Dionysus
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Yzuna View Post
    I'd like them to rework the combat system. So it's less about rotation, and more about teamplay.
    Whether it's group chain attack, party buff, situationnal buff...but enough about the mindless rotation.

I'd like the combat system to be more "if X them Y". React to what the mob is doing, react to what your party members are doing.
    I find it more interesting than "first X then Y" rotations.

Also, more boss where you can't see casting bar and need to react to what you see or hear. If possible, for some, less predictable rotation and more random TP move.

For features, i'd like for them to do something with the guildleves system (think ENM/Assault from FFXI). Hard content for 4/8 members, with specifics conditions tied to winning, bonuses unlocked depending on how you do it (times/members paths etc.). Guildleves was fun at the beginning, I don't know why they didn't follow-up on those. Specially since it's quite cheap to make, they can re-use most of the asset they have.

More condition to win PoTD/HoH. Like kill a single mini boss, avoid mobs, activate something, solve mini puzzle...add a little variety to the system.

Worldquests to unlock big new content (new area/boss etc). Think WoW AQ quests for instance. It might not be the best content, it can be grindy, but you get a great sense of achievement as a community, and I think it's never a bad thing.

Try to develop, as least once, a huge, hard donjon (instanced or not). designed for 4 or 8, with multiple paths, optionnal/secret boss, roaming patrols of trash, where mobs can link add etc., and quests tied to it. (like EQ2 donjons, or Blackrock Depths from WoW vanilla) You could go to clear only a few boss, go specifically for a quest, or to clear it all)
    If people like it, great, you can make more of those, if not, well then at least they'll have tried. But I'm pretty sure it can be a huge success.

But more than anything, please, please SE, stop making content revolving on FATE train grind. One boss FATE here, one boss FATE there, sure, why not. but the huge part of content tied to it is too much.
    All of this would breathe a much needed breath of fresh air to the mundane content cycle we've had going for the last couple of expansions.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Arlo Nine-tails
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Heya, I'm back after a while away

So, they are indeed removing TP, which will declutter the party frames a bit, that's nice! I'm hyped to see the actual UI improvements because apparently there's more than what was shown.

I'd really love if the enemy HP bar had a more compact version so it could fit more UI setups. I really think the long one has visibility problems.

Also, I'd love if we had some sort of "proc interface" to put somewhere visible.

A small change I'm hoping it's in the live ShB is the option to stop auto scrolling text when you're trying to browse old messages. It's extremely annoying to do this in busy places.

Another minor thing is player chat bubbles. For example, with me as a healer I always have to keep my eyes glue on the center of the screen to know hat to avoid, and to the hp bars... Sometimes people type important stuff in party chat and I miss it. With bubbles, we could spot messages in our field of view.

I'm sad that they didn't announce a visual library system for the glamour cabinet. Something that would at the cost of a glam prism, save the appearance from an item. I don't know if it's not done yet because their code doesn't support it, but even with 400 slots, it's still clunky.

Also I'm happy for the MCH changes! At least thematically, I was always in the MCH threads suggesting that the expansion changes (long before it was announced) could ditch all that stuff and turn MCH into an actual machine tinker, using Edgar as inspiration... And I couldn't believe when I saw that we get almost all of his Tools as abilities! The only one missing is the chainsaw.
    (0)

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12