Player
    Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by FJerome View Post
    FFXV's Gilgamesh is one of those characters where they just named him "Gilgamesh" because every FF has to have a Gilgamesh, but he's a dark-and-grim man with a Mysterious Tragic Backstory(TM) and trying to make it fit so he's the same guy as Greg is a bit brain-breaking.
    In XI he was just the Samurai job quest NPC dude with minor storyline importance.

(2)

Player
    Character
    Diantha Sunstone
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 70
    Greg is a bit different since we KNOW it's the same Gilgamesh in most games... but SE sometimes forgets and pulls a Cid instead.

I think Midgardsormr has the same issue since the name's attached at random to an early, snake-like boss in FFVII. It's more Cid than Greg, but with FFXIV's Middy being a character of extreme importance.

Omega's also been shown to be at odds with Shinryu as a themetic detail in other FF's, and we have hard evidence that the old versions of Shinryu are a totally different one from Ilberd's. The name Shinryu was given as the Domans have their own legend regarding a super powerful and evil dragon, and they remarked the primal as resembling such since they had not witnessed Bahamut's calamity. The alliance adopted the name for clarity's sake. It is an in universe fairy tail, though we don't know if the Shinryu Domans speak of is related to another dimension hopping dragon.

That said, I don't think the relation is direct at all, and it's the same as with old summons being primals. Omega is just like that in that he has design details that have been pretty consistent. Like Shiva and bikinis.
    (0)
    Last edited by Ametrine; 03-10-2018 at 11:47 PM.

Player
    Character
    Leowald Chestwood
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    FF's are not connected and are not part of the same Universe.
    FF world work more like parallel universes where similar things happen and similar entities exist. They are very similar but not quite the same.
    Like Cid for example. He is always the tech engineer guy associated with machines and flying ships.
    So please stop connecting them. The only things that may be exactly the same and traverse through the universes are things SE made canon like the Lightning event where the same hero from XIII traversed through universes to our world.
    Omega could be the same Omega as XV but could be not. SE didn't clarify this so it's not canon.
    Midgarsomr nope. I killed that guy in XV so he can't be. Plus he was way smaller and not scetient.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Dia Lancea
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    One one hand...

On the other hand, I understand that people sometimes need the devs to reaffirm these things. Sometimes, when new content is released, things change. Perspective evolves. I've yet to see cause to believe that things have changed on this front, but I've been wrong before. And I can't count how many times people have needed their confidence restored that the time bubble didn't burst, sight unseen, between patches somewhere.

So in terms of, "I'd like to hear it from the devs again." Eh, that's fair.

Even I'm just an archivist. :P
    While it is true they're different dimensions
    FFXV Omega spoilers
    Omega literally comes into Insomnia straight through the Interdimension Rift, also, I can't help but notice his look is very similar to how he looks in XIV, but with a few upgrades, Gladio remarks that Omega has been mentioned in the history of Eos, but he could be simply repeating what he did on Hydaelyn. This Omega looks like he's the same one, but perhaps upgraded following its predicted battle with the Warrior of Light (since I don't think we will destroy Omega)

Comparison pictures

(0)
    Last edited by Chewy2nd; 03-12-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Player
    Character
    P'liko Cuga
    World
    Sophia
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Riardon View Post
    So please stop connecting them. The only things that may be exactly the same and traverse through the universes are things SE made canon like the Lightning event where the same hero from XIII traversed through universes to our world.
    I'm still not entirely certain why the FFVI versions of Mina and Shun bothered to thank us for Doma after Sigmascape 1.0 Normal.

Or if Dissidia star Y'shtola recognizing the Wind-Up Kefka as "eerily familiar" means anything.

I do agree that for most purposes, FFXIV is its own separate setting, unrelated to the others. But then there are all these little references and shout-outs that keep happening, so I never know whether to take them seriously, or just wave them off as "localization being silly again, ignore".
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Dia Lancea
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 80
    There's always been hints to other Final Fantasy titles in every game. The developers always leave it up to the fans to decide what it means. I don't think we'd ever get confirmation that XV's Omega is the same one from XIV. It would ruin the mystique.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Romilda Rayne
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 75
    Worth noting that FFVII and FFX actually do canonically share a universe.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    And in the best way! (With the explicit opting-in of the creators.)

(2)
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Mutekimaru Godhand
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 90
    That midgarsormr in XV is not the same as in XIV. He's just a regular giant serpent beast like in VII. Interestingly, Midgardsormr's backstory with Omega in XIV strongly resembles the story of Omega and Shinryu in FFV. It is very likely that he is the source of the original Shinryu myth in Doma.

There are many different Omegas. Most of them are capable of interdimensional travel and many of them may or may not be the same entity.

- There was one built by the Lufenians in the world of FFI and is in Dissidia. This one was apparently defeated and sealed by Chaos along with the Summons.

- There's Omega in FFV, who came from a different planet and arrived chasing Shinryu. Even the 12 legendary weapons were powerless against the two of them and they were shut in the Rift. This may be the same one from Dissidia.

- There's Omega Mk II in the FFV remakes. This is probably a different being since the same party also encountered the other one, though it's possible he simply repaired and upgraded himself, as he said he likes to do in XIV.

- There's Omega in XIII-2, who is simply an interdimensional machine summoned to the arena by Valfodr. He is also likely the same being.

- There's Omega in XV. A Niflheim scientist discovered him and concluded he was a machine created by ancient Solheim to battle The Six. He also tinkered with it and added some Niflheim tech, which is why the weaponry looks odd. It should be noted that this being a creation of Solheim is merely the assumption of the Niflheim scientist. It possesses the same interdimensional abilities and look of the usual Omega. Remember that in XIV Omega was originally assumed to be of Allag origin.

- Omega Mk XII in not the reoccurring Omega. He is a mimic created by the man who invented mimics in Ivalice. His strongest creation escaped, absorbed a bunch of mist, and got stronger. While extremely powerful, it has displayed no interdimensional abilities.

- There's also an Omega in XI. A somewhat unimpressive Zilartian (Jeunan?) battle bot. Not the same being.

Gilgamesh is the same character in most of his appearances. He looks and acts the same, travels dimensions, and regularly mentions Bartz by name. There are a few exceptions where it's just the name. FFXI's and FFXV's Gilgamesh are clearly different people. They look nothing alike and have their own histories with no indication they'd ever become anything else.

Type-0's is a bit iffier. He's a much more serious character but physically resembles the usual Gilgamesh. He has quite a traumatizing life. Lost all of his people and his best friend Enkidu, then ends up in the Rift. Seems like a pretty easy segue to say he loses his marbles and becomes the Gilgamesh we all know and love. This is not confirmed though.

Shinryu comparatively has very few appearances. Most of his homages are different characters like Yiazmat. On the whole he usually has little to no story too. He really only has lore in Dissidia, which paints him as the same dragon from FFV who fought with Omega. Omega has a thing for fighting dragons in general.

It is fact that there is a shared FF multiverse/universe connected by the Rift/space. There are several spinoff games where this is the focus of the story. In the main games, this never has any significance beyond cameos and some optional superboss lore though. All officially published media in the series is canon unless stated otherwise by an official source. It doesn't exactly contradict anything so I don't see what the problem is.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by RomildaRayne View Post
    Worth noting that FFVII and FFX actually do canonically share a universe.
    I'd take that with one very big grain of salt though, as it's never been explicitly mentioned anywhere in the actual FFVII Compilation titles at all that it shares it's universe with FFX (in fact, the whole reason this idea is even considered was comments made by Shinra in FFX-2 about 'massive energy' inside Spira that could be potentially used as a power source), and Kitase and Nojima's tongue-in-cheek 'clarification' about it, showing that even they don't really take the concept that seriously (and seem to be amused at those who actually do - Shinra's comments were just a fanservice reference to FFVII without directly connecting FFX to it, just like here in FFXIV with things like the Crystal Tower and even the Ivalice raid, it was fanservice, nothing deeper).

Besides, despite the above vague FFX-2 reference to Mako energy, Spira and the Planet have entirely different metaphysical frameworks: if FFVII really was in FFX's universe, then why don't the dead require sending in FFVII for instance? Or why isn't there materia found in FFX? The two worlds are simply too different to logically exist in the same universe running under the same rules. Thus I'm taking Kitase and Nojima's comments as tongue-in-cheek at best and retconning at worst. But I digress...
    (4)
    Last edited by Enkidoh; 03-27-2018 at 05:17 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast