Player
    Character
    Selina Maimhov
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 70

Better tooltip stat breakdown

Maybe this has been brought up before, but I would love for some of the tooltips to provide more information in a simple breakdown. Stuff like the critical hit stat giving you a percentage you are at, or vitality telling you how much health you are getting from the stat. Even more I feel you should see this show up when materia melding so you can see how much that +40 is actually going to affect your build.

I like spreadsheets and complicated math as much as the next girl, but I would rather not be doing it in my hobby and fun time. Am I alone in this?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Cyrillo Rongway
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    There are plenty of people who agree with you, but in the end, "better" here is subjective. The idea that the player should be told exactly how much every point of anything affects whatever is a recent invention. The implicit nature of stats and their effects is just a part of the game, and whether or not each particular player wants to discover their meaning for himself or would rather let someone else do the maths, this seems to be the route that devs are taking. As soon as they said "here are the damage formulas", they would be in effect saying, "here are the exact pieces of gear every single person should be wearing," and then those pieces would become mandatory wear.

It is enough for us to know, "StatX affects this, this, and this, while StatY affects that, that, and that." In the end, the exact formulas will only make a difference for a few tens or a couple hundreds of people.
    (0)
    Last edited by Rongway; 02-13-2018 at 02:13 PM.
    Error 3102 Club, Order of the 52nd Hour

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    I just want (1) an extra decimal place to actually be read (even if invisible to me in my character pane or on tooltips) so that my GCD, etc., isn't jumping in chunks as SkS or the like increase, (2) for Crit and DHit to show their actual % chances, and (3) to see Spell Speed and Skill Speed combined into just "Speed", to be fair to hybrids like PLD and DRK and reduce bloat from the character pane.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Selina Maimhov
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Rongway View Post
    ... As soon as they said "here are the damage formulas", they would be in effect saying, "here are the exact pieces of gear every single person should be wearing," and then those pieces would become mandatory wear.
    I might be more inclined to agree except for two reasons. One being that the stat layout changes every tier, so as you move up if you were trying to min max it would take the same effort if you knew stat effects or not to stay min-maxed. The second is that the hardest game, Dark Souls, which is very much stat driven still tells you every effect stat points will have on your character. Knowing stats actually helps build diversity in that people are more inclined to try new things. Keep people in the dark and they will only use what work, which might not even work best for them or their class.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Avellin Adorel
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 90
    Hell, I would be happy with the game just showing the TT of what you currently have equipped next to the TT of the item you're looking at. A side by side deal.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Cyrillo Rongway
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Krojack View Post
    Hell, I would be happy with the game just showing the TT of what you currently have equipped next to the TT of the item you're looking at. A side by side deal.
    (Yes, please.) Item comparison is cumbersome. Just display both by default.
    (0)
    Error 3102 Club, Order of the 52nd Hour