Player
    Character
    Lace Valeria
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 80

Gunblader: Melee w/ Ranged Abilities (NIN) or Ranged w/ Melee Abilities (RDM)

Enamored with the idea of an FFXIV job that uses both a sword and gun, I remembered gunblades ARE a thing in the world of XIV. If the day ever comes that we learn the art, what would you prefer it were?

A sword-based melee with ranged shot skills, somewhat like Ninja? Or perhaps a gun-based ranged who can use close ranged sword skills, somewhat like Red Mage? Full ranged? Full melee?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lodestone Bait
    World
    Pandaemonium
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 1
    If I were to design such a job, I'd try to achieve an even mix between the two, erring on the side of melee in cases of doubt. Red Mage failed to deliver a proper hybrid experience, so that niché is still open.

You'd probably have to work with ranged modifiers and sweet spots there (not dissimilar to positionals), maybe minimum/maximum range if you want to be more restrictive.
    Or you can use the tried and true melee DPS concept and have them alternate between two combos, one melee ending with a jump, one ranged ending with a gap closer. Not my favourite solution, because the gameplay isn't particularly novel, but it fits the existing melee DPS design paradigm. Mobility would definitely be a must.

In other games, you could work with situational skills for each set, but in this game, that's unfortunately not much of an option. Either way, getting it right to fulfill both fantasies, those of the sword "and" gun, is quite challenging and I'd wager if SE were to design such a job, it would be either a ranged with a melee gimmick or a melee with a ranged gimmick.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lace Valeria
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 80
    I was thinking something similar to having like a "ranged" combo and a "melee" one (or two), but the ranged modifiers is an interesting idea I would love to see explored. Unfortunately, that would force changes to content to accomodate such a thing (or at least keep it in consideration), and I don't think SE would be up to that challenge.

In the end a gimmick approach would probably be what's expected.

Oh, but what if specific shots were openers/primers for combos or offered combat utilities (since god forbid such a job have no utility)? And while I dream of a job that could be a proper debuffer, that would unfortunately guarantee it a spot in parties, and they're actively trying to avoid that.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Pastahnak Popotonak
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 80
    I'd like to see it as a melee that when u have to step away from bosses has an ample amount of ranged attacks to continue it's damage.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Lucke Arrayo
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 80
    Antithesis to RDM. RDM spends most of it's time at range, gets mana, then charges into melee for a combo. GBL (or whatever acronym) spends most time in melee getting whatever their job energy is, then jumps back for a high dmg ranged combo. Mediocre melee dmg to build up energy, then high dmg ranged attacks that spend said energy. Think XIII Lightning.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Jace Ossura
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    Primary melee weaponskills combined with Ranged Abilities that change dynamically based on your distance to the enemy. Throw in some distance controllers via gap closers and gap makers and you'd have a frantic and fast class.

Ability Examples
    Shotgun: Deals Damage of X (for example 100) to all enemy targets when distance is greater than 10y. Deals damage of Y (example: 260) when distance to the enemy target is less than 10y.
    Velocity: Slow moving projectile. Deals 100 potency to the target enemy. Travels X yalms / second, gaining potency up to a maximum 360.

Weaponskill examples
    Bullet Drive: A GCD gap closer. Deals minor damage and another effect based on whatever this job's special mechanic is.
    Explosive Egress: A GCD gap maker. Deals minor damage and another effect based on whatever this job's special mechanic is.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Rinoa Leonheartilly
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    Ahhh, this class is such a dream to me...
    But that as it may, we have way too many dps classes as is. Gnb would have to be a tank I'd think..but really don't think it fits that role. I see it being dps. /shrug
    (0)

if you're a fan of /gpose check out our Discord https://discord.gg/KsQKvKq

Player
    Character
    Winter Sandman
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    If you have Dancer as a healer and Gunblade as a DPS. Then could easily shape up a Tank.

I am guessing you would make it agility based? We basically have the perfect system right now and where only 3 jobs are competing for right side.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdChild_ZKI View Post
    Enamored with the idea of an FFXIV job that uses both a sword and gun, I remembered gunblades ARE a thing in the world of XIV. If the day ever comes that we learn the art, what would you prefer it were?

A sword-based melee with ranged shot skills, somewhat like Ninja? Or perhaps a gun-based ranged who can use close ranged sword skills, somewhat like Red Mage? Full ranged? Full melee?
    Optimal play to either priority 15/85 to 35/65, but two different priorities, though with noticeable crossover. Generally melee is the preferred, but ranged can serve as a both an emergency savior and a rotatable support mode. While ranged plays as more of a versatile utility form of offensive support, melee plays more Ninja like, minus the various threat-diversion options -- with more straightforward offensive support.

RDM felt like an utter failure to me in terms of a "hybrid" class, or in effective mechanical depth in general. I'd hope this would be able to remedy that.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nobody Care
    World
    Phantom
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 33
    Probably next expansion if the devs consider this thread.
    (0)