Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Player
    Character
    Master Matsume
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 50
    Raldo You have a wonderful way of misinterpreting what I write and replacing the words I use with the words you think I meant to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    The gear is general-purpose, so it will have a wide array of stats on it. I think you are the only player who has a problem with general-purpose gear, I guess.
    Indeed, you are guessing. And there is no accuracy to this guess. There is a post bellow my OP that also shares my opinion that this appears non sensical.

Furthermore, If these are general purpose gear then why don't the other set of sergeant GC legs and feet have craft/gather stats on them? Because they are clearly meant for battle classes. Not Crafting classes.

Why not make the new set of GC feet and legs crafting stats only? Because you use the magic evasion stats on these for battle right?

Do you get mad every time you see a piece of gear with Control, Output, and Magic Evasion?
    Please, Raldo, don't put words in my mouth. This is the second time you have done so in this thread. This is your eroneous assumption. Not once have I used the word "mad".

I have expressed frustration, indeed, resentment as well. I use the words "disapointed" specifically. Learn to read, for the love of good communication.

Furthermore, who has EVER used fingerless raptorskin gloves for the Magic Evasion??? Do you know anyone that carries around a set of Magic Evasion Gear? Why? Ohhhhh right, because these are "multi-purpose" gears, in your own words, and we all know how usefull magic evasion is, so why even bother using any of these: Mythril Mitt Gauntlets, Cobalt Mitt Gauntlets,Woolen Bracers, Felt Bracers, Serpent Privates Bracers, Serpent Sergeants, Mercenary's Mitts? afterall these clearly are battle oriented and have more magic evasion than the aforementioned Fingerless Raptorskin Gloves.

It's only non-sensical if there's a stat on it that doesn't benefit any of the jobs that can wear it. Sure, you can't benefit from all the stats at once, but lots of other gear does that too.

The Immortal Flames pieces added are more battle-oriented because they already got their general-purpose pieces (see: Flame Sergeant's Crackows, and Flame Sergeant's Sarouel). Did you miss these battle-oriented pieces from the other GCs: Serpent Sergeant's Kecks, Serpent Sergeant's Moccasins, Storm Sergeant's Leggings, and Storm Sergeant's Trousers? Maybe those will placate you.
    Furthermore you have made my point Raldo. Just look at those battle gears... Why would someone opt for one of the new pieces > the ones you linked, which are clearly battle oriented? Huh?! Ohhh because they are crafters? Wow...Why not just make them a crafting set of gear considering there already are battle gears? Oh right, because magic evasion makes them "multi-purpose" in your opinion. Remind me again the purpose of magic evasion?

Saying that something takes too long to obtain is the same as saying it costs to much. The only way to decrease the time it takes to obtain would be to either make it cheaper or make seals easier to get, so no, I wouldn't call it an "ASSumption" to say that you claimed they cost too much, since you said they "take A LOT of time to acquire".
    Quote me Raldo. Where did I say these pieces of gears cost too much or take too long to obtain? I didn't. There you go again, putting words in my mouth. What I said (you even quoted me) is that I (meaning subjective opinion) would not spend my seals on these items because "they take a LOT of time to acquire" and thus I would rather spend the hard earned seals on other GC gear. The gear you mentioned are clearly better battlewise. Now If I wanted these for the crafting stats I would hope they have addiotnal stats that actually help crafters. That is all. Learn to read.

There will be more ranks in the future, I'm sure specialized gear will come with time. Personally, I love this general-purpose gear. It saves me inventory space and having to spend tons of seals.

Also, caravan security is every 15 minutes, not 12, so you can only do 4 per hour.

You are entitled to love whichever gear you so choose, and I understand you for liking them as "general purpose gear", especially if it saves you inventory space and seals. See what I did there? I sympathised with your point of view and took your opinion into consideration. But, I am entitled to my opinion too. And I have yet to see you clearly understand my frustration with this gear. Rather, you attempt to convince me otherwise. I consider this disrespectful. My perspective and point of view is just as valid as yours.

If you so choose to reply to me again. Please avoid putting words in my mouth that I did not use. Also, forgive me for the tone of sarcasm in my post but you are starting to get on my nerves. I would appreciate it.

Thank you very much for spending the time reading this thread.
    (1)
    Last edited by Matsume; 01-21-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Player
    Character
    Raldo Volca
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsume View Post
    Furthermore, If these are general purpose gear then why don't the other set of sergeant GC legs and feet have craft/gather stats on them? Because they are clearly meant for battle classes. Not Crafting classes.
    I might be misunderstanding what you're trying to say here, but here goes anyway... As has already been mentioned twice, the Immortal Flames got battle-oriented legs/feet because they already had crafting/general-purpose legs/feet, and did not have battle-oriented ones. People complained that their GC didn't offer gear with crafting stats like the Immortal Flames did, and thus, these new pieces were added to even things out. They needed to add an equal number of gear to the Immortal Flames, so they gave them battle-oriented legs/feet similar to those that the other GCs already had. These are the Immortal Flames equivalent of the new legs/feet for other GCs: Flame Sergeant's Sarouel and Flame Sergeant's Crackows. Would some gathering stats be nice? Yeah, but for now all they did was look at what stats the gear from other GCs had on it, copy which ones to use, and change up the values of each.

Quote Originally Posted by Matsume View Post
    Why would someone opt for one of the new pieces > the ones you linked, which are clearly battle oriented? Huh?! Ohhh because they are crafters? Wow...Why not just make them a crafting set of gear considering there already are battle gears? Oh right, because magic evasion makes them "multi-purpose" in your opinion. Remind me again the purpose of magic evasion?
    I will personally be using the new Storm Sergeant's Sarouel for both battling (evasion and attack power, yay!) and crafting. Evasion : +18, Attack Power : +11 interests me far more as a melee than HP : +30, Vit : +9, Str : +6. The latter is probably superior for GLD and MRD, but other jobs could make more use out of the former. I could be completely wrong about that; I don't know for sure. Even if the latter is marginally better, I would still choose the former because I can make use of it on more classes.

Magic evasion is for Ifrit. You know those threads about being able to kill Ifrit in santa suits and/or reindeer suits? That's because defense doesn't matter at all (it might for a tank for regular hits, I honestly don't know, but it certainly doesn't for anyone else). That means you should stack up on melee/mage stats and, you guessed it, magic evasion. I personally don't want to dedicate inventory for a magic evasion build, so if those gloves weren't locked to DoH/DoL, I would use them during Ifrit. If you wanted to say those gloves are non-sensical, I would agree with you; DoH/DoL have no use for m.eva. However, if I end up buying the new GC shoes, I will be using them for both crafting and Ifrit. You said so yourself: "Do you know anyone who carries around a m.eva build?" No, I sure don't, but I know a number of people who would use existing gear that they had for other purposes, if it had the stats on it.

Yes, you're entitled to your opinion, but saying things like "this gear is completely non-sensical", when it isn't (in my opinion), seemed to warrant a response, especially since you seemed mad (but apparently aren't) because of the interspersed ALL CAPS words. Personally, I like having discussions with people whose opinions differ from my own; I find replying to this thread more fun that playing the actual game itself because I would be crafting right now, and crafting is boring. I do apologize for my first post, as it was inflammatory, but the other one was me trying to explain my position, as is this one. "Attempting to convince you otherwise" is one of the many purposes of a public forum; if you find that somehow disrespectful, then you probably shouldn't be here.

Yes, you can win your little semantics battle between "A LOT of time" and "too much", but take note that, from the point of view of someone (such as myself) who views these pieces of gear as very valuable and useful, they do indeed mean the same thing.

I hope I have avoided putting words in your mouth this time around, but if I didn't, then I hope they tasted good, at least.
    (0)
    Last edited by Raldo; 01-22-2012 at 04:30 AM.

Player
    Character
    Hope Estheim
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 60
    I wanna argue both sides of this issue.

@Raldo: I understand the OP's point that we'd rather have a dedicated battle OR dedicated craft piece than I combo piece. Raldo, you may be right that cross-class usability is a good reason to choose a piece, but only situationally. First, I would only choose an "all-around" piece if I'd chosen to focus on one or two jobs, but for my other 50s, wanted a piece that would manage when, say, my LS *needs* me to come one of those jobs (though this is less likely in XIV than it was in XI). However, for their main job, I think a lot of us *would* care about that marginal difference. Why settle for second-best? Next, I think I kind of agree with the OP's sentiment that DoL/DoH doesn't make a lot of sense stacked with DoM/DoW like this. If they'd put stats that happened to benefit all classes, that would be much nicer than simply a "Craftmanship/Attack Power/Evasion" piece. Contrary to your proposition of cross-class usability there is no situation where a DoM/DoW would want Craftmanship or Magic Craftmanship, and no situation where a DoH/DoL should want Attack Power, Evasion, or Magic Evasion. I say should specifically because a DoL might happen to aggro, in which case they might want evasion; however, the stat in question is Craftmanship instead of Output, so I think I'm overthinking. Since I want a piece that's usable on many classes, I want a piece that has stats that benefit many classes--not a piece that gives something to this class AND something to that class. Especially because of the long, boring seal gathering these pieces require, I would expect more than a piece I could describe as "a little of this, and a little of that." All-in-all, I think these pieces are all okay--to be honest, I just don't think they need to be U/U. Why do Serpents need more EVA and less attack than Maelstroms? :< Attack and Evasion are both pretty useful to all DoWs, just as an EVA/mEVA earring will probably be fairly useful to a variety. I think the OP's point is just that because these seem so hard to get, they're pretty lame unless we really *wanted* a second-best one-size-fits-all piece, which seems like it should be easier. But I disagree with that point too:

-----------
    @Matsume I want you to think about the nation ranks from XI, if you played it. The later ranks of the game weren't released for quite a while after the (comparably) successful launch. Conquest points were considerably easier to obtain than GC seals, but we can't say for sure whether or not seals'll remain that way. As more content is released, it's very likely that new types of events will provide faster seals. There will also be more ranks, which will likely mean more gear will be released for the higher ranks. This gear will doubtless be better than the six pieces they just released. Again if you can remember XI's conquest system, many of the mid-ranged pieces were mediocre at best, especially compared to dropped or crafted pieces. Of course there were exceptions, just as I'm sure there are pieces of GC gear you will just have to have. If these were "Serpent General's Sarouel" with these stats, I assure you we would all be crying out. They're a disappointment yes, because they're all we've got now. But I assure you, higher-ranked GC pieces will become available, and these will be obsolete in many circumstances. Just because they've released a mediocre set as a reward for a presumably-mid-range rank is no reason to become upset. Just try to figure out the situations where they'd be useful--like Raldo.

To be fair, I don't know how much stats (like STR) play into crafting, because I am not a big fan of DoHs. So it may be worth it to sacrifice the 15 Craftmanship on these sarouel for 10 Craftmanship and some Strength, or something--Woolen Slops of Strength have 10 Craftmanship (and Output) and 4 Strength, and are meldable. But to me, it looks like if you're not comfortable risking gear on melds or don't want to spend your life savings on a set for a non-main class, the sarouel would be a gil-free alternative to a pimped out, melded piece. I've already written a nice wall of text here, so I'm just going to assume the Crackows are the same way and move along~~
    (0)
    Last edited by Mychael; 01-24-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2