Player
    Character
    Song Sparrow
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90

Nald'thal's/Nophica's Counsel tooltips

I don't know if this is old news, or me misunderstanding the tooltip, or an actual error, but I noticed an oddity yesterday while gathering.

The tooltips for Nald'thal's/Nophica's Counsel say that they cannot be used with any action that increases chance of obtaining an HQ item. I was at a node that had a base 13% HQ chance. I used Unearth and it went up to 23%. I used Nald'thal's Counsel and was given an ultimate chance to gather HQ of 26%.

So, it seems to me that the tooltip is wrong?
    (0)

cerise leclaire
    (bad omnicrafter & terrible astrologian)

Player
    Character
    Ziggy Zaps
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 70
    Unearth increases your chance WHILE gathering HQ.

Nald'thal's counsel increases your chance OF gathering HQ.

It kinda makes sense if you look at it like that, maybe... idk either way it's very vague. Cool skill though
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Roth Trailfinder
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 90
    I’d have to go back and double check, but I thought it meant that it would not STACK with such effects. Meaning, the highest of the two takes effect.

TC, if you *only* used Nald’thal Councel I think you’d have jumped straight to the 26%, because on that item it was a stronger HQ chance. If your Perception relative to the item gathered was weaker, Unearth may have been stronger, resulting in no gain from the Nald’thal.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Song Sparrow
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    I'm not sure if that's the case as the increase given from Counsel in that particular answer was specifically 3%. I'll have to do some testing though I guess as I could have read it wrong?
    (0)

cerise leclaire

Player
    Character
    Ziggy Zaps
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Roth_Trailfinder View Post
    I’d have to go back and double check, but I thought it meant that it would not STACK with such effects. Meaning, the highest of the two takes effect.
    You can use Nald'thals councel first and then unearth and unearth will always add 10%/30% on top of Nalds bonus. It could be that the client shows the bonus's stacking, but doesn't really consider both when it determines if its hq or not. I had thought Nald'thal didn't stack with prune or dredge and that's why the message was on the tooltip, but I tested that and the client let's them stack too. Now i'm confused as to why the message is there too :/
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Song Sparrow
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    So, I went and double checked on this again today.

First, my HQ chance to gather Alyssum was 15%. I used Leaf Turn, which made it 25%. Then, I used Nophica's Counsel. I was given a 3% boost, with an ultimate final HQ chance of 28%.

Then I flipped it around. 15%, and used Nophica's Counsel, with a 3% boost again, so up to 18%. Then I used Leaf Turn and it went up to 28% again. Then, just to test, I used Prune II and had an ultimate HQ chance of 48%.

And as you can see in the screenshot I have three total buffs to HQ chance, including two limited ones. As to whether the effect was actually there as opposed to just showing the text, I don't know. That 48% chance didn't actually gather HQ (of course). But there's definitely something wrong.

(0)
    Last edited by Elamys; 01-22-2018 at 08:19 AM.

cerise leclaire

Player
    Character
    Roth Trailfinder
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 90
    “Increases the chance of obtaining an HQ item on your next gathering attempt. Increase is random and is only overwritten if the value is higher than the current one. Does not increase chances for items which start at 0%.

Cannot be used with any action that increases chance of obtaining an HQ item.”

Without testing, it looked to me like it would not stack with anything else that affected HQ.
    But given the testing done, I’d say it stacks, isn’t all that random (per the test done by the above poster), and only works on one swing, as opposed to the moves that work on all swings at the current visit at the node.
    (0)