Player
    Character
    Dia Lancea
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 80

Why are the battlefields still burning in the Fringes?

So this is less of a lore thing, but it fits in here better than other forums. I think it seems a bit silly still having the crashed airships and such on fire in the Fringes, its been a few patches and the fire is the sort of thing that can be "phased" out when you finish certain quests, as its not an object in the world that can't be hidden. On the flip side though, I do like the flavour it adds to the zone, and that could be lost if the fires were removed...
    (2)
    Last edited by Chewy2nd; 01-14-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Too much effort to have to program I assume. It does add depth to the area though showing the scars of the still-recent battle (it can also be kind of explained anyway even after SB's story is complete that those ships were shot down during Rhalgr's Beacon instead of crashing earlier than that).

Besides, even if you didn't, it can still be handwaved away that ceruleum is so volatile, the fuel on those wrecks ensures those fires could potentially burn for years, especially true if the Resistance and the Alliance ignore them and make no attempt to douse them (this is like reality with things like tire fires potentially burning for greatly extended periods if there was no attempts to actively extinguish them, and coal seam fires/gas deposit fires in nature are especially prone to burning for decades, if not centuries - see the sad story of the US city of Centralia and the infamous 'Door to Hell' in the former USSR for some recent real life examples of coal/natural gas fires burning for decades afterwards).
    (14)

Player
    Character
    Frizze Steeleblaze
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    Reading the OP i was ALL ready to jump in with the whole tire fire explanation. Then i see that Enkidoh did a much better job of it than i was going to. So +1 for you, and -1 to me thinking i thought of it first.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Kahori Harukawa
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    The #FringesFire is a landmark, an intended sightseeing attraction, a part of forced lore in the Fringes. Viva #FringesFire babby!
    (1)

"But please. Call me Bae."
    The White Witch of Okami Rojo.
    Made with http://ff14card.tank.jp/

Player
    Character
    Mirchea Luslec
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 70
    the flames of war will not extinguish as long as there is war
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Leowald Chestwood
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    The fires should be taken out for those completed the MSQ.
    But if they do that they will need to address similar continiuty issues elsewhere as well.
    Like Ishgard needs to finish the repairs.
    The Garlean Castra left here and there need to be removed or the Garlean army on them need to be replaced by other wildlife mobs or reamin empty etc.
    At least they put some effort to address some of those issues like the imigrant population of Little Ala Mhigo and the Domans in Mor Dhona.
    It shouldn't be hard to delete the fire textures on a map though.
    (0)

Character
    Matthieu Desrosiers
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    It's not impossible that we will get another 'touch up' of the game world at some point in the future. I believe Yoshi-P even hinted that this would be the case?

With that said, it'd require an immense amount of work to do effectively. Especially when you have things like the relic weapon books requiring specific enemies to be defeated and the sightseeing log involving key landmarks. Then, of course, there are side quests to consider as well.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lineage Razor
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodric View Post
    It's not impossible that we will get another 'touch up' of the game world at some point in the future. I believe Yoshi-P even hinted that this would be the case?
    I do hope this happens. Flaming wreckage can be cool, as it gives a battle-is-freshly-over motif that makes you feel like you're right in the action. That motif doesn't work so well, two patches past our victory with no hints of ongoing conflict. While it'd be great if they could key these effects to be active only until the player progresses a certain amount through the MSQ, if that's just too tough to program I'd say be rid of them entirely. Non-flaming wreckage works just fine no matter where you are in the storyline.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Miyha Manaya
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidoh View Post
    See the sad story of the US city of Centralia and the infamous 'Door to Hell' in the former USSR for some recent real life examples of coal/natural gas fires burning for decades afterwards).
    A bit off-topic but thank you for giving me something to research while it's slow at work, I knew about the "Door to Hell" but didn't know about Centralia. Interesting!
    (1)

"・・・イイ!"
    Let's be friends! Use my recruitment code to get cool stuff: R24ZGHF4