Player
    Character
    Nano Midgy
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50

Quick melee dps question

tl;dr: Back to FFXIV after a long break. Joining friends to build a raid rosters. I "have to" play melee DPS, I'm old/rusty and even though my reflexes are still ok, I can easily'ish lose track of my rotation when action gets tense.

What melee dps should I play? in other terms, what melee dps is more forgiving, lets you put in decent'ish dps and/or utility even with the occasionnal fuck up ?

Been reading a lot since yesterday, but it seems like everyone has a different take on this. DRG, NIN, SAM ? No one seems to agree...
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rasler-heios Nabradia
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Hi, it is eaxcelty as you say, everybody has their own take. You probably won’t get a concensus or unified answer, probably not even a majority. As you cannot please everybody, you might as well go with the job that you are most comfortable playing with . I main a DRG as that’s where I am most comfortable even if everybody says the job practically wipes the floor...
    (0)

"Is adventuring not supposed to be glorious? I thought it was supposed to be glorious." - Vath Deftarm, Dravanian Hinterlands, An Acquired Taste
    "That's a fine accomplishment lad. Young and lusty as you are, no doubt you'll achieve much and more in the years to come. I look forward to hearin' all your deeds." - Jonathas, Master of the Rolls, Old Gridania

Player
    Character
    Hiro Azumi
    World
    Lich
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 74
    Not going to debate which is easier etc. But if you're not comfortable with your rotations then I'd personally opt for Sam just because if you mess up your rotation, other than kill time it's only really your own dmg numbers that will suffer, you mess up on drg or nin you are eating into the entire parties dps potential. Basically utilities great but you have to be able to guarantee you can use it correctly, if you can't just take Sams raw dmg.
    (0)

Character
    Apple Jinx
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 80
    I think monk and samurai are good starting points. Monk have relatively the easiest rotations and buff timing and samurai doesn't get punished as hard for dying.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Alpha Bongo
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 70
    Samurai, as people have mentioned its very forgiving if you die and pretty easy to pick up. At its core it's about maintaining a single 60 second DoT, performing 3 combos and then doing one big damage weaponskill. Very straightforward.

DRG and NIN offer more raid utility but if you are just getting back into the swing of things I recommend you go SAM.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Florence Leduc
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 90
    i say avoid the monk for now, it's maybe the easier to play but by far it's the one the most punished in case of error, the loose of grease lightning can hurt badly since you loose 30% damage and 15% attack speed, by the way the monk is the only jobs that is punished soo hardly in case of error.

until they change the monk a lot, i say avoid the monk (what kill me since i love this jobs since the v1) go for SAM like everyone have said

if you play well you will end first in terms of dps (well if you play really well and are well equiped that it) ninja and dragoon are more about stuff they bring to the raid. but both are really interesting to play, stormblood give them a lot of new interesting tool.

ps: let me rant one second for explain more about the avoid monk, since the V2 the rotation have almost not change, we still use the same combo, over and over and over and over. to the point that i can do it without think (litterally) worst, the add of stormblood are kinda the worst of the whole expansion:
    - the 62 bring a trait that the only good thing we did get, that get you chakra point when you critical (well a % of chance that is still too low from my view point)
    - the 64 bring the riddle of earth, that is... ok let's be clear why by the hell we did get a tank buff? our jobs is to deal dps, riddle of earth switch us to "tank stance" earth fist and make us absorb more damage we get from -10% to -20% of damage taken, what normal don't must happend... we are dps... we are not means to take hit... if we take hit we are bad dps. or the tank is bad... or the tank is dead! ok it allows to reset grease lightning duration, only if you are hit! *sigh*
    - the 66 is the biggest joke and a sad one, shoulder tackle mastery, each fist give an effect to the charge of the monk, fire increase the damage a little, wind allows us to use it 2 time but divide the damage by 2 and earth...push back the enemy... yes the charge that are used for reach the enemy push the enemy from us... for god sake who have said it was a good idea!
    - the 68 riddle of fire, this skill is the level 0 of add of skill possible and it's badly done... the jobs of the monk is based on speed... everything is based on the freaking speed and riddle of fire increase our damage, but reduce our weaponskill attack speed of 15% means if you loose grease lightning you are in a freaking hell of slow motion!
    - the 70 bring brotherhood... this one is... for me it's an insult, before stormblood the monk was the only egoist jobs, it's role was to bring dps, nothing more, nothing less. almost 0 utility, the raider did complain that the monk didn't have utility and that why they wasn't taken... when the reason was more because all the other jobs was close in terms of dps... leading to raid prefering dragoon or ninja that was uping the raid dps time to time. then for stormblood they did add an utility buff (with 15 yalms of range... ) but at the same time they did added samurai a freaking egoist jobs that have the same role that had the monk before stormblood... why add utility instead to make us compete with the samurai for the place of the egoist job... because in the end, the utility we did get is situational and extremely dependant of the group. if you have less of 4 melee it's a bad buff...

then the monk for stormblood instead to become stronger did become weirder i have the bad taste in my mouth like we did come back to the v1 situation... they did added skill there and there but they are not adapted to the jobs, why they didn't enhance the free combo skill? or add more skill using chakra? i fail to understand. i don't get what they want to do with the monk, they are soo scared to make a jobs that need a bit of skill that they have a trouble to create skill for the monk. instead to accept that certain jobs will ask more skill than other. and give us what is means to be a monk, because soo far we are playing a rogue... no front combo, extremely fast pacing, we only lack of backstab...

anyway, rant over, avoid monk...
    (1)
    Last edited by silentwindfr; 01-17-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Player
    Character
    Nano Midgy
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    Thanks guys!

Could you link me to a good lvl 50 rotation ? (possibly 60, 70 too)
    (0)
    Last edited by NanoMidgy; 01-17-2018 at 11:02 PM.