Player
    Character
    Acha Acha
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 76
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander_Justitia View Post
    So many strategies, tactics and situational counter play is gone. I hope they see how flawed it is, with the re introduction of premade teams, the hardswaps will be ridiculous.
    I'm inclined to disagree. Despite all the skills being gone, the revamp to pvp made it more of a team based game, where strategies are definitely needed in order to win because it's so simplified. You've got to have a good awareness and quick reactions to be able to compete with high tier players.
    Just use Aether League as an example of that. It's not a solo based game anymore. When LP comes out, you'll be able to see first hand what team oriented games can actually do. And trust me, players are playing way better now than ever before.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Winter Sandman
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by AchaNoYumi View Post
    Despite all the skills being gone, the revamp to pvp made it more of a team based game, where strategies are definitely needed in order to win because it's so simplified. You've got to have a good awareness and quick reactions to be able to compete with high tier players.
    Just use Aether League as an example of that. It's not a solo based game anymore. When LP comes out, you'll be able to see first hand what team oriented games can actually do. And trust me, players are playing way better now than ever before.
    It has always been a team based game. Also players aren't playing better outside of feast. Frontlines and Astragalos, people are generally worse. I can't speak to Feast since I don't participate. It wasn't a solo game before and if anything it was more team based. I don't see how this information is based.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Lace Valeria
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by AchaNoYumi View Post
    And trust me, players are playing way better now than ever before.
    Things I've said in actual matches:
    "Please don't drop off cliffs when the enemy is already below. You'll just be at half health and easy to pick off."
    "MCHs, fully loading ammo before battle locks you out of heat generation for 3 shots, and prevents you from being able to deal higher damage right away."
    "Don't ignore half dead enemies for ice. They can't score from it if they're not alive to."
    "Please get off your mount before you're in range of the enemy."
    "It's not the color of your team that matters, it's how well you play."
    "Um. . . Freelancer only applies to Frontlines. That's why it's called Frontline Freelancer."
    "There's more to this than just capping mid."
    "Please read your maps."
    "Please focus the marked target."
    "Please focus the NEAR DEAD marked target."
    "You have plenty of time to try and come back. Keep fighting."

Shall I go on?

P.S. The best part is being told how wrong you are about some of these, when you know you aren't.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Chloe Lehideux
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 74
    The less mechanics and game skill is needed in the game, the more skill it is needed to overcome someone.

If you both playing on the same rules and know each other moves, its becoming a real challenge to fight against him and more skill to overpower him.
    Since you cant use a cheesy moves against him, because you both know all the stuff you could do, so micromanaging and manual skills starts to be more important than knowledge.
    The better player will still win the match, but not as easly as before, isnt it a good way to go on pvp design?
    Lowering the skill ceilling is increasing the challenge, you cant win as easly as before against everyone. So i believe you people dont like it, because its not as easy to win the game as before, am i correct? :P
    The pvp may had more buttons to press, but that doesnt mean it was any harder to execute combos and burst damage than in PVE. So the team with lesser knowledge about their abilities was losing.
    btw
    I actually enjoy that my PLD is a little different in PVP than it is on PVE, whenever i am off of playing pve i jump to pvp and enjoy the game like a brand new.
    (0)
    Last edited by Nedkel; 01-14-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Player
    Character
    Lace Valeria
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedkel View Post
    The less mechanics and game skill is needed in the game, the more skill it is needed to overcome someone.
    Um. . . what?

If you both playing on the same rules and know each other moves, its becoming a real challenge to fight against him and more skill to overpower him.
    This was entirely possible even before 4.0 changes.

Since you cant use a cheesy moves against him, because you both know all the stuff you could do, so micromanaging and manual skills starts to be more important than knowledge.
    If it was in your kit and usable in PvP, there were no "cheesy" moves. However understanding what your opponent can/can't do counts as being knowledgeable. All the micromanaging you can do doesn't make up for not knowing what to do or how to do it.

The better player will still win the match, but not as easly as before, isnt it a good way to go on pvp design?
    9 times out of 10, the better player will still win, and perhaps still with ease. But when kits have been horribly imbalanced from what they were before, or perhaps skills that could be used to burst down an enemy aren't even available, or hell, even when a job like MCH can attain a Battle High just pressing one button, then no, that's not good PvP design.

Lowering the skill ceilling is increasing the challenge, you cant win as easly as before against everyone. So i believe you people dont like it, because its not as easy to win the game as before, am i correct? :P
    I'm sorry, but no. When your opponent largely still doesn't know what to do, there is no challenge. When a player can blindly spam skills and perhaps get good results, then there's no challenge or necessity to learn or improve. And we don't like it because it's not as easy to win (it's arguably easier now with all the players that don't know, don't want to know, don't NEED to know, and don't care anyways), we don't like it because it was a huge step in the wrong direction, especially after seeing that it was entirely possible for new people to pick it up and learn to play and play well back in 3.5. It would be like having 4.1 SMN go back to being 4.0 SMN.

The pvp may had more buttons to press, but that doesnt mean it was any harder to execute combos and burst damage than in PVE. So the team with lesser knowledge about their abilities was losing.
    btw
    This supports our statements regarding how 3.x was better. Yes, it IS generally easier to execute burst damage in PvP, and the combos being consolidated to one button is easier (for melees anyways). But not every job needed that change. And yes, as it should be, the team with less knowledge of their kit/abilities would be less likely to win. Unfortunately, imbalances in the 4.0 system don't require or encourage a player to be good, especially not when healing generally eclipses damage, and CC skills are so short they don't have much impact at all.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Aria Fairchild
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70

btw
    I actually enjoy that my PLD is a little different in PVP than it is on PVE, whenever i am off of playing pve i jump to pvp and enjoy the game like a brand new.
    This post is so wrong on many levels.
    Pre-4.x, the wide variety of skills for each job (including the PvP-only skills) allowed each job to be able to adapt to a variety of situations, and thus was pretty balanced (in their respective role, of course), tho of course some can do certain things better. For example, DRK, considered the underdog of tanks in 3.x, was pretty good in what it can do (tho required much more work to pull the same level of effectiveness as PLD or WAR) - a well-timed Carnal Chill can save souls, and well-placed Tarpit/Unleash can stop dead a retreat in Frontlines.
    This situation changed in 4.x. With the reduction to 9 skills, and with devs' inability to conceive what is good for each job, it has created a situation when one kit is far superior to others of the same role. Take a look at NIN's kit: it has almost every CC, has insane mobility...with stealth 2.0 (can run in normal speed, and if you sprint before stealth kicks in, you get to keep the sprint too). Now look at MNK's kit: it's a pile of hot garbage, with almost zero sustain, zero disengage - a job for the most masochistic (sadistic?) of players who love to hear the death groan of their character.
    When every job has a kit that can fare well against each other, then we can talk about skill. Lowering the skill ceiling? Yea, it's so low that there's only so much you can do with it...it's like you have the ability to go to PhD yet your government says that the highest level of education is 5th grade.
    (1)
    Last edited by AriaFairchild; 01-14-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Character
    Riyah Arpeggio
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    IDK bout this. I remember in Seal Rock bards debating whether or not it was better to keep wanderers on, only to find out with it off you did less damage than a mch's turret if you were out of the sweet spot. DOTS were just a tax to make sure sidewinder did full potency, as they could be outhealed and even aoe spam could be. BLM for one was ridiculous in terms of skill; you had a huge learning curve just to use enochian, and a lot of people just ignored the HW abilities, and thunder spammed since its procs were better damage than trying to use enochian at all.

not even sure how good monk was, it had all the issues of trying to maintain GL the PvE version had, and only was good because at the time it had a ton of OGCDs. NIN's stealth if anything was worse because they had no real counter to it save alert; you could know a nin was stealth camping your base and could do nothing because alert's radius was so tiny and only two jobs had it. Plus melee in general sucked a lot more when every job in frontlines could CC you the moment you lunged...ppl forget how much 3.0 was improved from start.

Oh and balanced...ugh, people were complaining so much about scholar being crap tier and whm being OP, because WHM had the best CC and fairies were easily slept or taken care of. It wasn't this wonderland of balance.
    (4)
    Last edited by RiyahArp; 01-14-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Player
    Character
    Aria Fairchild
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    Yea, SCH was weakest of the 3, but it was still powerful, if you play well you can still pull off something. For 4.0, you can't do that anymore. In 3.x, a good SCH can win against crap WHM or AST. Here the skill ceiling is so low you can't differentiate anymore.
    Yea, people complaining about DRK too, and yet if played well could still protect their allies very well.
    You could make a difference if you master a non-meta class, comparing to FOTM jumpers.

I'll prefer 3.x state to this 4.x dumbdowned state, thank you.
    (2)

Character
    Riyah Arpeggio
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    No, it wasn't powerful. Neither was AST. people just forget stuff. They just remember the fun time when they discovered pvp and think it had no problems and was the answer to everything. They forget the bad. And you can't make changes based on happy feelings. because not everyone was "oh, wow!" when they played 3.0 pvp. They remember how much fun it was to have one purify to counter 3 stuns and a bind. Or how melee limit breaks took 80% of your health off. Or how OP sleep was, especially for JP players.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Lace Valeria
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by RiyahArp View Post
    IDK bout this. I remember in Seal Rock bards debating whether or not it was better to keep wanderers on, only to find out with it off you did less damage than a mch's turret if you were out of the sweet spot. DOTS were just a tax to make sure sidewinder did full potency, as they could be outhealed and even aoe spam could be. BLM for one was ridiculous in terms of skill; you had a huge learning curve just to use enochian, and a lot of people just ignored the HW abilities, and thunder spammed since its procs were better damage than trying to use enochian at all.

not even sure how good monk was, it had all the issues of trying to maintain GL the PvE version had, and only was good because at the time it had a ton of OGCDs. NIN's stealth if anything was worse because they had no real counter to it save alert; you could know a nin was stealth camping your base and could do nothing because alert's radius was so tiny and only two jobs had it. Plus melee in general sucked a lot more when every job in frontlines could CC you the moment you lunged...ppl forget how much 3.0 was improved from start.

Oh and balanced...ugh, people were complaining so much about scholar being crap tier and whm being OP, because WHM had the best CC and fairies were easily slept or taken care of. It wasn't this wonderland of balance.
    Let's see. . .

BRDs were insanely powerful in 3.x PvP. The BRD burst could 100-0 someone and if they were trying to play a range game against you (that is, trying to run in and out of your max range) you could just Iron Jaws them and wait them out. Pretty sure no BLM - no GOOD BLM - would ignore HW abilities, especially when a good 2 or 3 Fire IVs could kill someone.

MNK was undisputedly the best melee of that time. An always-on 10% damage mitigation? Silence on command? Insane burst potential even without Fists of Fire? 2 stuns, and a Pacification skill? Yeah, MNK like any other melee required some planning ahead, but you could literally pick a target to go delete, and just do it.

3 jobs had Alert (Detect). The "Dexes": BRD, MCH, and NIN themselves.

Why was WHM considered SO good? SLEEP. A heavy tank cooldown and regen in the form of a puddle (Sacred Prism). Assize being an attack, a heal, AND an MP refresh. And while situational, HOLY: The only other aoe stun in the game.

No, 3.x PvP wasn't perfectly balanced. But stop trying to point out 3.x's imbalance as if 4.0 is somehow better. One need only look at the state of Feast leaderboards, or what the most played ROLE is in Rival Wings. . . Yeah, THEN say something about balance.

Oh, for anyone who thinks AST is ridiculous now, they were even better then. I've seen an AST in 3.x literally survive an entire team of 8 on her from their base back to hers, utilizing the skills of her kit to their fullest to survive and mitigate the entire time. It was amazing to see.

You continue to only look at what was bad, and not what was actually good then, and give erroneous or half-informed facts besides. YOU perhaps didn't like 3.x PvP, but that doesn't mean it wasn't better than 4.0 PvP by a long shot.
    (2)
    Last edited by ThirdChild_ZKI; 01-14-2018 at 09:32 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast