Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Riardon View Post
    No I don't use overlays.
    Little update. Game just crashed giving me this sound related error message.

https://imgur.com/a/ZPSxz

Edit: I also noticed game loses sound when Discord is launched. For now I'm avoiding it and using Skype.
    Hello! Thank you for your reply.

Based on the information provided, we have come to the conclusion that a complete reinstall of the game may be necessary. Please uninstall Final Fantasy XIV from your computer. Make sure to delete any remaining FFXIV files from your computer, including any potential files in your ‘Documents’ folder. Then reinstall the game from scratch. If you need a digital version of this, it can be found here: http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/playersdownload/na/. Any updates or expansions will be downloaded to your computer once logged into the appropriate account.

Hope to be of assistance.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Leowald Chestwood
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariellendera View Post
    Hello! Thank you for your reply.

Based on the information provided, we have come to the conclusion that a complete reinstall of the game may be necessary. Please uninstall Final Fantasy XIV from your computer. Make sure to delete any remaining FFXIV files from your computer, including any potential files in your ‘Documents’ folder. Then reinstall the game from scratch. If you need a digital version of this, it can be found here: http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/playersdownload/na/. Any updates or expansions will be downloaded to your computer once logged into the appropriate account.

Hope to be of assistance.
    I can try that but removing data from the Documents folder also deletes the HUDs I've made in game. Can I copy-paste them again after the reinstall?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Leowald Chestwood
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    Today I tried to reinstall the game from scratch. Complete uninstall and removal of all data and folders in My Documents folder.
    The game crashed again within 3 hours of game play with the same error message as I posted earlier.
    Can you please forward the issue to the developers? Seems the game has some serious audio engine issues.
    Can't even launch Discord without losing the in-game sound again.
    It's so frustrating.

EDIT: Using Firefox browser also causes XIV to lose sound in game. Chrome doesn't.
    (0)
    Last edited by Riardon; 01-13-2018 at 07:39 AM.

Thank you for the update Riardon,

I have a few additional questions regarding your issue:

1) Does the audio drop only when you use ALT+TAB? Or does it happen at random?
    2) Are these crashes caused by the same thing? Only when using ALT+TAB? Do you notice any pattern to them otherwise?
    3) What kind of audio device are you using? Are you using speakers through a 3.5mm jack? Or perhaps a USB device?
    4) In the bottom right corner of your desktop, you will find the system tray. Click on the volume control and select Playback Devices. How many options do you have and have you tried switching between any of them?
    5) Do you have any other sound devices on your PC (i.e. microphones, headphones, etc.)?
    6) Have you installed any programs that may utilize the sound drivers such as sound mixing or recording software?

I understand this is a frustrating issue. We are having trouble replicating the issue on our side so if you can give a step by step description of what leads to the error, we may be able to better find a resolution.

We hope we can be of assistance in helping you enjoy the exciting world of Final Fantasy XIV!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Leowald Chestwood
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Einmimiria View Post
    Thank you for the update Riardon,

I have a few additional questions regarding your issue:

1) Does the audio drop only when you use ALT+TAB? Or does it happen at random?
    2) Are these crashes caused by the same thing? Only when using ALT+TAB? Do you notice any pattern to them otherwise?
    3) What kind of audio device are you using? Are you using speakers through a 3.5mm jack? Or perhaps a USB device?
    4) In the bottom right corner of your desktop, you will find the system tray. Click on the volume control and select Playback Devices. How many options do you have and have you tried switching between any of them?
    5) Do you have any other sound devices on your PC (i.e. microphones, headphones, etc.)?
    6) Have you installed any programs that may utilize the sound drivers such as sound mixing or recording software?

We hope we can be of assistance in helping you enjoy the exciting world of Final Fantasy XIV!
    1) It drops randomly. Sometimes in-game during a dungeon or boss fight and sometimes when returning back to game after ALT+TAB.
    2) I can't really tell. Seems like something breaks the audio engine of the game but what I cannot tell
    3) I'm using my on board audio. My motherboard is Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 (Realtek® ALC1220 codec & ESS9018Q2C chip)
    4) I have disabled everything else and now I have only 2 devices. Speakers High Definition Audio Device and 2nd Speakers Audio Device (the 2nd is the motherboard's front panel IO).
    5) I have a headset connect to the front panel IO. XIV doesn't allow for on the fly switching of audio output device. The game is using the default playback device as set by Windows. In order to change it a restart of the client is required.
    6) No. My Desktop PC is boring. No programs or overlays are installed. Nvidia's GeForce Experience overlay is also disabled. No Fraps, DPS meters, MSI Afterburners or anything else is running while XIV runs. I have only a browser open and ALT+TAB between that and XIV. The sound drop issue happens even when not ALT+TAB. Specific programs cause it to drop the sound when launched such as Discord. This is why I use Skype atm. Firefox browser also causes it to drop the sound though I cannot tell when. Using Chrome or Edge seems mostly OK but again I cannot tell because it happens at random. Most of the times the game does not crash with an error message. It just loses sound.
    Again this issue is very old. I had this with my old PC since 2.0 launched but it wasn't so frequent.
    (0)
    Last edited by Riardon; 01-13-2018 at 08:09 PM.

Player
    Character
    Leowald Chestwood
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    Today I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest audio drivers from my motherboards vendor. Also disabled Windows' 10 Game Mode and disabled "full screen optimisations" so the game ran in the old classic "Full Screen" mode. Browsing through Firefox caused game to lose sound again. After this I have nothing else to try. I couldn't run the game to a more "stock like out of the box scenario". The game just drops sound out of the blue and this happens only to this game. There must be something wrong in the background with the game's audio engine that I can't see. The only scenario that I can somehow replicate or create the circumstances for this to manifest is by browsing websites with Firefox and ALT+TAB between Firefox and XIV.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kawazoe Masato
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    1) It drops randomly. Sometimes in-game during a dungeon or boss fight and sometimes when returning back to game after ALT+TAB.
    2) I can't really tell. Seems like something breaks the audio engine of the game but what I cannot tell
    3) I'm using my on board audio. My motherboard is Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 (Realtek® ALC1220 codec & ESS9018Q2C chip)
    4) I have disabled everything else and now I have only 2 devices. Speakers High Definition Audio Device and 2nd Speakers Audio Device (the 2nd is the motherboard's front panel IO).
    5) I have a headset connect to the front panel IO. XIV doesn't allow for on the fly switching of audio output device. The game is using the default playback device as set by Windows. In order to change it a restart of the client is required.
    6) No. My Desktop PC is boring. No programs or overlays are installed. Nvidia's GeForce Experience overlay is also disabled. No Fraps, DPS meters, MSI Afterburners or anything else is running while XIV runs. I have only a browser open and ALT+TAB between that and XIV. The sound drop issue happens even when not ALT+TAB. Specific programs cause it to drop the sound when launched such as Discord. This is why I use Skype atm. Firefox browser also causes it to drop the sound though I cannot tell when. Using Chrome or Edge seems mostly OK but again I cannot tell because it happens at random. Most of the times the game does not crash with an error message. It just loses sound.
    Again this issue is very old. I had this with my old PC since 2.0 launched but it wasn't so frequent.
    Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 looks like it has an issue with the sound card intermittently dropping out causing the driver to reload which would explain how you are exposing FFXIV's audio bug. Looks like some people solved the problem by turning off Crystal Voice but others had to completely disable it and use another sound card.

Shut your computer off completely and let it sit for about a minute and then turn it back on. I bet that will prolong how long it takes for audio to stop working which leads me to believe its a hardware issue with the motherboard.

edit: you should be able to see if this is the case by disabling the onboard sound system in the bios and using HDMI audio output on your video card. If the problem goes away you isolated your problem.

edit2: The above looks like its for the Z270 not yours. Seems like gigabyte has a lot of audio issues lately. You can try downloading different drivers and see if that fixes your problem: https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-ha...r-version.html
    (0)
    Last edited by drebbe; 01-14-2018 at 03:34 AM.

Player
    Character
    Leowald Chestwood
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by drebbe View Post
    Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 looks like it has an issue with the sound card intermittently dropping out causing the driver to reload which would explain how you are exposing FFXIV's audio bug. Looks like some people solved the problem by turning off Crystal Voice but others had to completely disable it and use another sound card.

Shut your computer off completely and let it sit for about a minute and then turn it back on. I bet that will prolong how long it takes for audio to stop working which leads me to believe its a hardware issue with the motherboard.

edit: you should be able to see if this is the case by disabling the onboard sound system in the bios and using HDMI audio output on your video card. If the problem goes away you isolated your problem.

edit2: The above looks like its for the Z270 not yours. Seems like gigabyte has a lot of audio issues lately. You can try downloading different drivers and see if that fixes your problem: https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-ha...r-version.html
    I had the same issue with my old PC as well. An i5 2500K system I had for 6 years. It wasn't that frequent but it was there and kept happening.
    I don't have any crystal voice feature turned on. This sound problem happens only with FFXIV.
    All other games and application does not exhibit this. Witcher 3, Sims 4, Overwatch, Black Desert, Divinity Original Sin 2.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kawazoe Masato
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    I had the same issue with my old PC as well. An i5 2500K system I had for 6 years. It wasn't that frequent but it was there and kept happening.
    I don't have any crystal voice feature turned on. This sound problem happens only with FFXIV.
    All other games and application does not exhibit this. Witcher 3, Sims 4, Overwatch, Black Desert, Divinity Original Sin 2.
    Sadly unless your audio system is 100% stable you'll always expose this bug in FFXIV. Your best bet is to disable onboard audio in your bios and buy a sound card but it involves spending money.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Leowald Chestwood
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by drebbe View Post
    Sadly unless your audio system is 100% stable you'll always expose this bug in FFXIV. Your best bet is to disable onboard audio in your bios and buy a sound card but it involves spending money.
    Sadly I already gave over 1000 euros a month ago for this rig. And like I said I had the same issue with my older rig as well. A 2500k with an Asus motherboard. I don't have this issue with any other game that I play.
    Some minutes of search through Reddit and I can see there people who have the same issue for years yet no solution from SE's side. At least now I know that I'm not the only one having this issue.
    If SE wants more technical info from me they can ask for them and I can provide. I'm not a programmer nor I have access to game's code to tell what's wrong. Only the developer team knows this and only them can provide a solution.
    (0)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast