Player
    Character
    Lorelei Larkin
    World
    Kujata
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 1

RDM: Sprint using up Dualcast?

Been meaning to post this for a while, but just never got around to it...

Not sure if this has been posted or mentioned before, or if Square gave any reasoning, but my god is it annoying -- Sprint uses up your dualcast.

If you cast any spell, then sprint, your dualcast will be used up and your next cast will have to be hardcast instead of insta. Is this a bug, or has it been addressed?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Zuzu Belloq
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 80
    This is intended since Dualcast states to be canceled upon execution of any action that isn't an ability or spell.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Deceptus Keelon
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by zuzu-bq View Post
    This is intended since Dualcast states to be canceled upon execution of any action that isn't an ability or spell.
    It might be intended, but it isn't optimized. Sprint shouldn't cancel DC just like it shouldn't trigger it.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    J'majha Devo
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    True it states "any action that isn't an ability or spell", but this pretty much limits it to sprint, potions, and weaponskills. None of these will be used between spells, except rare cases where you want to go into melee immediately.

I'd prefer if it was "when you use a weaponskill".

In fact, to be honest, I'd rather sprint were treated like an ability. Including being able to queue the action as an ogcd.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zuzu Belloq
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 80
    If you're talking about optimization, you shouldn't Sprint between a hard and dualcast ever even if it was possible since it would make you clip and lose a small portion of dps. What's the issue of just using after the instant spell?
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Almandaragal Sedai
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by zuzu-bq View Post
    If you're talking about optimization, you shouldn't Sprint between a hard and dualcast ever even if it was possible since it would make you clip and lose a small portion of dps. What's the issue of just using after the instant spell?
    Second thought that came to mind was Baelsar's Wall, or any similar situations to one of the final boss' skills. You throw up your Jolt, or Verfire/Stone, and boom, huge telegraph you need to get the hell out of because you happened to be on the wrong side of the arena. Pop a sprint, get out of the way, hit that Verthunder/Aero-- Oh wait, Dualcast is gone, time to cancel and hit Jolt again.

The first thought that came to mind was the actual world map. I know a lot of people forget or want to forget that there's content there, but there is. I run into this "issue" with Sprint pretty often while doing Beast Tribe quests, FATEs, or most often, building my mana gauge right before I dig and use my Gaganaskin maps (Life is so much easier with 3 Enchanted Moulinets/Full Melee combo ready for those). You can often find that you finish off a monster and have Dualcast ready, and nothing in range. See a monster in the distance, pop Sprint without thinking, and it's gone. No huge loss, but a largely pointless one at the same time.

It's not a huge issue, but there isn't really a good reason that I can see for Sprint needing to cancel a Dualcast proc. At the same time, it's not a life altering issue either. Still, would be a nice QoL update.
    (2)

Character
    Lilila Lila
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 80
    Sprint should not use up Dualcast; its a silly obstacle to have.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Cyrillo Rongway
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryannex View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted or mentioned before
    It's on page 2.

[DEV Question] Why does Sprint remove Dualcast on RDM?
    (1)
    Error 3102 Club, Order of the 52nd Hour

Player
    Character
    Ash Primordial
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Grants the effect of Dualcast upon casting any spell with a cast time. While under the effect of Dualcast, your next spell will require no time to cast. Effect is canceled upon execution of any action other than an ability. Auto-attacks do not cancel effect.

It is atleast not a bug, it is intended like this. It is a lore reason in the end, you can find points for it and against it. So whatever.
    I think it is fair, a redmage should do what a redmage should do. If you fcked that up, you deserve that loss of a dualcast. You can sprint and use potions 1gcd before it and it would have been all fine, if you really have to use them between it, then you failed something anyway.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Zuzu Belloq
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Almandaragal View Post
    It's not a huge issue, but there isn't really a good reason that I can see for Sprint needing to cancel a Dualcast proc. At the same time, it's not a life altering issue either. Still, would be a nice QoL update.
    A possible reasoning behind it is: it forces players to not do the wrong thing.
    A lot of the SB changes and new skills came in with this in mind when you look about it. Something something EXTREME DPS DISPARITY.
    (0)