Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Player

Alrighty. I know something feels off when I have no aetherflow, but that could be because of my level. I picked up Arcanist way back in 3.56, but never bothered with it until now, when I'm seeing that my main ranged DPS is almost always taken (RDM) and I want the challenge of a non-meta class. I'll keep the MP regen part in mind...mostly just trying to stay in practice with my DoTs...I keep forgetting to throw out a Shadow Flare.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Alinhbo Rhiki
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    The last I knew for less than four targets you are better setting your DoTs individually using three Painflares in-between. For more four or more enemies you would use Bane, Painflare, Painflare. This should get you to DWT where you would use Tri-bind until Deathflare. I usually single target Ruin III > Ruin II/IV while waiting for AoE oGCD to be ready as it gets an enemy down faster than the 30 potency spread across x number of enemies. This could be wrong as I'm not into the math but anecdotally things seem to go faster. During this I am weaving pet and Shadowflare actions as available.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Crimson Law
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by KaivaC View Post
    Okay...here is what I've gotten thus far. After getting my SMN to Lvl 35, I caved in and bought a jump potion to hit 60. I've been running PoTD just to get a general feel of the class beforehand, and while I did take a look at the guide, a lot of this won't apply til I hit 70, though I know as I unlock more skills, it'll be much more relevant and I will practice them as I gain levels. So, this is generally what I'm using at Lvl 60. Please let me know if I'm screwing something up, or where I can improve at (btw, I am wearing the Shire Philosopher set that came with the jump).

The vast majority of the time, Ifrit is out. Before a pull, I will do this:

Aetherflow, Rouse.

During a pull for multiple targets: Tri-Disaster>Bane/Enkindle/Shadow Flare>Painflare>Tri-Bind until oGCD is available>Painflare>repeat Tri-Bind until oGCD is ready>Painflare>DWT>Ruin 3 until about a second before DWT is up>Tri-Diaster>Deathflare>Aetherflow when available (I find myself waiting for Aetherflow to come back up after this)

For single targets: Tri-Disaster>Fester/Enkindle/Shadow Flare>Ruin 3s>Painflare>Ruin 3s>Painflare>DWT>Ruin 3s until a second before DWT is up>Tri-Disaster>Death Flare

Pretty sure it's not optimal, but it's tough finding a rotation for 4.1 SMN at level 60. Seeing a rotations that include Quelling Strikes, which SMN doesn't have access to.
    As far as AoE goes, I've found Tri-Bind is only worth it if
    A.) You're up against 5+ mobs, or
    B.) If you're in DTW fighting 3+ mobs since the trance boosts Tri-Bind's potency from 30 to 100.

Other than that, apply your DoTs+Bane, use Ruin 3 + Ruin 2, and Painflare, and of course Deathflare when you're wrapping up DWT. Don't forget about your pet's Enkindle for AoEs too!

And as for single-targeting, the basic rotation I tend to follow after Aetherflow is Tri-D >Fester >R3+R2 >Fester >R3+R2 >Fester >DWT > R3X6 (weaving Tri-D if needed) >Deathflare. Repeat that process once more, then wait for Aetherflow to come off cd while keeping up DoTs, weaving R2 and OGCDs, and doing R3+R2 during the downtime. Then you can summon Bahaumt after you refresh your Aether stacks, Fester+R2 > Akh Morn, then weave R2 with Fester, Addle, and Tri-D at the end before the second Akh Morn. You get another round of downtime (this time without worrying about DoTs hopefully) until Aetherflow is about 17 seconds before it comes off cd, then you can use the DWT you built up during Bahamut.

To be honest, I'm still practicing that single rotation myself since I'm also pretty new, but that's the gist I've picked up reading guides (which seem to be the same ones others provided to you earlier, actually). But while you're still leveling, mostly just focus on DoTs, R3+R2 and Fester, then DWT >R3X6, all while weaving in OGCDs when available and you should be fine I think. But if any more experienced SMNs have anything to add or change I'd be happy to hear it as well!
    (0)

Character
    Tifa's Soulstone
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiroe View Post
    imo only use Garuda in real raids (when boss moves around a lot, or have 2 or more casters, or is aoe heavy), IF you can use "obey" on Garuda (!)... otherwise just go Ifrite "synced"..

(I'm ps4, trying obey means for me; cant take anyother cross class skills or even rez.., .. besides hate the "lagging"/Q-ing of the pet commands too, so I just always go Ifrite synced, which is Ok,.. but cant obtain the same level as my blm)
    Pet skills don’t lag they are simply animation locked and not chainable if u use gcd in between u feel way less „clunkyness“ - since mp and casttimes have been adjusted there are some fights u should/could take advantages of radiant and con in the same battle if u really wanna make it your main cls :0
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sunako Kirishiki
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by KaivaC View Post
    when I'm seeing that my main ranged DPS is almost always taken (RDM) and I want the challenge of a non-meta class. .
    Actually summoner is meta caster class right now. It is even most played caster class based by fflogs last 2 weeks right now. On top of that ppl not usually want to play with 2 casters because they share same gear set, so your chance finding parties may not raise from that department.
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2