Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Connor Whelan
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    I also wonder this often, and I think the same can easily be applied to MP. They feel like arbitrary values that have no effect on how I play, especially since I tend to use either Bard or Scholar (and thus have access to refresh/tactician/aetherflow etc).

I understand that they don’t think players can handle having to actively managing MP and TP, but in that case why do they even exist at all?
    (0)

Player
    isnt it messed up that goblet is a housing area and not a tiny goblin
    Character
    Dusk Himmel
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    MP is a bit different
    Reviving is somewhat punishing or Jobs like BLM and Drk who are built on MP management
    TP is rather minor right now but it also stops things becoming too mindless like spamming Over power and another punishment on death even if all Melee DPS have invigorate.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Scarlett Dzian
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 76
    Honestly preferred it in 1.23b where it was a resource you build in order to smash combos not an infinite resource you consume.

1.23 was a lot more tactical in a choice to use your tp gradually Or keep building and conserving it for a burstier spike of damage
    (0)
    Last edited by Dzian; 11-12-2018 at 02:04 AM.

Player
    Character
    Arlo Nine-tails
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    I also think it's quite irrelevant, and the only purpose by now is to limit AoE potential of some jobs, which sounds quite bad for a resource.
    Heck, if I could hide the TP bar in the party frame, I wouldn't miss it at all.

They need to either make it relevant next xpac or remove it altogether, because as it is right now is just dead weight.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Khalith Mateo
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Shurrikhan View Post
    Bumping because an expansion later this is sadly still just as relevant.
    Hey Shurri, haven't been in one of your posts in a while, how ya livin'?

That being said, let's address the topic at hand. I GUESS THERE IS NO POINT TO TP NOW!

I know it's not what you wanted though. We've had some very engaging discussions in how you do not like them scrapping mechanics whereas I am all for getting rid of unnecessary things. Ditching TP and consolidating our resources to MP is exactly what I wanted.

That being said, it will have far reaching implications for how drk and pld play especially. Along with brd and rdm. The four jobs that (to my recollection) use their MP and their TP to fuel their variety of moves and attacks!
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Grimoire Mogri
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalithar View Post

That being said, let's address the topic at hand. I GUESS THERE IS NO POINT TO TP NOW!

I know it's not what you wanted though. We've had some very engaging discussions in how you do not like them scrapping mechanics whereas I am all for getting rid of unnecessary things. Ditching TP and consolidating our resources to MP is exactly what I wanted.

That being said, it will have far reaching implications for how drk and pld play especially. Along with brd and rdm. The four jobs that (to my recollection) use their MP and their TP to fuel their variety of moves and attacks!
    Bard won't care. Foes will be reworked as part of the change, either into a static buff or a new song phase. I'd expect them to keep the raid DPS aspect of it but if it becomes a baseline song I expect it to replace Paeon in the filler rotation without something like a phys/magic split or making it a pure AoE nuke phase to balance it out.

RDM kinda does but we already clamoured for them to get more MP regeneration baked into their kits, this will ensure it happens.

PLD I know for sure will survive but hate it due to losing Holy Spirit spam outside req to some degree, but DRK is the biggest unknown for me. It kinda forces them to use DA less but by how much depends on the numbers.
    (0)
    Last edited by Grimoire-M; 11-19-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalithar View Post

Doing okay.

I'm actually pretty happy with the consolidation. If anything, I just think it's still not going far enough, as, whether we do not waste a bar on an utterly unused MP or TP resource (since all but PLD, to all practical extents, use only one resource) does nothing to make simply hitting a button every 2 minutes as soon as it lights up again... compelling.

I don't expect the effects of the change will be all that great, either, honestly, even for the few hybrid jobs. Foe Requiem will likely be bundled into BV and BV reduced to a 2-minute cooldown or similarly changed to a finite duration in some other way. PLD will simply see Riot Blade give back AoE damage resource directly, rather than only indirectly (by healing while the healer AoEs), with true downtime seeming to regenerate mana even more quickly with the lack of drain ticks from weaponskills. DRK will likely feel like Darkside was returned, but in a lesser and per-weaponskill sort of way, that will similarly change very little.

It's brought be back to thinking about the 1.x to ARR transition and TP therein, actually. In those days, I'd actually hoped it would stand as a replacement of a strict combo system. For instance, let's say all combo skills are somewhere between tier-1 and tier-3, with increasing cost and potency as you move up the tiers, but not quite so dynamic as the difference, say, between True Thrust and Full Thrust now (150 to 450). By comboing, you reduce a portion of the TP cost of each combo skill following it until the cost for a long combo would end up nearly TP-neutral -- the TP ticks gained equalling out the cost over the given GCDs. But, as the tier-2 and beyond skills aren't actually stripped of effects or reduced to pitiful potencies when used without combos, you'd still have the option of rushing out a finisher as needed. In that sense, a skill like Invigorate, which I feel would best belong on Dragoon only, would work a lot like combo-acceleration, allowing for a break in the rotation to get a crucial effect up sooner and giving flexibility to what is otherwise a very rotationally rigid job. Ideally, you could also play around with some spectrum bonuses, such as dealing more damage with TP spenders when at high TP, but regenning faster when at low TP, or just having weaponskill potency scale with base TP cost (which combos reduce without reducing damage) and the TP cost be slightly proportionate to your currently available TP (stronger and more expensive at first, but gradually cheapening until typical play is TP-neutral or even TP-positive). That would then have DRGs weighing the benefits of Invigorate against each other, offering a fair bit of nuance and decision-making.

Instead, it looks like we're just going to have yet another go of hitting an extra hotbar slot of button bloat every couple minutes. I'm still happy with the improved UI, but that's all it seems to amount to for now. One less bit of bar bloat, but just as much button bloat.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Merridyll Cailleach
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 80
    If I woudl have to redesign the ressource System of FF14, especially TP, then I'd make it this way:

HP = Health Points
    MP = Magic Points
    LP = Limit Points

TP becomes LP

All Classes become now able to perform unique class individual Limit Breaks.

the Game will now then not have anymore only Limit Break Attacks, that can be only performed when the Group fills up together a Limit Bar.
    That Limit Bar of a Party will get renamed then to "Team Spirit Bar" and the Skills performed under this System aren't called then anymore Limit Breaks, but instead "Team Combos" and will become redesigned Skills which will be then special Skills only performable together by the Characters of THE SAME ROLE, and only thenm, if all of them are still alive.

So to perform a Team Spirit Combo Skill from the Healers, both of them need to be alive and synchronize their skill usage together.
    And so on.
    The personal Limit Break for each Class which requires then LP to be full (1000) is then everyones own personal class relative "Special Skill" basically, which are skills with like a potency of like 2000 or so, that every charactre in an instance can use only a limited amount of times, like say for example 2 or 3 times, for game balance I guess 2 is better and it would make people to look after it, when its best to use them, rather than to spam them when they are ready, thats why a limit is necessary there to make these skilsl more meaningful.

Gaining LP would be based on what kind of Limit Style you have chosen for your character, exactly like in FFX, where you can decide, what exactly should let your progress increase, like should it be received damage, or dealt damage, or cured health, or whatever ...
    Based on what you have chosen, the done actions in game let you differently effectively gain LP faster or slower. In regard of how fast you gain LP, this will decide also about it then, what kind of potency bonus your Special Attack will receive, or what kind of Special Attack you will perform basically with faster charging up LP methods being literally weaker Limits, than slower charging up ones, so that the players also have here again some kind of build diversity choice in regard of how fast they want to build up LP for their special attacks, which suits the most to your personal play style best.

With TP not existign anymore with the next expansion, gettign merged with MP, and thus meanign, that all classes need to get rebalanced and reworked around this change, doesn't mean, that a kind of limitated ressource of 1000 points-mechanic can't get used for somethign completely different, like here with my concept of enabling us all to have individual own unique Limit Breaks, while making in fact the performing of the special group based LB a bit more complicated to trigger, therefore, that they become in return a bit more powerful and useful in overfall, with the little hook, that using them then needs having from then all all characters of a role having alive, so that they can't be used anymore just only by a single person of the group (which would solve also the issue of someone accidently wasting an important LB of the party in the middle of combat, if more than 1 person would have to trigger it together and need to be of the same role being alive.)
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Reinhardt Azureheim
    World
    Alpha
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90
    @shurrikhan

Have you considered the option that weaponskills simply wont cost anything and that MP usage would largely stay the same for things like Foe Requiem, Holy Spirit windows and so on? It would break current PLD if weaponskills would cost MP and I dont think there is a smart option for a physical-magical hybrid going 5.0.

RDM weapon (unenchanted) are generally awful compared to even Jolt I + Verspell enders. Even Moulinet would be a waste with 80 potency when Scatter has 110. So TP cost never really limited weaponskills on RDM; balance gauge did.

PLD TP costs on any of the comboskills does jack, it only limits Total Eclipse in long aoe pulls and Shield Lob + bash. Lob would simply be cost-free, bash be made ogcd. Total Eclipse is kinda meh and apart from subpar dungeonpulls it isnt worth the hassle to put it on MP to limit it only to rework the mp economy around riot blade and sheltron.

All that aside I think getting rid of costs on weaponskills gets rid of punishment for skillspeed builds or generally fast gcd jobs like samurai and monk, which is good imo.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinhardt_Azureheim View Post
    @shurrikhan

Have you considered the option that weaponskills simply wont cost anything and that MP usage would largely stay the same for things like Foe Requiem, Holy Spirit windows and so on? It would break current PLD if weaponskills would cost MP and I dont think there is a smart option for a physical-magical hybrid going 5.0.

RDM weapon (unenchanted) are generally awful compared to even Jolt I + Verspell enders. Even Moulinet would be a waste with 80 potency when Scatter has 110. So TP cost never really limited weaponskills on RDM; balance gauge did.

PLD TP costs on any of the comboskills does jack, it only limits Total Eclipse in long aoe pulls and Shield Lob + bash. Lob would simply be cost-free, bash be made ogcd. Total Eclipse is kinda meh and apart from subpar dungeonpulls it isnt worth the hassle to put it on MP to limit it only to rework the mp economy around riot blade and sheltron.

All that aside I think getting rid of costs on weaponskills gets rid of punishment for skillspeed builds or generally fast gcd jobs like samurai and monk, which is good imo.
    I have considered that option, too.

To be clear, though, I do not think weaponskills spending from the consolidated stat would "break" PLD, or DRK or RDM for that matter. The costs can be made TP-neutral, meaning that the only difference to, say, PLD's MP-regeneration period would be that Riot Blade would need do a bit more of the work, or that Requiescat itself would have to be slightly adjusted. It could, for instance, change instead to a skill which grants MP based on current (e.g. 25% of current) before granting its buff regardless of mana level, while granting its buff regardless of current MP. For a full Req window, one would still need the same number of Riot Blade casts, changing nothing to gameplay, though the phase would begin at 80% MP, up from 100% (again, just a difference in on-screen numbers, not to decisions or gameplay). A DRK, unless DA cost and Maximum MP are both reduced, would have slightly fewer DA casts per minute in this fashion, but DA potency has only been lowered as far as it has because of its increased rate. When rate is decreased, potency can and must simply increase in compensation. At worst, this would simply add more burst synergy/multiplicity to DRK where it previously had the least among the tanks. RDM could still have costs attached to Riposte, Zwerchau, and Redoublement -- they'd just have to be in line with the relative cost of weaponskills to TP classes or any of their basic spells to their overall mana pool. Make them each cost what Jolt costs, for instance. And when Enchanted, perhaps then you could make them cost absolutely nothing, as a bonus; the mana cost was already spent in the process of enchanting those skills. Same for Moulinet and Enchanted Moulinet. Match it to Scatter or the (now much reduced) relative cost of AoE weaponskills initially and then make it free when Enchanted.

Though I've considered both systems, I prefer weaponskill spending over neglected/omitted spending so long as other jobs still spend resource for the basic use of their weaponskills. Though PLD made virtually no rotational use of MP prior to Heavensward outside of AoE pulls, using Flash only as a filler, Flash still consumed MP. Even on a WAR, Flash consumed MP, and at the exact same cost. I like that consistency. If a Monk must pay to True Strike, a Paladin should -- on the surface -- pay to Flash or Savage Blade; they just shouldn't pay for it in any practical or throughput-limiting sense, which are costs each easy enough to avoid.

Again, I'd prefer to remove TP/MP costs from all basic weaponskills and spells, using the additional cost as a sort of Stamina Bar for emergency or capitalizing increased output, more similar to how Dark Arts functions now or to how TP functions in PvP. But as long as weaponskills cost something, let them all cost something. I believe that consistency is worth the minor rebalancing of costs/regains it would require.

Let's touch briefly here on AoE, ranged, and utility resource spending (as per Bash and Lob).

I think physical classes should be held to no more or less additional throughput cost for AoEing than casters are. It's as simple as that. I'd prefer that every skill which looks like an AoE be an AoE, and the current AoEs be given at least situational use in ST. Short of that, I'd at least like RDM's physical options to be, in themselves, damage-even with spellcasting (though the lack of W/B mana generation will put it behind later). But if only the simplest solution is permitted, then let there at least be balance.

Likewise, no caster would ever pay unreasonably for ranged skills; casters may pay for mobility in terms of potency, as with unenchanted RDM melee skills or BLM's Scathe, or very, very little in MP as per Ruin II, but never both. Melee ranged skills, therefore, should either have reduced costs (if this alone, normal costs), or reduced potency loss (such as through combo integration and reduced cost when less charged).

I do not, however, believe that Bash should be free or made oGCD. It is valuable, but expensive, utility and is better off for its differences in that regard. That it might cost a Holy Spirit under Requiescat if unable to provide a single safety margin use of Riot Blade is fine to me.

If you get rid of it for everyone, leaving the bar completely absent of use, so be it. But I do not wish to get rid of it for some and leave it for some others; I'd rather finagle what I can in the background to use the same standard costs without affecting any loss to gameplay or throughput.

That being said, the punishment for Skill Speed builds and faster GCD jobs can be solved far, far more simply than any systematic change to costs: just have TP/MP tick per GCD, and get rid of the need for Invigorate and Lucid Dreaming, and make Goad and Refresh increase the tick value instead of using a separate tick. Voila, now high-SkS and -SpS builds are equally efficient as low-speed ones.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast