Player
    Character
    Sylbritt Muscadet
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 89
    Quote Originally Posted by Elamys View Post
    i wish people would stop saying "BUT THE SERVERS" every time someone tries to suggest something for the game, though. ffxiv is probably the second most successful mmo on the market, there's no reason it can't do what games are barely struggling to stay alive can do.
    Cannot agree with you more.
    (5)

Character
    Matthieu Desrosiers
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadane View Post
    Personal housing was a mistake and it should have been kept to FCs only.
    No, it wasn't a mistake - and not everybody cares to be a part of a Free Company, either. Especially given how easy it is to be screwed over as a result of investing in one for months or even years only for petty drama to cause the entire thing to collapse upon itself...which is far from a rarity in MMO's. Numerous MMO's - some of which are older than FFXIV - offer personal housing for every single player that desires it.
    (14)

Player
    Character
    Calista Fallon
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodric View Post
    No, it wasn't a mistake - and not everybody cares to be a part of a Free Company, either. Especially given how easy it is to be screwed over as a result of investing in one for months or even years only for petty drama to cause the entire thing to collapse upon itself...which is far from a rarity in MMO's. Numerous MMO's - some of which are older than FFXIV - offer personal housing for every single player that desires it.
    You hit the nail on the head. My view exactly.
    (7)

Player
    Character
    I'shtola Maqa
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Maybe just maybe they should have went with a instanced or instanced and non-instanced mix from the get go.
    I also do NOT agree that personal housing should have been just for FC's, if they would have they may as well not have bothered implementing housing at all
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Lodestone Bait
    World
    Pandaemonium
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodric View Post
    No, it wasn't a mistake - [...]
    Given the limitations of their ward system? Yes it was.

Personal housing belongs into instances and should've been kept on hold until an instanced housing system is finished instead of being pushed into the ward system to be done with it. Not only because it's far less resource intensive, but also because wards filled with personal houses are almost always dead, killing the intended "neighborhood feel" right there. They even had that intention and wanted the two to be entirely separate, but didn't pull through in the end.
    Chances are, the current wards would have already sufficed for that, since even in the absolute worst case scenario of every single person creating a one-man FC to circumvent the whole thing, you'd only be looking at half the potential buyers, as right now, you can have both, a single-person FC house "and" a personal house. That's not gonna work out, ever, not even on the aggregate level, much less on a per server basis.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Luluma Luma
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 62
    The argument I've seen posed by multiple people saying instanced housing would be harder on the servers are just.. kind of wrong?

20x the housing they have now, instanced, would be less intensive than the wards most of which just sit there unused and empty most of the time, which are constant and ever present even when there is LITERALLY no one in them, eating up resources to have them there.

There is no reason for them to cling onto this outdated, poorly executed system for the housing, other than Yoshi P being stubborn and he openly admits as much.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Alevia Rohan
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Has no one else pointed out the math in the OP is wrong? Just to clarify:

4 Areas, 18 Wards, 60 houses per ward is 4320 per server
    there's 24 NA servers, so that's 103,680 houses.
    (they're adding 34,560 to NA with the 6 new wards).

Just thought I'd point out the flaw. It still feels a bit tight, especially on populated worlds, but it's an improvement.
    (0)
    Last edited by DotsNnots; 01-20-2018 at 02:20 AM.

Player
    Character
    Scott Pilgrim
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by DotsNnots View Post
    Has no one else pointed out the math in the OP is wrong?

(they're adding 28,800 to NA with the 5 new wards).
    Heh sorry about this, but your math is actually wrong too. It's 6 new wards, not 5 (13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18)

So that's actually 30 plots, 2 divisions, 6 wards, 4 areas, 24 servers = 34,560 new houses (There will be a 103,680 in total in NA worlds over all 18 wards).

285,120 houses in total over all 66 servers (95,040 new houses)
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Alevia Rohan
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by worldofneil View Post
    Heh sorry about this, but your math is actually wrong too. It's 6 new wards, not 5 (13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18)

So that's actually 30 plots, 2 divisions, 6 wards, 4 areas, 24 servers = 34,560 new houses (There will be a 103,680 in total in NA worlds over all 18 wards).

285,120 houses in total over all 66 servers (95,040 new houses)
    Thanks! I did the dumb thing where my brain said 18-13 is 5 so that means 5 new severs. That was a wrong thing. I fixed my post.

Point still stands, they're adding a healthy amount. It is still tight at 103,680 for NA, but it's still a large improvement.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sin Catvrix
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by DotsNnots View Post
    Has no one else pointed out the math in the OP is wrong? Just to clarify:

4 Areas, 18 Wards, 60 houses per ward is 4320 per server
    there's 24 NA servers, so that's 103,680 houses.
    (they're adding 34,560 to NA with the 6 new wards).

Just thought I'd point out the flaw. It still feels a bit tight, especially on populated worlds, but it's an improvement.
    Just to point out this was posted before the 6 new wards were mention..the only flaw is there is 24 servers not 25 the list i looked at had na showing 25 servers
    (1)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast