Player
    Character
    Korean Loli
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 45

Constantly getting error code 17

Recently (namely last night and today, although it has happened in the not too distant past before), I've been getting an error popup with the message:

"An unexpected error has occured. Exiting FINAL FANTASY XIV.(17)".

It just started happening kind of out of the blue, completely crashing my game while running around places. Like the previous time I had this issue, I reinstalled the game completely, although quite honestly, that might have made the issue worse, as now I crash about 30 seconds after pressing 'play' on the launcher without even getting to the title screen AND I'm still getting the error message that I did before.

This is on the PC version of the game, on Windows 10.
    (0)

Hello Torasmiles, Thank you for playing Final Fantasy XIV! I am going to provide you some troubleshooting steps. Please complete them all! Let us know if one of these steps work for you so, that we can assist other players.

The issue you are describing is most associated with interference with the game data. Most of the time, it results from certain security/privacy changes on Internet Explorer. Other times it occurs when an application that is running in the background is causing interference, such as Anti-virus software, firewalls, media players, web browsers, etc.

Please make sure all background applications (including anti-virus programs such as Norton, Kaspersky, Windows Defender, etc.) have been disabled and/or closed to minimize game interference.

Ensure that the latest version of Internet Explorer is installed on your PC (even if you don't use Internet Explorer), please do not use Edge as that is a different internet platform. Once Internet Explorer is up-to-date, please open the IE browser, open the "Tools", go to "Internet Options" and adjust the following settings:
    Under the "General" tab, please delete ALL browser history.
    Under the "Security" tab, please move the slider to the lowest possible settings or no higher than "Medium"
    Under the "Privacy" tab, please move the slider to the lowest possible settings or to "Allow All Cookies"
    Under the "Advanced" tab, please make sure that "Allow software to run or install even if signature is invalid" is CHECKED.
    Make sure that all SSL and TLS (EXCEPT SSL 3.0) are CHECKED.
    [SSL 3.0 should be UNCHECKED]
    Hit "Apply" to save the settings, and then "OK, to close the Internet Options menu.
    Right-Click on the FFXIV launcher icon and select "Properties"
    Go to the "Compatibility" tab, and change the compatibility mode to "Windows 7"
    Hit "Apply", then "OK" to save the changes.
    Please RESTART your PC now.

Once your PC has been restarted, Right-Click the FFXIV launcher icon once more and select "Run as Administrator"

If the suggestions provided above do not resolve the issue, then there is a communication error.
    Check the following Port Ranges on your router/modem to ensure that the following Port Ranges have been opened/forwarded/triggered:
    ▼TCP
    54992 through 54994,
    55006 through 55007,
    55021 through 55040

*You may learn how to do this by visiting http://www.portforward.com/
    Find your specific router's brand and model number from the 'List of Routers' and you will be provided a step-by-step guide on how to access these port settings.
    Otherwise, your ISP may forward these ports for you.*

If you have properly configured your router, and you are still experiencing these issues, our next suggestion is to bypass the router, and connect your computer directly to your modem. Please ensure that you power down both the modem and the computer for at least five minutes before attempting to connect to FINAL FANTASY XIV.

If you continue to receive these same errors when you are connected directly to the modem, then the problem lies with your ISP. We would recommend contacting them and advising them that one or more of the ports previously provided to you are being blocked or filtered, and that you do need access on these ports.

Thank you again.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Korean Loli
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 45
    Thank you for the help, unfortunately none of this worked.
    (0)

Thanks for your response. I would like to try and assist you further. Will you please provide me the following information:

- Type of connection (wired or wireless)
    - Other programs running while the game is playing (if any)
    - Frequency at which disconnect occurs
    - Where you are booted to after disconnect (Desktop, Start Screen, Character Select)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Korean Loli
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 45
    - I am currently on a wireless connection, with no physical way of actually getting a wired connection unfortunately
    - Nothing in the background
    - Every time I attempt to log in
    - Booted to desktop

In any case, I was actually able to resolve the issue by simply reinstalling the game again, so maybe there was something wrong with the new download I had, or there was something going on with the game itself. Regardless, thank you for your help.
    (0)

Hello everyone,

This thread will be moved to the 'Closed Concerns' subforum as the thread creator has found a resolution to their issue.

Thank you for visiting the Final Fantasy XIV Technical Support Forums.
    (0)