Player
    Character
    Keridwyn Maeve
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    I'm going to vote no on this.

You stated that having this 'upkeep' would help against house flippers and it's been pointed out that no, it would not. House flippers wouldn't keep the house long enough to trigger the cost of upkeep or would simply pay a large sum of upkeep up front and then add that cost to the total of sale.

You stated that the cost would be negligible, like paying for armor repairs, so that it didn't impact anyone too much. In that case it is totally worthless for the purpose of being a house flipping deterrent and it's worthless as a gil/currency sink because it wouldn't siphon enough out of the system (you're talking sub 100k per month numbers at that point).

You stated that it's good for folks who are planning trips or for whom life gets in the way. Sure, if you're planning to be gone longer than 45 days then it might be helpful to pay ahead and pause the timer but for those who find life getting in the way...chances are there was an incident that cut them off suddenly in which case oh no! Suddenly they don't have 45 days to get back online, they only have until their next payment is due. Better hope they weren't doing month to month!

You stated it would prevent house hoarding. No, not at all. You think the people who made enough money to afford multiple houses in the first place wouldn't be able to afford multiple house upkeeps (especially if they're as cheap as you say they should be)? The answer is no. They'd still have all their houses, this would stop nobody.

I'm also glad that you know that all my currencies are unused. That I don't turn any of my beast tribe currencies in for supplies. That I don't turn my GC seals in for ventures and crafting mats. That I don't turn poetics or hunt seals into various items/gear/trinkets. That I have nothing left to buy with MGP. Not everyone is sitting on this wealth of unused things because, surprise, if they don't have a use for the currency most folks stop doing the activities that give it. You're telling people to go out and do needless busywork. I'm sorry if I sound rude or harsh but I haven't seen you actually list any pros to this system beyond bypassing the demo timer, that seems to be the only benefit of an otherwise flawed, cumbersome, and unrealistic system. Thanks, I'd rather log in every 45 days.
    (12)

Player
    Character
    Lele Inoch
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Keridwyn View Post
    I'm also glad that you know that all my currencies are unused. That I don't turn any of my beast tribe currencies in for supplies. That I don't turn my GC seals in for ventures and crafting mats. That I don't turn poetics or hunt seals into various items/gear/trinkets. That I have nothing left to buy with MGP. Not everyone is sitting on this wealth of unused things because, surprise, if they don't have a use for the currency most folks stop doing the activities that give it. You're telling people to go out and do needless busywork. I'm sorry if I sound rude or harsh but I haven't seen you actually list any pros to this system beyond bypassing the demo timer, that seems to be the only benefit of an otherwise flawed, cumbersome, and unrealistic system. Thanks, I'd rather log in every 45 days.
    I like you.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Sylbritt Muscadet
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 89
    I vote no.
    I think other people have covered most of the reasons why this is a bad idea, so rather than rehash the points made by Dualgunner, Keridwyn etc. I'll add another.

If the fee is not substantial enough to discourage people from owning multiple houses or buying to flip then it is pointless, but if it is substantial, then not only are you going to hurt poorer players who may be using their house every day but you are also going to encourage RMT.

I think a more positive approach would be to keep the pressure up on Square to increase supply.
    Housing is a great feature and one that they advertise as part of the game (without saying how limited it is). Wouldn't it be better to work towards finding a solution that lets the majority of players have access to decent housing, instead of devising ways to punish house owners and take their houses away?
    (5)
    Last edited by Solarra; 12-08-2017 at 09:12 PM.

Player
    Character
    Storm Reaver
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 80
    Seeing how I paid 20 mill for my plot and another 1 mill for the house itself, no I shouldnt need to pay a monthly fee to keep it.
    (4)

Character
    Abel Fei
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    Very well said, Keridwyn.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Alinhbo Rhiki
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    I'm with the "No's". I paid a lot for my lot and house to own it free and clear. As far as upkeep I do that on my real house and don't want to get into that on my virtual house which is the only way I could see anybody rationalize a fee. Nope just let me do the fun stuff like decorate and garden with the methods already provided in the game.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Kaylee Frye
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    After forking out several million gil just to get my house and my fc's house, I have no desire to keep paying for them. I do NOT support this at all.
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Rosalyn Valeroyant
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 80
    Well, collectively, it does seem paying anything is a no go.

But can it be said that some sort of upkeep, as Mirch stated, similar to that of a chocobo stable, would be something to consider adding?

At the end of the day, if we remove the annoyance of flippers/hoarders/etc, it would be interesting to see some sort of cause and effect of how often people actually use their houses, be it a house becoming more unkempt and disheveled looking, or just dust gathering on things.I think that is what I would most like to see. The loved and used houses remaining pristine, and those that are ignored looking the part. Might help to give an idea of how actively housing is actually used, other than just looking at plots being owned, and from there might help to look into systems to improve the housing market, with more houses, but also different ways to get them, keep them, etc.

I do genuinely thank you all for the feedback. I know this is thread was not well received, but it was nice to discuss an unpopular opinion, and hear the different perspectives on it. Given a lot to think about if nothing else.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Dante Haiwindo
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Keridwyn View Post
    I'm sorry if I sound rude or harsh but I haven't seen you actually list any pros to this system beyond bypassing the demo timer, that seems to be the only benefit of an otherwise flawed, cumbersome, and unrealistic system. Thanks, I'd rather log in every 45 days.
    this was my exact point earlier on in the thread...I was rather much ignore by the OP, but cheers for saying it again. hopefully it'll go unignored this time.
    (3)

absolutely not on paying rent for something that us players spent time money and effort of acquiring a house but then turn around and make us pay rent for something that we already own, that is just messed up. This idea the op has would not work, would not stop house flippers at all
    (2)

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast