Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Ryla Bee
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Currently have all other party members set to limited.
    Way too much disco abilities. Saturday Night Fever has nothing on FF 14 party fighting with full effects on.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Kreyd Lerival
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90
    I played MCH up to 70 two weeks ago, and while I thought, that the unimproved skills looked to lame (except Clean Shot, where he does this awesome jump and twirl), I think that the improved shots are just too much and flashy (except Heated Split Shot, that looks fine).

Imo tanks, melees and physical ranges animations should focus on how they move and use their weapons and have one or two really flashing cd's, that really feel like a powerful ability, while mages and healers should definitevely focus on flashy magic attacks.

Like DRK for e.g. I know I deal around much with dark power, but the core of my fighting style is the three metres high sword I swing around like a maniac! <3
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Loki Lux
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 80
    I personally like the new machinist animations. It was part of the reason I picked it up again after bard got changed. It's more satisfying in animation style than bard, however, its not for everyone nor should it be for every class. I think they did a good job balancing flash with basic animation designs this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by RylaBee View Post
    Currently have all other party members set to limited.
    Way too much disco abilities. Saturday Night Fever has nothing on FF 14 party fighting with full effects on.
    This is what I do, since I main tank, the amount of animations was a bit overkill. esp in 8 man parties. 24 man forget it, you can barely see anything.
    (0)

"Within each of us, the potential for great power waits to be released."

Player
    Character
    Lace Valeria
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 80
    Job functionality aside, I do like the new animations, Heated Split Shot being a personal favorite. I liked the old ones too, but people did complain it was too "boring". It's important to consider though that there's only so many ways to fire a gun (and a bow to some extent). This is what concerns me about if they might ever consider a rifle-based job (though it makes me happy to see that SOME consideration has been going into the form factor/size of MCH weps and two-handed practicality lately). We point, we shoot. If that's too boring, we get special effects and acrobatics. If that's too flashy, then MCH just may not hold appeal for you.

I do personally want to see more "machine" in Machinist. Heated Clean Shot is a nice start with the launchers. We're using the latest technology/derivative magitek to fight at range. I'd better be summoning magitek bits or some kind of targeting/scouting drone by level 80. . . And even the pirates have beams, SE. Come on!
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Jaghatai Dotharl
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    MCH new shots are cool the first 5min you get them. Then you realize you will never see the others anytime but the 10s after the end of overheat, and you start wondering : "Why does my heated gun make little bots appear that still makes the shot hit like a wet noodle because I have a turret ?"

They don't feel special, they are overly complex and quickly fall into the "not paying attention anymore" box, where you begin to regret your steady shooter job than changes into a jumping-monkey one :/
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Winter Sandman
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    MCH got new animations? I am honestly almost 67 and didn't notice XD. Also I love MNK don't change it.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
    Because on matters based on subjective opinion, it's not actually that easy to identify the "middle ground". What's "average" to you can be "over-the-top" for someone else, or "too bland" for another player.

Just take the colour saturation for the game, for example. To me, the default setting is already just nice, but for many people, the colours appear washed out. Many resort to using ReShade to pump up the contrast to levels that appear way too extreme to me, but nonetheless suit them just fine.

So, frankly, this is not an issue for the team to fuss over. There'll be no way to please everyone on this matter.
    That said, there are factors that appeal to both sides, even if others like particle effect size, color, and density (all together: "presence") may not. Would anyone look at the animation for Plunge, for instance and think, "How did something so basic possibly get through development? He's just stepping towards the enemy!" And yet there's not a single particle effect on it. Bloodspiller, despite it's being so quickly clipped (especially relative to the infamous Plunge) and thereby muted, is mostly the same—complex animation, relatively little particle flair necessary. And while it's animation may look a bit show-off, it's not so outright without physical basis or contrary to prior design principles as, say, the new Machinist Heated shots, wherein kick-flips increase bullet speed, and you're somehow no longer bound to your usual turret limit, except only for those particular shots...

So while particle effect presence or the like may be subject to polar and uncompromising opinions, a balance of elegance (even if somewhat bending practicality) and apparent expertise (not necessarily more practical, but keeping such in consideration) has far, far closer poles and considerably more overlap.

Heck, take the Witcher's / Geralt's sword animations, even from his cutscenes, for example: I've done enough longsword fencing myself to understand how, why, and when a lot of those get ridiculous, but at least they can excuse themselves such that I'll still, especially in a physics-less MMO like XIV, forgive them so long as they look that neat.
    (1)
    Last edited by Shurrikhan; 12-07-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Player
    Character
    Ren Okamiya
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 70
    Personally, I just want to have back the cool looking-spinning-flying animation of dancing edge on eolian edge instead of the one we have now, which is in my opinion not cool at all and boring. I don't care about the "flashiness"
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Fodare Tribal
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 63
    IMO, Machinist's animations are beyond ridiculous and frankly, stupid looking. I wish they would shoot a gun like a normal person, you know, with precision and aim. Not jumping around for no reason, only hurting your accuracy.

What look like rifles, behave like a Swiss-Army-Gun but are handled like hand guns. Why aren't Machinist's kneeling, using two hands and aiming their guns? If it's two handed, make 'em use two hands. Or make them one handed and give us two of them.

Also, I wish ricochet didn't look like a mini-EMP.

Also, I don't really know what the little machine attached to the hip is actually doing.

Also, ammo is poorly designed. It shouldn't be called ammo, since clearly it does not represent your ammo lol.
    (0)
    Last edited by fodare; 01-05-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Player
    Character
    Fannah Loydera
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 60
    "the little machine attached to the hip" aka Lunchbox, is what charging energy to make machinist able to do all the flashy stuff, or magic-like actions or charging your turrets.
    Special ammo or Augmented ammo, could be more explaning it allows you to always do cool tricks for combos, yea. But it's hard to explain lore wise why combos are rng, tbh :/

The problem with shooting like a normal person would it to need to have a character attacking at least once per second to make it cool. It's weird already to have the 3 hit of the old combo (the unheated one nowadays) which were inflicting more or less dmg according to the animation while you just shoot a same kind of bullet on someone on the same part of the body. At least the new combo explain why some hits hurt more than another one.
    (0)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast