Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Player
    Character
    Aurelie Moonsong
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    I'm at WHM Lv50 and I really like the "Wand of Flames" (branch with red flowers on it), but only got to use it for a short time before having to upgrade to something more powerful. Haven't found any canes that I really like the look of.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Seraphitia Faro
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadane View Post
    Kinda wish we could just bring them back.
    I enjoyed shielded mages.
    Yes. The choice between a weaker wand with a shield or stronger cane without it was nice. No idea why they decided that it's too much of a pain, really. Can't imagine someone being so naive as to think that even this is too complicated for the average Joe or Jane...then again, some of the simplifications that Square Enix does to this game repeatedly show that the developers think that the average player is no more than 6-7 years old...
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Vidu Moriquendi
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by kikix12 View Post
    Yes. The choice between a weaker wand with a shield or stronger cane without it was nice. No idea why they decided that it's too much of a pain, really. Can't imagine someone being so naive as to think that even this is too complicated for the average Joe or Jane...then again, some of the simplifications that Square Enix does to this game repeatedly show that the developers think that the average player is no more than 6-7 years old...
    I dont think its because they dont believe we could make that choice - its more that it wouldnt really be a choice, would it? All caster-classes are either dps or healer and neither (should) need a shield to block anything. Picking wand and shield isnt really an option thats needed anymore, the meta would be cane anyways so any wand&shield would be a waste of dev-time and an actual lost option to pick from for the mage.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Seraphitia Faro
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidu View Post
    I dont think its because they dont believe we could make that choice - its more that it wouldnt really be a choice, would it? All caster-classes are either dps or healer and neither (should) need a shield to block anything. Picking wand and shield isnt really an option thats needed anymore, the meta would be cane anyways so any wand&shield would be a waste of dev-time and an actual lost option to pick from for the mage.
    Not really. You miss the stat bonuses that gear gives, shields included. Canes give more stat bonuses than wands, but shields added to that. It's just like gear pieces that take two slots (like pants and boots) give roughly double the stats. However, you could want a different stat distribution, hence why you could want to take a shield with a wand instead of the cane.

And I'll tell you this...I always took wand and shield over cane until after I crossed the lvl50. It would probably stay that way, too. Now more than ever, it IS relevant. Block can happen on physical and magical attacks, and that means that the healer or caster could block a party-wide AoE of any sort occasionally if it was still available. 15%-20% reduction in damage from unavoidable damage, even if once in a fight, does give that little bit of leeway. And there are still the enmity-ignoring attacks, some quite specifically aimed at healers (though those tend to be status effects more than damage, I guess).
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Aliiza Duskryn
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 52
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscah View Post
    I'm at WHM Lv50 and I really like the "Wand of Flames" (branch with red flowers on it), but only got to use it for a short time before having to upgrade to something more powerful. Haven't found any canes that I really like the look of.
    You've barely even scratched the surface of this game, give it a bit more time and there's all of HW, Relics, Raids, SB to go through for glamour options. I know it doesn't help with the wand issue but it's better than nothing.
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2