Player
    Character
    Sacrilege Moonshadow
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by hynaku View Post
    Why should black mage get raise. It doesn't come from class that had raise in first place. Summoner has it because its also a scholar and class they both come from had it. Red mage is hybrid class that combines healer and caster class together. Black mage doesn't come from any type of healer class. If they take raise away. Then they need to take away endless mp a black mage gets.
    I see where you're coming from and agree that BLM should not get a rez. However, I'd argue that SMN has a rez only because it hasn't yet been able to escape its loveless marriage to SCH, and RDM isn't a hybrid class in this game; there is no room for a DPS-based healing hybrid in the current game design. It works for healers and tanks to maximize DPS because they can do so helpfully while still performing their primary functions; a DPS Job's primary function takes up virtually all of their actions if they are doing it correctly.

I wouldn't base my argument against BLM rez on reasons why the other casters have it, because SMN never really needed it, and RDM is shoe-horned into a rez dispenser role because of theirs and how it works so easily with Dualcast (though it admittedly comes with a DPS cost).
    (5)
    Last edited by Cynfael; 01-07-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Player
    Character
    Ceallach Ruarc
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynfael View Post
    RDM isn't a hybrid class in this game
    Yes it is, because lore.
    (0)

Character
    Lilila Lila
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceallach View Post
    Yes it is, because lore.
    Hybrid as in it uses both black and white magic? Yes.

Hybrid as in it's a DPS and a healer? No. It's a dps with some healer mechanics.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Harold Saxon
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Dualgunner View Post

Hybrid as in it's a DPS and a healer? No. It's a dps with some healer mechanics.
    If anything, its a hybrid between a caster and a ranged DPS.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Harold Saxon
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by NephthysVasudan View Post
    If your relying on a DPS to raise your party members...your doing it wrong.
    The issue is not where you think it is. DPS'ers shouldn't be healing in the first place....if they happen to have the skill...its for emergencies/mistakes/screwup's.
    IMHO.
    Is it wrong that a redmage can raise/cure? No...its handy when things go wrong. Note what i just said......
    Actually, in early progression, raising is a very valuable tool to let you see/attempt later phases even after mistakes.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Sacrilege Moonshadow
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 80
    Yes it is, because lore.
    It's not, because context.

Lore is a different discussion from gameplay. I explained in the same post in what way it cannot properly be considered a hybrid class in FFXIV.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Remedi Maxwell
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    Real hybrid class don't mesh well with role based MMOs anyway, one could say that RDM is as hybrid as the system allows it but it still remains a damage dealer job at it's core
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Ceallach Ruarc
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Dualgunner View Post

Which is what makes it a hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynfael View Post
    It's not, because context.

Lore is a different discussion from gameplay. I explained in the same post in what way it cannot properly be considered a hybrid class in FFXIV.
    What people like you have to understand is lore is equally as important as gameplay to any RPG. Maybe not to you, but you're not a developer. But to humor you, the red mage is a DPS Disciple of Magic with four weaponskills (which you otherwise only see on Disciples of War) and an Intelligence-based healing spell (Physick is Mind-based so summoner can't really be expected to use it ever and simultaneously be considered to be "using its full kit"). Therefore, hybrid.
    (0)

Character
    Lilila Lila
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 80
    Which is what makes it a hybrid.
    Okay, goalposts are now at "if a class has mechanics of a different role it's a hybrid."

All healers are now hybrids. All tanks are now hybrids. Most dps are now hybrids. Hybrid means next to nothing now.

EDIT: Worth noting if you're using its weaponskills, you're being bad at the job. When enchanted, the attacks are unaspected magic, not weaponskills.

EDIT2: Ignore edit 1; I'm not redacting it, as people do have the right to see my stupidity in full. JohnnyDevo has the right of it, and I never looked at the part of the skillcard where it says "Weaponskill".
    (2)
    Last edited by Dualgunner; 01-09-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Player
    Character
    Prism Daybreak
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    The theme/lore/history of Red Mage is a hybrid white and black mage, the gameplay and implementation is DPS that has been cursed with Raise dispensing and an okayish recovery tool in Vercure.
    (4)

Page 69 of 71 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 LastLast