Player
    Character
    Wolf Spyder
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 70

How is FSH from 61-70?

I've blown off FSH at 60 some time ago prior to Stormblood, shortly after catching a fair number of big fish, getting the Dragon's Deep title, etc. I'm hesitant to resume this job, due to a number of terrible, anti-fun elements of the system.

Do the new higher level actions help make the job tolerable, or is it just more of the same crap?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Wynne Yilmaz
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    nearly all new actions are for Spearfishing, which is like MIN/BTN gathering for Fishers.

The two actions that are for normal fishing are Mooch II, a 3-minute recast for 100 GP that lets you mooch off of a NQ fish, and Double Hook, which increases yield of the next cast based on the type of fish and your gathering rating.
    (0)
    I was the Almighty Enkidu for April Fools 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
    To be fair, it's not so much a flame war as it's 12 pages of people agreeing the OP is an idiot.

Player
    Character
    Zierk Shinhan
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    I'm the exact opposite, I enjoyed 1-60 Fishing because I could sit in one spot and just relax. Had a macro that would /hook,. /wait, /mooch, /cast essentially making fishing a low attention activity for me while I did other things on a different monitor. At 63 you unlock spear fishing which makes fishing like mining/botany(node chasing) except you have to wait before you strike the node for a bubble burst indication on the node, otherwise you immediately miss/fish got away and waste durability on the node. For this reason I find that spear fishing requires the most amount of attention/brain power out of all the gathering jobs and it has slowed me down leveling. On the flip side, spear fishing yields fish that are required for some higher level recipes and on my server are still in demand so you can make a decent amount of gil just leveling.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Alya Mizar
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 72
    If you didn't like fishing why persue it again?
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Boris Taglia
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadygrove View Post
    I fully agree with this. Nothing has changed from the core mechanic other than spear fishing, which I personally don’t like, since the reason I leveled fish in the first place was the fact I didn’t HAVE to run between nodes every 30 seconds.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tempest Deep
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadygrove View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BorisDaBlade View Post
    I fully agree with this. Nothing has changed from the core mechanic other than spear fishing, which I personally don’t like, since the reason I leveled fish in the first place was the fact I didn’t HAVE to run between nodes every 30 seconds.
    Uh huh. Because there's absolutely nothing in the game that requires things you can only get through FSH, amirite?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Boris Taglia
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Alisi View Post
    Uh huh. Because there's absolutely nothing in the game that requires things you can only get through FSH, amirite?
    That’s what the MB is for, amirite?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tempest Deep
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by BorisDaBlade View Post
    That’s what the MB is for, amirite?
    LOL. Well, I can tell you're not an endgame crafter. No offense but you're wrong in this. If you don't do a whole ton of crafting, then MB is a viable option. Otherwise, you simply need too many things from FSH to make buying them off from the MB viable without taking a huge lose.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Niraves Lunas
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Alisi View Post
    LOL. Well, I can tell you're not an endgame crafter. No offense but you're wrong in this. If you don't do a whole ton of crafting, then MB is a viable option. Otherwise, you simply need too many things from FSH to make buying them off from the MB viable without taking a huge lose.
    At 13k a piece for Swordtip on my realm, you can bet that I am forcing myself to go through the process of catching them myself. Alisi is right. The MB is fine for some things, but if you intend to actually make a decent profit, you can't use the MB for everything.
    I hate Fisher. Hate it with a fiery passion. Hate it to the point I would cherrfully kick the dev that designed it. I hate fishing for three hours to get two stacks of literal garbage fish that aren't used for anything except desynth, so I can get 30 of the fish I actually wanted. Fishing can go die, slowly, painfully, and I want to watch.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Celenir Istarkh
    World
    Atomos
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Spearfishing is just BTN/MIN with timed whacks, otherwise it's mostly more of the same thing. What's worse, because fishing success rate for big fish is hard-capped regardless of your level and gear, you won't have the luxury of going back and finishing off the other big fishes easily. They're still going to waste your time by running away easily. (Although if you enjoy fishing, it's like going back to old raids syncced and enjoying the fight.)

I can't decide yet whether I like spear fishing. But imagine when you go on your BTN/MIN and open a node, the node will flash every 3-5 seconds and you have a short time after the start of the flash to whack the node. You can't decide what item from the node you want, they come randomly. You only have a choice of three spearheads that can sometimes narrow down what fish you get. Each flash takes off one try from the node. Then there's a type of shadow node that can only be spawned after catching X of a specific fish nearby.

Is it fun? Personally I hate the RNG aspect of fishing, but that's fishing, fishing is just RNG, like getting a crit or a proc on some weapon skill. The whole idea of bait for specific fishes is destroyed by the fact that many types of bait actually attract several fish with similar rate. Time and weather feels more like a waste of time than fun factors, but that's just me. I know people who absolutely love these elements about fishing.

IMO if you don't like fishing, it's probably better to treat it as a cost of business and just buy fish off the market board. If this makes your product unprofitable, then I guess it being fun or not is no longer relevant, seeing how you simply have to go cath those fish yourself.

Making a profit in this game requires time investment, and that's one of the core design goals of the economy every since 2.0. I don't like it since I invest enough time in the real world earning money, I'm not going to invest hours and hours each week just to make virtual money. To that end, the game now provides a non-crafter/gatherer with enough sources of income to sustain combat activities, so it's quite balanced in a way.
    (0)
    “There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway