Player
    Character
    Nic Pay
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Bixillarla View Post
    Except you can only use 1 Job Potion per account, cannot apply multiple potions.
    They actually removed the cap
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Wolf Spyder
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 70
    It's a dumb system from the ground up. The only way it could improve is if the new players had their own rating system on mentors. But since the devs have proven to be unnecessarily paranoid and scared of system exploits and abuse, it'll keep on being garbage.

Just turn it all off and step up and help folks when they ask for it. You don't need crowns nor rewards to do it. EVER.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Hestzhyen Voer
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Bixillarla View Post
    Except you can only use 1 Job Potion per account, cannot apply multiple potions.
    That was changed with this patch- you can now use a jump potion for any job you like, if you have the money and the inclination to do so.

I take my crown off when I'm not feeling particularly helpful but all in all the mentors who care are a benefit to the game. It's the Mentors who get the crown for crafting and go into duties with their single combat job and underperform that cause some issues to people. (Solution: limit them to the crafter mentor crown variant). Then there are the a-holes... there are only so many GMs to handle thousands upon thousands of reports but I think Mentors should be held to a higher standard than regular players whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jas710 View Post
    Just turn it all off and step up and help folks when they ask for it. You don't need crowns nor rewards to do it. EVER.
    You shouldn't *need* to give incentives for people to do the right thing in any situation. But doing so increases the chances of promoting the behaviour you want to see over doing nothing at all. We like getting something for doing something, that's human nature.

Mentors exist because SE knows they do a terrible job of getting new players into the game. There's no GOOD official resource for newbies to access, no strong community-created hubs to act as a one-stop-shop for all your New Adventurer needs, and the game itself is woefully lacking in documentation and explanations for its various systems. Added on to that fact is the reality that the beginning of XIV (like most MMORPGs) is a tedious exercise in "run here, talk to [x], go somewhere else, talk to [y], kill 4 boars and bring back their butts, repeat" and the long GCD coupled very few skills, topped off with a not-yet-great story can really sour the experience. Mentors exist to fill some of those gaps so that newbies don't get stuck or frustrated for too long. It's a shame that SE's requirements for earning the status aren't stricter and that it's nearly impossible to vet players' attitudes prior to giving them access to the crown and the NN, but the system itself is a solid enough concept.
    (1)
    Last edited by Hestzhyen; 10-24-2017 at 08:35 AM.

4. 10-24-2017 08:26 AM
    Reason
    Irrelevant rambling for the most part... Goblin's NN has just turned me very hateful towards mentors.

Player
    Character
    Aurora Vlondett
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Keydah View Post
    ...turn NN into a less chatty place somehow...
    Legitimate question. Why do this? Obviously the spoilers are bad, but why does it make a difference if Mentors and/or newbies/returners are chatting as long as questions are being answered?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Korihu Yanhu
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 70
    They should never ever have awarded things for mentors aside from titles. I believe majority of the reason why mentors are so bad in this game is because SE locks big stuff behind a HUUGE grind on Mentors. The giant pegasus is awesome, people want that, but they gotta go through 2k roulettes, which leads to a lot of people wanting to rush through. What was to be expected? If they wanted people to be Mentors for the sake of helping, they shouldn't have put such big rewards behind it. Let people do it because they like to, shouldn't that be the reward of mentoring?
    (3)

7. 10-24-2017 09:13 AM

Player
    Character
    Aurora Vlondett
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    If the chatter causes questions to be missed, then yes, it is an issue, but otherwise I'm just not sure it would be otherwise. Granted, the general lack of new people on my NN (Balmung) means I don't actually run into too many questions these days.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Joe Ultima
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 70
    I've had my crown for months now, have yet to unlock Mentor Roulette, and help people in any way I can when able. I'm a Mentor to be a Mentor, not for the perks. As has been said, not all crown-bearers are phonies just looking to get their 2-seater or feel special.

What this game does need though: a true Mentor system. Not just being able to join and moderate a chat channel but to be able to Level Sync at will to whatever level we please in open world (while not earning XP from grinding the mobs that normally would not give us XP so as not to abuse the system) so we can actually help out lower levels any way we can in battle without having them gang up on them or slaughter them as well as ruin their XP gain just because we grouped up with them.
    (2)
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers (PWN) on Coeurl in Aether.

Player
    Character
    Astarotte Niuhali
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe777 View Post
    I've had my crown for months now, have yet to unlock Mentor Roulette, and help people in any way I can when able. I'm a Mentor to be a Mentor, not for the perks. As has been said, not all crown-bearers are phonies just looking to get their 2-seater or feel special.

What this game does need though: a true Mentor system. Not just being able to join and moderate a chat channel but to be able to Level Sync at will to whatever level we please in open world (while not earning XP from grinding the mobs that normally would not give us XP so as not to abuse the system) so we can actually help out lower levels any way we can in battle without having them gang up on them or slaughter them as well as ruin their XP gain just because we grouped up with them.
    This reminds me of what City of Heroes/Villains had with the sidekick/exemplar system.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Alael Sasaki
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Dualgunner View Post
    The mentor system NEEDS to be abolished...! WHO ELSE agrees?

EDIT: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...og#post4064933
    Here we go again, please less trolling.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lace Valeria
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 80
    I won't mince words: I'm not sorry I became a mentor. However, you won't see me with the crown on anytime soon, nor do I care for/want that mount.

I DO care that newer players learn what they need to to have a better experience. I care if they're developing bad habits or not living up to their potential. I care because when they hit max level and I'm running content with them, I would feel bad to know they're underperforming when I could've done something early on to help them really grow into their given role/job. I don't need the accolades. When I can look across the endgame towns and say "I helped that guy clear Coil", "I taught him how to PvP", "I ran that top percentile raider through his first Savage raid way back when". . . That's all the reward I need. No one forces me to mentor, and I don't force my ways on anyone learning. Experience is the best teacher, I'm just the safety net when they hit those stumbling blocks. People can and have just approached me with questions, and have gotten answers. Help too, where and when it was needed.

So no, I'm not sorry for being the change I want to see. That is however, because I do it for the right reasons. Not a crown and a horse.
    (4)
    Last edited by ThirdChild_ZKI; 10-24-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast