Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Meru Maru
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90

[GUIDE p4.1] Housing Glitches : Placing (almost) everything (almost) everywhere!

With the release of Shirogane housing and apartments I’m sure amidst the salt people are still busy decorating!
    Here’s some tricky tips we’ve gathered over the years abusing the tools given to place stuff in places not intended.

I don't take credit for discovering any of these glitches but everyone with a house/apartment should know about them.

Floating Glitch
    Storage Glitch
    Getting under the Staircase
    Moving False Windows
    Sit and Doze posing on different surfaces
    "Loft" Glitch - Using Storage glitch to float basically anything, even non-attaching Furniture

Also, throw me a line if I'm missing anything specific!
    (37)
    Last edited by Jeykama; 11-16-2017 at 12:14 AM.

Player
    Character
    Meru Maru
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Floating Glitch (Tabletop/Wall-mounted items only)

This guide is for PC only. I don't own the PS4 version of the game, but someone in the old thread pointed this Japanese player video out which may help - http://youtu.be/vzyldLa02tg

This glitch can be used to place your tabletop and wall-mounted items nearly anywhere in the house, making it a cinch to craft jumping puzzles, stick teddy bears on top of beds, even that moogle floating in the middle of your room (music not included).

There are two tools you’ll need:
    White Partition (any housing furnishing vendor or Estate Maid or Servant)
    Any wall shelf (Riviera Wall Shelf or Mounted Box Shelf) for tabletop item floating

In this example, we’re going to stack some books. I’ve got these copies of The Five Ages but that stack of books just isn’t tall enough for me.
    So first the basics (Highlighting is on for emphasis)

Next I’m going to place the White Partition, Riviera Wall Shelf, and another set of The Five Ages.

I’m going to align the wall combo so that the books line up with each other (You can see the bottom set peeking through the shelf a bit).
    I’ll also mouseover the wall combo to show that all 3 items (wall/shelf/top set of books) are linked together. The bottom books are not highlighted.

Now the magic happens.
    Turn the Toggle Counter Surface Placement button OFF.

Make sure the Layout setting is on Move.
    Left-click the object you want to float (e.g. the top set of books in this example). The object will attempt to relocate on your mouse cursor.
    Right-click to cancel the relocation. The object will snap back to its original location, but with a small difference:

Highlighting the wall, you can see now only the wall/shelf is highlighted, and not the books.
    What happens is the connection between the shelved books and the wall/shelf combo is now broken.
    If you want to float several objects on the shelf at once, you can left + right-click each of them at this point and they will all disconnect.

Touching pretty much any other housing button will restore the connection so move the wall/shelf right away.

And the books are stacked! You can turn the Counter Surface button back on at this point (you can while moving the partition away).
    You can also freely rotate ex-tabletop items as well. The glitched object is actually just free-floating, so abuse it to your heart’s content.

This glitch can be done with wall-mounted objects as well, just skip the wall-shelf.

There are a few limitations.
    Tabletop/Wall-mounted items have a tendency to snap to surfaces placed too near them, so if you accidentally place a table too near the contact point of a floating object it will probably jump to it.
    Same if you attempt to float an object too close to the floor or a wall object too close to a wall or partition.
    (10)
    Last edited by Jeykama; 10-19-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Player
    Character
    Meru Maru
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Storage Glitch

A very simple glitch new with 4.1 storeroom feature.
    This will allow you to place objects in some places where the game usually won’t let you, like on stair landings.

In this example, I think my stair landing is too bare, so I’m going to decorate it some.
    Normally the game won’t let you put anything here even though it’s perfectly fine letting you run objects over it. What a tease… Well not anymore! HAH.

Make sure the object is in Storeroom - it won't work for objects in your inventory. In this example, I’m going to put a Combed Wool Rug on the landing.

Use Left-Click from the Storeroom menu to preview the placement, then Right-Click + Left-Click on Place to attempt to place an item.
    Storage positioning is based mainly on your camera position so it will take a lot of experimenting and shuffling to get it where you like.

The game might also keep saying no, so just just keep Left/Right-Clicking while shuffling to see where the boundaries are. It also helps being on a level-surface with what you’re placing.

This glitch can also be done outdoors to place objects on the front door landing. The boundaries seem to vary based on your house style though
    (e.g. the Large Shirogane Castle refuses to let me place anything to the left of the door, but the Carbuncle house seems to).

Also, this only really benefits Large homes (or the area above the stairwell in smaller homes), but you can use Storage glitch to free-float any tabletop/wall-mounted object as long as your character can get up there.
    This means you can easily free-float anything in the 2nd-story region of the open area using collideable objects such as The Five Ages or Zabuton Cushions as long as you have enough determination to position yourself!
    Keep in mind though that wall-mounted objects placed in this manner can't be rotated.

An example of the half-ass jump puzzle I threw together using a pillar as a base then some stacks of books
    (11)
    Last edited by Jeykama; 10-20-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Player
    Character
    Meru Maru
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Getting under the Staircase

This is a cool glitch involves some mastery of the floating glitch and some out-of-bounds magic.
    The gist is best explained by this video by LuckyAriane - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1VQyF9F21I

In a nutshell this glitch involves a bit of the floater glitch to place some The Five Ages as a vertical “ladder” and use their weird collision from jumping into them to launch out of bounds.
    Zabuton Cushions (bought from estate vendors) seem to work as well.

For large houses at least, I’ve found the simplest way to do it is just build the stack in the basement underneath the stairwell.

I’ve set up a couple copies of The Five Ages up in a nice clippable formation as seen here.

If I headbonk into the top set I’ll get stuck in a free-falling animation.
    We want this, but not right now (if you get stuck like this just relocate to the front door using the housing menu)

What we need to do is move this glitched double-stack upwards so the top set of books goes through the ceiling and into the staircase.
    It may take some playing with the Counter Surface button, but you can get the shelf and both books connected to each other.

What you want is at least 4 or 5 of the books from the top set to be sticking out of the ceiling.
    I built myself a little jumping playground to get up there. You do you.

In this formation if you get the headbump into the top stack right, you’ll be launched inside the staircase.
    If you want to, you can stick a bed inside very close to the bottom of the stairs - that way you can just /doze to shortcut inside.

Obviously you’re not limited to placing beds in this zone.
    Usually you get major collision issues placing objects near the stairwell, but from inside it’s basically a non-issue.

Alternative Method using Storage glitch

Thanks to a tip from Reddit user Mizzet, you can use the Storage glitch to get underneath your staircase and circumvent the whole jump clipping shenanigans.
    This is great for basement staircases (though imo the bed placing shenanigans is a lot harder and clipping is a lot more fun)

Using Storage glitch, you can very carefully force a bed inside the stairwell.
    I used a Riviera bed in my Mist Medium house's basement, standing just about the first step. This works from the ground floor as well.
    I am also able to do this from my Shirogane Large house basement by standing around the third step.
    Apparently Shirogane Small houses are missing geometry under the stairs so it is impossible to glitch inside.

Using /doze I'm able to get inside! Go into the housing menu and reposition the bed while lying on it to make sure you land inside.

(10)
    Last edited by Jeykama; 10-20-2017 at 05:27 AM.

Player
    Character
    Meru Maru
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Moving False Windows

4.1 brought us several really nice fake windows that react to game time. Unfortunately by default they can only be placed on real walls.
    Well, we can get around it pretty easily by abusing the snap feature that annoys everyone during float glitching.

As of 4.1 this applies to Fool’s Portal, Imitation Oblong Window, and Imitation Stained Crystal Ornament.

Yes, we have to place the window first on a real wall.

Next we place a partition (trusty White Partition) as close to the wall as possible. Disable Grid Snap for precision.

Then, when you exit the Layout editor, that window should snap onto the partition.

From here you can move the partition/window combo around freely, even rotate it.
    You can even toggle counter surface and remove the partition to leave it free-floating.

What you cannot do is move the window itself, so you will have to be extremely careful aligning the window in vertical space before putting it wherever it will ultimately be.

And just FYI the Fool’s Portal has one-way collision. Good for trapped fake doors.
    (12)
    Last edited by Jeykama; 10-19-2017 at 10:05 AM.

Player
    Character
    Meru Maru
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Sit and Doze posing on different surfaces

While not really a placement glitch, your posterior is not limited to mundane chairs or beds to sit or doze upon!
    Many surfaces, as long as it's close above an existing chair or bed, will cause your character to snap to them when you use the /sit or /doze emotes!

Here are some examples:

Display Stand and Glade Stool

Riviera Bed and White Half-Partition

And if you fail at sticking a bed under the stairwell for the stairwell clip, there are sometimes positive aspects to that.

(12)
    Last edited by Jeykama; 10-19-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Player
    Character
    Meru Maru
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Using Storage glitch to float basically anything, even non-attaching Furniture

Thanks to a discovery by Twitter user @noisy_loud and some translation work on the subreddit, we can now float pretty much everything!
    This glitch works by replacing an object mid-placement in one Storeroom category with one in the same slot in the general Storeroom list.
    The main limitations of this glitch is that it can only be used to place objects on horizontal permanent house fixtures, i.e. wall trim, above windows, railings, fencing.

The range of applicable surfaces varies based on your house's architecture/windows/doors so not all options may be available!
    i.e. it's impossible to do this glitch on Chocobo house doors/windows, but quite easy with Shirogane Castle doors/windows.
    The variations on the house railing bars and deco also offers different surfaces.

First, you need to organize your Storeroom lists. (this is a tribulation for homes that relocated)
    The glitch works by "placing" one object in a sublist with an object in the same slot in the Display All list.
    In this example I will use an object in slot 5 Wall-mounted's Galleass Wheel to float the slot 5 Display All's Masonwork Stove.
    The specific sublist object you use doesn't matter, but Wall-mounted items demonstrate the process best.

Next, you need to keybind System tab > Display Subcommand to something convenient.

Left-click the temp object to bring it out of storage (make sure Movement is active). You can toggle between the Storeroom lists to verify the object you want to actually place.

Here are some examples of surfaces that work, like the lower trim of walls and occasionally horizontal surfaces of windows and doors.
    It's easy to see on Wall-mounted objects because the crosshair goes horizontal.

Partitions and other furnishings do NOT qualify as surfaces, only permanent house fixtures.

Without clicking, hit your Subcommand menu keybind, which will bring up this submenu near the furniture. Hit the Subcommand keybind again to Place.

And voila! If you did it right, for no reason whatsoever the Masonwork Stove gets placed where the Wheel was.
    (The temp object is returned to Storeroom no harm done)
    You can freely rotate the object in this state as long as it's not a Wall-mounted type.

As mentioned earlier, most any permanent horizontal surface works, even stairs and tops of fencing!
    Heck even the "Mt. Fuji" designs on the railings work, as does that open wall on the top floors of mansions.

The nature of this glitch means that unfortunately rugs can't be floated as they are always last on the Display All list.
    (10)
    Last edited by Jeykama; 11-07-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Player
    Character
    Zajeel Zugunruhe
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 70
    i have put the stack of books on a couch or seat to give it a mini booster seat. can also put book on a bed area near the head. if you go on top of it and /doze you will float on top of the books over the bed or laying surface
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Kaja White
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Oh my gosh you are a saint. I was just saying how irritated I was I couldn't put the windows on partitions. I will use the window trick right away *squeeee*
    (1)

Character
    Beckard Arseneau
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Great stuff! Being able to put stuff on the landing or near the stairs is really going to open up some possibilities!
    (2)

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast