Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    Player
    Character
    Leona Valesti
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    I've been coaching my girlfriend on healing. We get a lot of tanks that are new. One of them said to us, "Please, God, go easy on me, I'm a new tank." It can be brutal for tanks, and my heart goes out to them.

Aelio, everything you've said is correct. I wanted to voice my support.

I also wanted to add this in response to Canadane's comments about "greatness."

Part of being great is being a great person. That means adapting to the needs of the party. It also means knowing when to push someone and when not to.

I don't tank much. This has happened to me once. I didn't mind. I learned how to heal better from the AST in the group. It taught me nothing about tanking.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Malora Lyra
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Legit had someone do this to me today in amdapor. Didn’t even give me a chance to run and grab things just ran ahead. I asked them to stop and ended up being told what a bad tank I am for “not pulling right”. Then continued to tell me what a bad tank I was after I left the dungeon through /tell. It honestly sucks especially when you are trying to level or even just trying to relearn. Although I wasn’t even given the chance to pull or grab anything. Even when I tried to grab the stuff they pulled they kites away from me so I gave up and sat down. Figured they wanted to tank on whm. -shrugs-
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by MaloraYuki View Post
    Legit had someone do this to me today in amdapor. Didn’t even give me a chance to run and grab things just ran ahead. I asked them to stop and ended up being told what a bad tank I am for “not pulling right”. Then continued to tell me what a bad tank I was after I left the dungeon through /tell. It honestly sucks especially when you are trying to level or even just trying to relearn. Although I wasn’t even given the chance to pull or grab anything. Even when I tried to grab the stuff they pulled they kites away from me so I gave up and sat down. Figured they wanted to tank on whm. -shrugs-
    Proper pulling, if the rest of your party is competent, will usually consistent of sprinting the last possible moment before the first pack of mobs is engaged (which would cost you half your Sprint duration), getting enmity on each mob in each group you pull without stopping to be excessively hit, and continuing to pull until the last pack before a gate. In some rare cases, you may break one weirdly long possible pull into two for survivability, assuming you don't have sufficient party cooldowns, or, if a mob group before the last unlocks the gate, and only a single pack would remain after it, the last pack may be saved to pair with the future possible pull.

Put simply, get used to maximizing your sprint and expecting your party to do the same. The rest will come naturally after a couple attempts of the particular dungeon, while more generic dungeons won't even require a learning period beyond that general idea -- sprint to the end.

I suspect the main error you were likely making -- since so many do -- was to not sprint at all, or to sprint only after combat has begun -- giving you 10 seconds, down from 20.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Malora Lyra
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Shurrikhan View Post
    Proper pulling, if the rest of your party is competent, will usually consistent of sprinting the last possible moment before the first pack of mobs is engaged (which would cost you half your Sprint duration), getting enmity on each mob in each group you pull without stopping to be excessively hit, and continuing to pull until the last pack before a gate. In some rare cases, you may break one weirdly long possible pull into two for survivability, assuming you don't have sufficient party cooldowns, or, if a mob group before the last unlocks the gate, and only a single pack would remain after it, the last pack may be saved to pair with the future possible pull.

Put simply, get used to maximizing your sprint and expecting your party to do the same. The rest will come naturally after a couple attempts of the particular dungeon, while more generic dungeons won't even require a learning period beyond that general idea -- sprint to the end.

I suspect the main error you were likely making -- since so many do -- was to not sprint at all, or to sprint only after combat has begun -- giving you 10 seconds, down from 20.
    The other two in the dungeon queued in with me and knew exactly what I was doing. The healer was a sprout who wanted to run ahead and harass the party. Like he would regen me before a pull and then run and pull things that didn’t even need to be pulled and then complain I wasn’t doing my job. The whole party told him to stop. The healer was in the wrong, plus seeing a sprout healer doesn’t exactly say pull wall to wall that’s usually a good way to die. I’ll pull wall to wall if I know I can handle it and the healer seems to be able to handle it, but a sprout nah.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Frizze Steeleblaze
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by MaloraYuki View Post
    I wont comment on your pulling, as i wasnt there. Giving up and sitting down is never a good look, but im not responding because of that either. You need to report people like this(i hope you did). Not agreeing with how you played is fine - they can have their own opinion afterall. But harassing you during the dungeon and continuing to do so via /tell afterwards is a blatant violation of the ToS for the game. If they cant learn to play nice then they dont need to play at all. Let those people either pick a new game to ruin or just group with their own kind.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rena Kisaragi
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 80
    First of all no one can speak for anyone's experience and I don't make any assumption on how anyone here plays or their experiences.

From my experience on this topic I feel it 50/50 between a Tank issue and a Healer/DPS issue. Defintely sometimes you get party members who are gung ho and just run at mobs before other pack is dead. Its annoying and disrespectful to the tank. It especially worse when other players pull mobs intentionally because they feel tank is doing to small packs.

However there other situation where issue is with tank. Tank is leader of the group and can decide size of pulls. However you get tank who just sit/afk for 10+ seconds after a pack dies. It pretty frustrating to see. Immediately once a pack dies, Tank should already be moving forward. There so many times where party is moving at a normal pace, not rushing. But Tank is trailing behind because they go afk after each fight. The rest of the party isn't trying to rush a head, it just tank is being way to slow for someone who should always be at the head of the group.

Both situations are just as common from my experience. Some heal/dps just rush way to fast, and just as many tanks are slow and lazy about continuing after finishing a pack.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Malora Lyra
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Frizze View Post
    I wont comment on your pulling, as i wasnt there. Giving up and sitting down is never a good look, but im not responding because of that either. You need to report people like this(i hope you did). Not agreeing with how you played is fine - they can have their own opinion afterall. But harassing you during the dungeon and continuing to do so via /tell afterwards is a blatant violation of the ToS for the game. If they cant learn to play nice then they dont need to play at all. Let those people either pick a new game to ruin or just group with their own kind.
    Oh I did, talked with a GM and everything ended up back in a dungeon with them twice after where they did the same thing only they were blacklisted so I couldn’t see anything they said. And I tried to catch them tried to pull off of them they ran away from me then called me names so I sat down. I told him to stop, I tried to pull off of him. He wouldn’t let me. Not my job to chase a troll around. But yes he was reported and blacklisted.

I admit I was struggling that run tho, the healer just made it worse.
    (0)
    Last edited by MaloraYuki; 07-29-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Player
    Character
    Frizze Steeleblaze
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    Its pretty lame that blacklist doesnt stop you from being matched together by the duty finder, but thats not a new situation. Someone being that aggressively dumb... there isnt much you can do to stop stupid. And struggling with a run isnt a crime one needs to admit to(isnt a crime at all, we all have bad days), but hopefully it can serve as a learning experience to lessen future struggles.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Calista Fallon
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    My healer stopped running dungeons period!
    (1)
    "Fanboy is gaming jargon used to describe an individual that has gone beyond the point of being a PC or console game fan and, during online chats or discussions, shifts to defend the program at all costs, unable to take any criticism or acknowledge any shortcomings of the game or gaming console."

Player
    Character
    King Canadane
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynesse View Post
    I also wanted to add this in response to Canadane's comments about "greatness."

Part of being great is being a great person. That means adapting to the needs of the party. It also means knowing when to push someone and when not to.
    Catching up backwards in the topic, but yeah you're not wrong. Obviously when someone is new, or isn't geared appropriately you'll tune your settings a bit.
    So in that aspect you're absolutely right and it probably should have been something I mentioned.

But you can't forget there's another hand in all this. It's kinda two different and almost unrelated situations. Like in an expert roulette for example, where people are going to have mostly up to date gear, or a level 50/60 cap dungeon when everyones over the level sync, you'll know that you should be able to go full force. There is the general expectation that someone knows their job basics enough by this point that they can handle it. Sadly, sometimes people can't play at what's considered that normal basic level, even though they have the gear for it. Be it lack of experience in doing so or whatever, and that's the time you find yourself running into issues like what this topic was about, about large pulls in general, or whatever.
    (1)

http://king.canadane.com

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9