Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 123

Thread: DPS frustration

  1. #1
    Player
    Sylvina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,102
    Character
    Sylvina Eon
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 70

    DPS frustration

    Tanking is easy. Healing is not much harder. so WHY does it have to be so difficult to do passable dps in this game?

    My warrior easily outdpses my black mage in ex trials becuase black mage has to juggle a short timer with a fairly complex rotation, while white mage can do about half as much damage by spamming ONE button!

    If anyone can offer advice or help I'd appreciate it becuase I'm about ready to give up on dps in this game. definitely not the easy job it's made out to be, dps should be commended on their dedication and months of practice they put in to get that 3k+ dps.
    (2)

  2. #2
    Player
    Miste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ul'dah
    Posts
    1,684
    Character
    Miste Vaer
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvina View Post
    Tanking is easy. Healing is not much harder. so WHY does it have to be so difficult to do passable dps in this game?

    My warrior easily outdpses my black mage in ex trials becuase black mage has to juggle a short timer with a fairly complex rotation, while white mage can do about half as much damage by spamming ONE button
    Well....technically WAR shouldn't out dps a BLM. WAR does quite good DPS though. Healer DPS rotation will never be complex because their healing is supposed to be the complex part of the job (although ....yeah not necessarily succeeded in doing that)

    Are your WAR and BLM same item level? Item level matters. The bigger gap in item level the more perfect you have to play to surpass someone with better gear, even a tank. (Also to note Weapon is extremely important when it comes to how much DPS you do)

    BLM is sort of difficult to master when it comes to fights, because you have to learn the dance really well to reduce movement and to know when mechanics are happening so you can move between casts ahead of time or slide cast and of course when to use Triple Cast during heavy movement mechanics and such.

    So likely if you have an understanding of BLMs rotation then it might be that you have too much extra movement or not planning ahead well enough?

    Sorry if none of that is helpful, just throwing out some perspectives/ideas.


    Oh also I mean it is possible BLM just isn't the type of job suited for you, so maybe try a different DPS job. They all play differently and you might find one you like better. This doesn't mean for you to give up though just a possibility. If you like BLM then practice is key and just keep trying to learn it better.
    (38)
    Last edited by Miste; 09-23-2017 at 10:52 PM.
    YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngCsbkiPgvfNgQClxifVkw


  3. #3
    Player
    Sylvina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,102
    Character
    Sylvina Eon
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 70
    Problem is I want to play BLM no other dps job except maybe dragoon appeals to me as much and I definitely don't want to have to deal with positionals. Also leveling more dps classes is a royal pain in the butt. Queue times are ridiculous. I got RDM to 61 and then never wanted to touch it again despite doing better on it than any dps previously..
    (1)

  4. #4
    Player
    Taika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,150
    Character
    Evy Rain
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 70
    It just takes a lot more time to get DPS rotation properly into your muscle memory so you can keep pushing it even while doing mechanics or when something unexpected happens or when you don't know the fight well and are nervous. Practice, practice, practice. I know what you're talking about, having had similar issues changing from healer to DDs.

    I also agree that good DDs are very underappreciated in this game and many don't understand how much work it really requires (for some it of course comes more "naturally" and easily than others).

    I disagree with DDs being a pain to level: combine quest, exp bonus FATEs, roulettes and relevant dungeons and you'll get to 70 in no time at all (and don't forget your challenge log!).
    (11)
    Evy Rain from Phoenix

  5. #5
    Player
    ArcaviusGreyashe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    580
    Character
    Ositha Web
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    With all due respect... Maybe because you're not good enough as a BLM ? Not getting 3k+ is bad, and the WAR rotation (if it can be called a rotation, it's more complex than that) is more complex than the BLM one... The BLM rotation is hard because you have to optimize your casts and move when you need to, but it's one of the simplest rotations of the game...

    You only sound to me as... I don't know, a whiny one. Every job is hard in his own way, and WAR, PLD, and DRK are, to me, much harder than BLM. I never played BLM, granted, but I do play NIN, and sure, my NIN is less good than my WAR or PLD is... But I don't think NIN is harder. I practiced WAR for weeks before getting some numbers, and I may be a better NIN in a shorter time. Once you know how to optimize one job, optimizing another one is easier, and if you're that good of a WAR, then you'll be a good BLM in no time, once you start practicing.
    (23)

  6. #6
    Player
    Miste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ul'dah
    Posts
    1,684
    Character
    Miste Vaer
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvina View Post
    Problem is I want to play BLM
    Well if you like BLM then stick with it and practice. I mean some suggestions would be....like

    1. Learn the fight rotation as best as you can to avoid unnecessary movement and to preempt mechanics to lessen casting downtime.

    2. Learn when to use your cooldowns for each fight to maximize their usefulness.

    3. Practicing rotation on striking dummy or Stone, Sky, Sea.

    4. Go into multiple kinds of content on BLM to practice, even Expert roulette. The more you play it the better you'll get naturally.

    5. Look up rotation guides for BLM, and look up BLM point of view videos on youtube for content you wish to do on BLM to see how other BLM's handle fights.

    6. Don't blindly follow other BLMs though, finding out what works for you even if it isn't 100% optimized sometimes is the better way to go.



    Quote Originally Posted by ArcaviusGreyashe View Post
    Maybe because you're not good enough as a BLM ?
    You only sound to me as... I don't know, a whiny one.
    Excuse you, but this was unnecessary. They were asking for help in order to improve...trying to put them down is rude.

    Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. Just because they are having trouble with BLM doesn't mean they are "whiny" some people learn certain jobs easier than others and the difficulty of the job might depend entirely on the person and less so the mechanics of the job itself.
    (36)
    Last edited by Miste; 09-23-2017 at 11:09 PM.
    YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngCsbkiPgvfNgQClxifVkw


  7. #7
    Player
    Sylvina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,102
    Character
    Sylvina Eon
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcaviusGreyashe View Post
    With all due respect... Maybe because you're not good enough as a BLM ?
    Dude of course I'm not good enough at BLM I wouldn't be asking for help if I was. Is it "Whining" to ask for help?
    (31)

  8. #8
    Player
    ArcaviusGreyashe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    580
    Character
    Ositha Web
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Miste View Post
    Excuse you, but this was unnecessary. They were asking for help in order to improve...trying to put them down is rude.
    Alright, I'll admit my words were harsh, but what I meant to say was "No job is easier than another, and I don't know how to play BLM, but I know that eventually, you'll get it, so it would've been better to just ask for advices, instead of complaining on the tanks, that didn't ask for anything". I didn't mean to be rude or anything like that.

    I know it's frustrating to have low numbers when you're doing your best, simply because you don't know how to optimize and so. But I also said that with time, and with experience, everyone can be a good player in any classes he wishes.

    So yeah, sorry for that, but it was an... harsh encouragement, in the end, not an insult.
    (4)

  9. #9
    Player
    Sylvina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,102
    Character
    Sylvina Eon
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 70
    "No job is easier than another" is innacurate, or at the very least unproveable. my own experience shows I can tank and do decent dps (for a tank) far more easily while holding aggro and not dying. This would indicate tanking is easier. It might not explain the large number of awful tanks however.
    (1)

  10. #10
    Player
    Pence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Limsa Lominsa
    Posts
    1,457
    Character
    Bravo Whiskey
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 70
    Firstly....3k DPS doesn't require 'months of dedication'. It's borderline bad / unacceptable. You have not given anything specific for us to go on. How do you expect help? You want us to piece together a broken record while blindfolded?
    (16)

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast