Player
    Character
    Flutter Butter
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90

We need more Tonberries [spoilers]

For those of us who have either done the sch quest-line to any extent or completed the wanderer's palace (hard). We know that Tonberries are wonderful souls who need a lot more involvement in Limsa lominsa... even if its filled with oath breaking pirates now >.>'

I feel they would bring a lot more to the story for the mere fact that they are literally ancient Nymians with untold knowledge of magic and martial techniques.

What do you guys think? I personally would love to see more involvement from our green fish babies.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Kalin Orthos
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 80
    If you've done the SCH quests, you should know that people are absolutely terrified of tonberries, and for good reasons. They have thick hides that make them resistant to damage and are extremely powerful with their knives and cleavers. The Nymians that have become fully feral are beyond redemption and exist pretty much exclusively to kill, with the intelligent ones sequestered away by Surito for their own safety from the world. Having more tonberries in the world seems like an exceptionally bad thing, as it would mean the plague in the Wanderer's Palace is re-released.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by KalinOrthos View Post
    If you've done the SCH quests, you should know that people are absolutely terrified of tonberries, and for good reasons. They have thick hides that make them resistant to damage and are extremely powerful with their knives and cleavers. The Nymians that have become fully feral are beyond redemption and exist pretty much exclusively to kill, with the intelligent ones sequestered away by Surito for their own safety from the world. Having more tonberries in the world seems like an exceptionally bad thing, as it would mean the plague in the Wanderer's Palace is re-released
    The thing is, during the level 50-60 SCH quests you actually end up discovering the real source of the tonberry plague, it's a vase with a voidsent named Mormo sealed inside it that was used by Mhach during the War of the Magi to destroy Nym - as the player destroys Mormo's body and his vase during the level 60 SCH quest the plague is finally destroyed for good.

Sadly that doesn't help those already turned, but it means that no one needs to fear becoming a tonberry from then on.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Faire Eravyn
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    As a person who both mains a scholar and is highly interested in lore related to the War of the Magi, I do admit that them having a larger presence would be fascinating! At the moment, it is true that the vast majority of Lominsans kill them on sight though. In fact, the whole SCH quest was kicked off partially due to attempts to murder the cute little green guys. Although, the feral ones can be redeemed. This is shown through both Surito Cairo's story itself, as well as the many Tonberries who have begun to overcome the rancor shown in Wanderer's Palace Hard. Surito himself has been described as working hard to free as many as he can, and he's been successful to at least some extent.

Also, their knowledge is slowly starting to trickle back towards Lominsan society, with Alka Zoka training in ancient Nymian tactics. His following seems to be rather limited though. Why he hasn't introduced Scholarly magic to the Arcanist's guild is another story entirely. If I had to guess though, they'll only continue to show up in the SCH storyline, unless perhaps we have a whole expansion delegated to exploring the War of the Magi.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Kodoyaki Takoyaki
    World
    Sephirot
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 64
    They certainly are lovable cucumber people.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Kalin Orthos
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidoh View Post
    The thing is, during the level 50-60 SCH quests you actually end up discovering the real source of the tonberry plague, it's a vase with a voidsent named Mormo sealed inside it that was used by Mhach during the War of the Magi to destroy Nym - as the player destroys Mormo's body and his vase during the level 60 SCH quest the plague is finally destroyed for good.
    True, but who's to say Mormo is a one-time case? If any of the Dalamud cult manage to replicate the voidsent illness, it could theoretically be re-released.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidoh View Post

Sadly that doesn't help those already turned, but it means that no one needs to fear becoming a tonberry from then on.
    Mormo is the voidsent succubus from the THM quest lines. The voidsent who caused the Nymian plague is Bitoso. Both, however, were sealed in urns, lol.

Also, at the end of the Lv70 SCH quests, you leave Surito Carito researching a potential cure for the plague with newfound (to him) Amdapori knowledge. (In addition to apparently studying Bitoso's remains which he's been doing since the Lv60 questline)

I would be fairly surprised if Tonberries ever leapt out of the job quest realm, but I would be 100% for it. After all, with patch # = canon, it could just as easily be an area/settlement like the Doman Enclave. Something you can't access until sufficient quest progress allows it.
    (1)
    Last edited by Rocl; 09-20-2017 at 03:51 AM.

Player
    Character
    Siesta Fiesta
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 80
    Is it just me, or did the 60-70 SCH quests really spin their wheels on the cure storyline? When Surito said that he was researching a cure, I thought it was a sign that we would be helping him with that, and instead we got sidetracked with something completely unrelated that feels completely out of left field.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Maximum Powerful
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    60-70 sch is all about the love of a lala and a tonberry. that's it lol
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterysword View Post
    Is it just me, or did the 60-70 SCH quests really spin their wheels on the cure storyline? When Surito said that he was researching a cure, I thought it was a sign that we would be helping him with that, and instead we got sidetracked with something completely unrelated that feels completely out of left field.
    I actually don't remember the specifics of how we got where we did, lol. Wasn't it Surito looking for a cure, one of his researchers (?) not returning and you finding Setoto (said missing 'berry)? Setoto then being like "hey my dad was a Nymian spy who went to steal secrets of Amdapori recovery magic when the plague first started (in order to cure me!)," you finding his effects and then the misguided attempts of her partially summoned family's fairy (Lilac) to lead you to finishing the father's mission? (Taking the Kuribu gem back to Nym for use in developing a cure). It's certainly roundabout but I think there was a decent through line.
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast